Electrical Help!!!

sweber_7

Reaction score
Visit site
This might be a very simple fix or a very big problem. As I was installing my new exhaust and a new fender eliminator I wanted to see how the signals looked. When I turned the key on (with the kill switch engaged) and hit the turn signal nothing happened. It didnt indicate it on the dash or on the actual blinker. Since then when i do the same thing the front running lights dont turn on like they usually did. Any help would be great

Thanks Sam

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Considering all turn signals are not working, I think it's safe to say it's not a bulb problem. You probably shorted something while poking around and blew the fuse. Check that and replace.

EDIT: Also make sure to double check all of the connections and that they aren't exposed and/or touching other metal parts.

sweber_7

Reaction score
Visit site
Considering all turn signals are not working, I think it's safe to say it's not a bulb problem. You probably shorted something while poking around and blew the fuse. Check that and replace.

EDIT: Also make sure to double check all of the connections and that they aren't exposed and/or touching other metal parts.

I'm really terrible with electrical so could your point me to the fuses :squid:

I Just took it for a ride and the running lights dont work either. This lead to me getting pulled over. No ticket or written warning just a compliment on the exhaust :thumbup:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
:rtfm: Lol :thumbup:

FZ6 owners Manual - P 6-31 (2005 anyway)

The fuse block is located inside the right side rear faring pod beside your seat. Pop the seat off and remove 1 Allen head bolt, then pull the faring pod off (it can be tight as it's held in by rubber mounts so give it a good pull outwards).

Should be FUSE #2 - Signaling system fuse (2nd from the rear). It is a 10 Amp fuse so if it's blown, make sure to replace with the same amperage fuse. You can visually tell if a sue is blown by holding it up and having a close look at it. If it's blown, the little 'wire' that runs through the middle of the fuse with have a break in it and there will proabbly be some carbon/burn makrs on it. It will look like this:

electronics_fuse_blown.jpg

051007_ChangeFusePR_2_small.jpg

There are several 'SPARE' fuses located in the fuse block as well, but if you use one of them, make sure to go out and buy some extra ones to replace them. I carry a full set of extra fuses with me in a zip lock bag neaxt to my tool pouch on the bike.

Your problem sounds like a blown fuse as nothing at all with your signals are working. If you put a new fuse it and it blows again, then you have some incorrect wiring or a short that you need to track down. 9 out of 10 times it's a wire wired in backwards - a positive (+) wire is hooked up to a negative wire (-) or vise versa.

Last edited: