Electric-motorcycles

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I keep seeing more and more of these cool machines:

2015 Energica Ego Video Review

- and immediately think of the following advantages they have :
1. Minimal engine wear since there are not many moving parts and there are no explosive impacts.
2. The power of the bike can be adjusted as per rider's choice. It is easy to reduce power in return for a better riding range, and pull out max power when needed, without any sort of mechanical modification.
3. It should be a easy to swap out engines, since electric motors are pretty compact and can be engineered to be easily serviceable.
4. For quick battery charges, I think it is easier to replace batteries from bikes since they are not extremely bulky or heavy.
5. If a standard for electric motors and batteries for automobiles are followed, you will need to buy one bike for your lifetime - since upgrades are just a swap of battery/motor if needed.

I may have an electric-motorcycle as my next one, that is as soon as they make it a bit affordable. Or maybe build one on a R1 frame. IMO, if any company comes forward with "Conversion Kits", it would be awesome.What do you guys think?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Electric bike would work for me for commuting just fine, but obviously would not work for epic rides. They'd need to add stations everywhere, where you could swap batteries within minutes to get infinite range, like we get now with gasoline.

The concept is great, but technology hasn't quite caught up. Electric bikes still weigh more than gasoline equivalents and range is somewhat limited. Hopefully they'll keep making progress and these things will make a lot more sense one day soon.

I'd ride this right now if someone gave me one :D

Mission Motors / Mission R

Karate.Snoopy

Reaction score
Visit site
My neighbor works for Brammo, they have put a lot of money into this bike. Bit on the expensive end but they swear by their product.
Her boss who lives in Boston area will be bringing it over and she has promised me that she would try to convince him to let me test ride it

http://www.brammo.com/home/

You will get a tax credit

https://www.brammo.com/buy/

oh and you can also trade in your 1 year old Brammo for a full MSRP toward the purchase of a newer model.
5 Yr , 50 K mile warranty.
Priced at 15k USD seems like a pretty nice deal

Brammo-Empulse-3.jpg

Last edited:

patrickb37

Reaction score
Visit site
There's a couple other advantages:
1) Torque - max torque at 0rpm
2) Handling - supposedly better since there is no reciprocating mass

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This one caught my eye today; Zero SR

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfkqdbRqmbo]Zero SR - YouTube[/ame]

143,7 Nm and 0-100 in 3,3 second as well as an extended range of 275 km :thumbup:

Last edited:

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Obviously there's no infrastructure for it yet.

I will wait until perhaps Gen 3 starts becoming more mainstream.

The luxury of being an early adopter is too expensive.

Also I should start investing money into faux exhaust systems. I am sure there will be great market for people who miss the obnoxiously loud mufflers.:D

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually like the whine of a high powered electric motor, but it's still pretty quiet. You're already invisible on a bike with a stock exhaust. What's less visible than invisible when nobody can hear you at all?

There actually are some exhaust simulators for electric cars for this very reason, though they can also be turned off.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually like the whine of a high powered electric motor, but it's still pretty quiet. You're already invisible on a bike with a stock exhaust. What's less visible than invisible when nobody can hear you at all?

There actually are some exhaust simulators for electric cars for this very reason, though they can also be turned off.
I believe that the exhaust simulators are predominantly to warn pedestrian traffic. Not wishing to ignite the "Loud pipes save lives debate". Relying on an audible presence isn't a great safety strategy, defensive riding is the way to go.
I really like the sound of the electric bikes and look forward to the continued development.

Nelly

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I agree you should be defensive regardless of how big or how loud you are, though I've found when you make more noise, there are fewer situations where people ignore you.

Jorosv

Reaction score
Visit site
Mostmnew electric bikes are pretyy good on the figures, and to those that think loud bikes are " more" visible keep lying to yourself a grab a book about sound cause it is not hwo it travels, a good example is the tire whine from a big truck - ou hardly notice is as it is approaching and then you hear the howl as it passes by. Loud pipes are mostly consumer bling and a performance modification not a safety one. Sorry about the off-topic.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting that this topic came up. At the Barber Vintage Festival last month they featured two folks who had worked for Ducati (Pierre Terblanche and Miguel Angel Galluzzi) Pierre created the Ducati Supermono and Miguel designed the Ducati Monster. Both of them said they thought the future was electric motorcycles - blew me away! Would have never thought but they said the recent bikes they had ridden convinced them. Bought a Volt a couple of weeks ago because it was a great price after all the rebates and used my GM card credits. Not a fast car but adequate and so quiet and smooth. A total change from my bike but gets me there and back comfortable and is entertaining to drive. No I am not a tree hugger, did not do it because I'm trying to save the ..... A nice car at a good price.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting that this topic came up. At the Barber Vintage Festival last month they featured two folks who had worked for Ducati (Pierre Terblanche and Miguel Angel Galluzzi) Pierre created the Ducati Supermono and Miguel designed the Ducati Monster. Both of them said they thought the future was electric motorcycles - blew me away! Would have never thought but they said the recent bikes they had ridden convinced them. Bought a Volt a couple of weeks ago because it was a great price after all the rebates and used my GM card credits. Not a fast car but adequate and so quiet and smooth. A total change from my bike but gets me there and back comfortable and is entertaining to drive. No I am not a tree hugger, did not do it because I'm trying to save the ..... A nice car at a good price.

I mean, I think it's pretty obvious that the future is electric. At least that will be the next phase.

I don't think it's the end all answer to our problems.

Production of batteries ain't easy nor cheap. it will become cheaper with the increase in economies of scale of the production. but with the greater demand will come increased price for rare earth minerals that are needed for a production of these batteries.

I sat on few Zero motorcycle and I wasn't all that impressed, by their ergonomics or their weight. Suspension felt very weak. But let's keep in mind that these are Gen 1 versions.

I know that I won't buy an electric bike or a car for that matter until you can show me statistical study on the performance of these batteries and their efficiency in cold weather, as well as a dependent infrastructure to allow for a convenient recharging.

For commuting, I could probably see myself buying an electric car the size of the British Mini Cooper. Over a week I do about 140 miles of just commuting. Charging the car just at home would be more than sufficient.

America is a huge country with vastly spread out population in most cases. We are used to driving 100, 400 or a 1200 miles (in my case) in a day to visit family etc. Until the infrastructure is there, electric cars will not take off to the mainstream. I guess I am just stating obvious. Blahh.

Jorosv

Reaction score
Visit site
America is a huge country with vastly spread out population in most cases. We are used to driving 100, 400 or a 1200 miles (in my case) in a day to visit family etc. Until the infrastructure is there, electric cars will not take off to the mainstream. I guess I am just stating obvious. Blahh.

That's just America tho for most eruopean countries 300 km range is quite a lot

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hopefully the battery technology will get there. From what I hear, some electric cars are starting to achieve ranges similar to ICE cars.

Motorcycles still have a way to go. 60 mile ranges just aren't going to cut it, except as a city commuter.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude the newer bikes get around 150 miles range not 60

There's an article in a recent cycle world where the bikes on test are only getting about 60. I don't know if that's poor model selection or what.

150 is getting better! another hundred or so to go.

patrickb37

Reaction score
Visit site
Range depends a lot on how fast you're going. Example for a ZERO S zf11.4:
City 137 miles (220 km)
Highway, 55 mph (88 km/h) 85 miles (137 km)
» Combined 105 miles (169 km)
Highway, 70 mph (112 km/h) 70 miles (113 km)
» Combined 93 miles (149 km)

Jorosv

Reaction score
Visit site
The Jay leno one claims 250 -270 kms of highway riding and more in town, how perplexing is that the range is higher in town :D