Electirc Power Drain When Touring

larcklorn

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2007 FZ6 that I took this weekend from Indianapolis, IN to Blue Ridge, GA (about 500 miles) - driving back up tomorrow. I ran into a problem riding down. Due to the weather (temps ranging from 40 to 32 on the way down) I had to buy a heated vest and have not used the grips extensively.

I just replaced my battery two months ago with a interstate CYCLE-TRON II - 125 CCA - 10 AH.

I have the other following mods that will help answering my question:

Heated Grips: Direct to battery - input 12v, output probably around 60 watts (not exactly sure as I do not know the brand

USB Power Adapter (fairing mounted): Direct to battery - input 12v, output 5v, 1 amp

Tourmaster Heated Jacket: Powerlet plug - draw of 65 watts, 5.4 amps

I know that the grips will drain the battery pretty quickly if the bike is not running, but I figured I was ok on the ride. During the ride had the following happen with the gips on, vest on medium, and my droid phone doing navigation and music, and lights on bright. During the ride the engine light comes on - so I pull over and turn the bike off along with all electrics, all looks fine and go to start the bike, but it will not turn over and the lights start to fade on the screen. I push start and no engine light comes on. I gradually turn on some electronics - vest, grips, and phone and notice the phone is not charging very well and the grips not heating as much.

I researched on here, but only found a few articles on overall power management:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/1827-fz6-electrical-power.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/12181-need-more-power-electrical-power.html

Two questions:

Am I just using too much power from all items running at once?

Is there any way to better manage the battery power or increase it?

What do you guys do that are touring to help out?

Thanks again - luckly it is supposed to be in the 60's for most of the day on the way back up and will not need everything on - hopefully...

Any help you can provide would be helpful.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From other info I've gathered you're easily 40 watts over the top on your charging system. If your bike has recharged the battery and you know the charging system is functioning you'll probably be okay to head back on your trip. If you need your heated grips or jacket and extras I would advise you do some power management. The FZ6 does not have the headroom for too many ancillaries at one time. Also remember that the charging system will need higher rpm (2000+ rpm) before it starts to do any meaningful charging. Maybe you can switch between jacket and grips and make sure you shut them off well ahead of when you think you'll be stopping the bike.

Another thing is if your grips are direct to the battery could there be a draw when the bike is shut down? I've heard complaints on this a number of times.

larcklorn

Reaction score
Visit site
Good thinking. I don't plan in using either so I should be good to go. Now just need to figure out next steps.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

S

Shamus McFeeley

I added a small LED battery gauge to give me a better idea about what the bike is doing. I would prefer to have a ammeter, but have not found something I like yet. I also added a switch to my dual low beams so that I can turn them off if I start overtaxing the charging system. Some people have experimented with relays as well to manage their power.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, when slowing for stop sign/red light/ slow traffic, I turn OFF all the high draw wattage items (under 4,000 RPM's). I'd turn the HB light off too unless really needed in those particular conditions.. A slow draw down of the battery is the the worst way to wear out a battery...

I use a heated vest and heated gloves (with a variable heat controller) and haven't had a problem. You should be ok leaving the GPS on...

I've also done this on my old KLR 250 (much smaller battery and charging system) and have been fine...