Educate me on Chains

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay guys. This may sound like a naive question given that I've been riding for several years now and logged 40k+ miles.

I frequently read about people replacing their chains and going to a "520" chain. What does this mean exactly? After a quick google search, my Triumph takes a "525". Why is one better than the other?

I fundamentally get why people change the sprocket sizes.

Once again, sorry if this seems mundane to you.

Rob

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Motorcycle Chain Sizes | Dimensions Guide
"Those with a chain number of 520 have an inner width of 6.35 mm. If the chain number is 525, the inner width is 7.95 mm. If the chain number is 530, the inner width is 9.53."

Simply put, the width of the rollers on a smaller chain is narrower. It cuts down on weight on rotating parts, but also wears out faster because of reduced surface area.

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
Different size chain. A 520 chain is smaller than the stock fz6 chain and therefore cheaper. Other than cost I can't think of any real reason to switch.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
People switch because they want to shave off a lb or two. The stock chain on the FZ6 or a 530 chain will outlast a 520 chain.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
The general rule is that for anything above 600cc, you want a 530 or bigger.
I went with a 520 swap simply because I needed a new chain and sprockets and thought it would be neat.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, keep it clean and lubed. I did this every 3-500 miles on my FZ1 and when I sold it with 19k the chain was like new. No slack, no sticky links and I rode that bike hard.
Stay with what Yamaha says, use Kerosene to clean and a good lube. I use the honda pro lube chain lube because it is so clean and did not mark up the rear rim-good stuff.

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
So if I want to switch to X-ring chain - which size do I need?
And in general - what are good options for aftermarket chain?
I know about DID but that's about it

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
So if I want to switch to X-ring chain - which size do I need?
And in general - what are good options for aftermarket chain?
I know about DID but that's about it

You will need a 530 chain I believe 118 links long if you are still running the stock sized sprockets. DID makes good chains that's all I usually run. On a few different bikes (Bandit or instance which is a torque monster) I was getting around 23k miles out of each one.

If you are going to do this yourself I recommended getting a rivet type master link and dropping a bit more dough and buying the chain riveting tool while you are at it. It turns a chain replacement job into a 10 minute affair if you don't replace the sprockets at the same time.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You will need a 530 chain I believe 118 links long if you are still running the stock sized sprockets. DID makes good chains that's all I usually run. On a few different bikes (Bandit or instance which is a torque monster) I was getting around 23k miles out of each one.

If you are going to do this yourself I recommended getting a rivet type master link and dropping a bit more dough and buying the chain riveting tool while you are at it. It turns a chain replacement job into a 10 minute affair if you don't replace the sprockets at the same time.

+1 on the above.

I just changed mine out with a DID X ring chain. It was cheaper to get a 120 link and take out a link for the 118 needed. I also got the DID chain breaker/rivet tool. You cannot overtighten the masterlink with this chain/tool combination. Most 530 chains are riveted and to find a master link is difficult.

If you key up on the official DID site, it'll show the spec's of an o-ring chain, x ring chain, 520 chain vs 530 in strenth/longevity, etc..

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
Great - thank you guys. My chain and sprockets are still good and I am just thinking about going -1 at the front. And if I will - I will change chain and rear sprocket as well.