Early oil change

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You're going to get responses on both sides.

I recommend doing whatever makes you feel good about it. Changing the oil can't really hurt your engine, but if it is necessary is only for you to decide.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
An oil change after 20 minutes is probably overkill, but changing the oil and filter around 200 miles might not be a bad idea.

I waited until about 540 miles which was close enough to 600 miles as suggested in the owners manual. There were some "sparklies" in the oil as I expected, but nothing too bad. I think you'll be fine as long as you don't exceed the 600 mile mark and change both the oil and filter.

Last edited:

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
I’m a strong believer in “prevention is better than cure” I changed oil within the first 100km; you’ll never know what oil the dealer used. On average, I change oil more than required.

FZ6-ZN

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
What are your thoughts on doing an early oil change. I've read many sites, such as Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power , that recommend doing an oil/filter change within the first 20-50 miles or so. Is this really worth doing or just a waste of money and oil?

Tim

That's a tad bit quick IMO. Now once you go 3 to 4 hundred miles then, yes, why not. You know that it's got some miles on it and the engine parts have scraped off (so to speak).

I know the manual states changing the filter every other oil change but to me that seems pretty stupid. Why go thur the trouble to drain old oil and put in new only to leave old oil in the old filter. Makes no sense. $7 for an oil filter is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

It's all up to you of course.

Got-boost?

Reaction score
Visit site
After all the reads of people changing oil and seeing metal flakes and such in the oil I broke down and changed the oil on my FZ1 over the weekend with 293 miles on it and low and behold no metal flakes or sparkles in it at all checked with a magnet and nothing stuck to it. So I guess the filter did its job. :D

I do have to add I almost needed a large breaker bar to get the pan nut loose what the hell did the factory use a impact wrench to put it on.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I change my oil much more frequently than the manual reccomends and spark plugs brake fluids etc.

It certainly cannot do any harm.

Steve

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Motoman and some interesting ideas and I feel the his break in is a very good idea.

The technique he describes is what most racers use, reason being a race bike can't be taken on the street and the racer doesn't have that kind of time.

IF you are using his method you should do the very early break in to get the junk out of the motor.

If not, your call.

Also how long do you plan to keep the bike? For 100,000+ miles, or two or three seasons? If for the later don't bother and follow the owner's manual. For that matter just follow the owner's manual and it will be fine. :thumbup:

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea I did one around 100km (60 miles), then 600 miles, then 1500, then at 3000 and switched to synthetic. I worked at an auto parts store so I got things cheap and didn't mind over doing things.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I did the Motoman break in on my 04 FJR. I changed the oil/filter and rear end fluid within 100 miles. Very small silver flakes came out with the first fluid change. I also changed it again at 600 miles, again with some very small flakes but less than the 1st time. After approx 4,000 miles I wnet to Mortul semi-synthetic. I change oil and filter(K&N) every 2k miles. Its cheap insurance for an expensive investment.. The FJR does does not burn oil and runs like a beast. My FZ6 I bought used, break in, I believe was by a 16 year old just learning to ride :(..... The FZ also runs good too....

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
I did a semi-motoman break-in (ran it harder than Yamaha wanted but not as hard as motoman would like) so I changed mine at around 50 miles and then at 200 miles before following the service manual's schedule. It was sparkletastic at 50 miles and less so at 200 but I figured either way it was cheap insurance/protection/peace of mind.