Dyno Run video! Gas Cap! Krid80! Lots of PICS!

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Today was a beautiful day! I was able to get my bike Dyno Tuned for $75! Check out the video links at the bottom. Your chance to hear the leos! Front and Rear!

I also got free food from the Yamaha Shop :rockon:

I hung out with Dirk(aka Krid80) and kept him from working :) Also he has the Red Shirt that matches his bike which I might add looks bad ass:thumbup:

I also received my gas cap, which I wear now on my face j/k

Bike on the Dyno Mobile Trailer
IMG_1138.jpg

Krid80 AKA Dirk with his RED Fz6 Forum Shirt with My Bike
IMG_1120.jpg

Another Shirt with his Bike
IMG_1121.jpg

Krid80 and Geoff
IMG_1124.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtWF0vmKfoA]YouTube - FZ6 2004 Dyno Run[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo1XXTLwMrU]YouTube - Rear view FZ6 2004 Dyno[/ame]

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
By the Dyno Trailer
IMG_1128.jpg

Both Our Bikes again!
IMG_1125.jpg

Bike finished on Dyno!
IMG_1138.jpg

Results!
Capture-1.jpg

Gas Cap on my face! (same as CChouseky's gas cap)
IMG_1143.jpg

Keep in Mind, I never stock ran my bike so I am not sure what the jump was from stock to exhaust and air filter was.

Last edited:

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
good times today, Gee-off. (gotta call you that now LOL)

I love my faster red FZ6-forum tee (thanks yamahamaxdrpms for making me one in red in exchange for the design).... and obviously, I'm a sexy beast.

good pics, Geoff....er.... Gee-off. Glad you could keep me from work for a while.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing...a stock fz6 gets about 89.5 hp at the rear wheel on a dyno...

:thumbup:

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Krid was explaining to me that it all depends on the day, temp, humidity.. So apparently it can vary a lot, on the next big ride we have they usually run them on the dyno pretty cheap just to run it, no tune.

Wyotech kid

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing...a stock fz6 gets about 89.5 hp at the rear wheel on a dyno...

:thumbup:

OK ITS OFFICIAL THERE MUST BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY BIKE!!!!!
Yet again dyno numbers that are way higher than mine. Mine modified with filter and cans could only pull 78hp. :rant:

If the stock numbers are 89 how did i manage to lose 11 ponies with mods? This is really startin to nag at me because of this. It gotta be this crappy gas FL has. :disapprove:

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Yet again dyno numbers that are way higher than mine. Mine modified with filter and cans could only pull 78hp. :rant:

You definitely have an FZ6, and not an FZ6R, right? IIRC, the FZ6R makes right around 78hp stock. I could be wrong here though, as I wasn't able to find hp numbers with a quick google search of FZ6R specs. Wikipedia does say that the 2007-2009 Standard version FZ6 makes 76hp max, while the S2 version makes 97hp.

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

If the stock numbers are 89 how did i manage to lose 11 ponies with mods? This is really startin to nag at me because of this. It gotta be this crappy gas FL has. :disapprove:

thats quite a drop, if its 78, sounds like a European model, but I doubt thats it, maybe the dyno people didnt do it right, I am not sure at all. Might want to post this in the Technical forum and see if you can come up with anything

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Don't sweat it, it's all but impossible to judge dyno results from one machine to another. One a side note, better dynos have a weather station connected to the dyno to compensate for weather conditions. It is a simple "altitude density" table, ask a pilot.

Also, what brand of dyno was your run done on? A Factory Pro will have readings about 15 to 17% less than a DynoJet. Good story behind that one.

Here's something thing to think about, just because you added a filter and exhaust doesn't mean your power output increased. All it means is you added a filter and cans. I'm not meaning to be rude at all, only don't assume changing/adding something increases the power.

I'd suggested you ensure the bike is fully tuned up, get a Power Commander and have a custom map made. With those changes you will see a power increase.

More food for thought, most racing teams use a paper air filter; auto and bike teams.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com

No fuel issues I know of would drop your HP by 10%, without you having other issues you could easily feel. If it's running well..... it ain't the gas.

Someone could have swapped out the ECU, and installed the Euro version. eBay isn't going to care about that..... sounds like the power levels from the Euro version.

Someone from Germany posted up the procedure to change the setting to full power out put. Might be worth checking into that.

Wyotech kid

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes it is a FZ6 no R version for me, no fairings.

I bought the bike brand new with 2 miles on it back home in GA. If its a European or american ECU I wouldnt know. If its the base model and not an S2 then I did have an increase but even so, I still hang my head in shame compared to others results. Where could I find how to change those settings for full ppower?

The dyno was a DynoJet and I dyno'd it myself with the help of my instructor. He's dyno'd thousands of bikes and says mine about right. DJ comes with a weather station cuz it prints out all that info with dyno runs. As for it compensating for the weather I cant remember. As soon as I can get a Power Commander its on from there. My goal for my bike is 90hp, seems attainable since others have done it, but more work may be required than just filter, exhaust, and tuning.

Even with the mods I added I didnt expect to see any gains. Just like new "fancy" plugs, you might not see hp gains but the combustion is more complete and has potential. But it just kinda saddens me:( to see my bike not up to par with others.

Wyotech kid

Reaction score
Visit site
Got 10,500 on it at the moment. Dyno'd it at about 8 or 9 grand cant remember, but it was done about January of this year.

But after a little research I have that found that I do have the standard model FZ6. The S2 model base line 97 hp, standard 76. Im not big on Wikipedia results but its close enough for me. It makes sense though that over seas bikes have more power cuz the EPA in U.S. got manufacturers by the balls. :eek:

So perhaps a PC3 and tuning can put me in the mid 80's hp club. If im feeling lucky maybe the 90 hp club. :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got 10,500 on it at the moment. Dyno'd it at about 8 or 9 grand cant remember, but it was done about January of this year.

But after a little research I have that found that I do have the standard model FZ6. The S2 model base line 97 hp, standard 76. Im not big on Wikipedia results but its close enough for me. It makes sense though that over seas bikes have more power cuz the EPA in U.S. got manufacturers by the balls. :eek:

So perhaps a PC3 and tuning can put me in the mid 80's hp club. If im feeling lucky maybe the 90 hp club. :thumbup:

Luckily, we have only ever got the full power version in Oz. I wonder what the difference is? i mean, how does Yamaha restrict the HP? What route have they chosen in restricting the output?

And more importantly, is there a quick fix to get around it?

Hmmmmm....

Wyotech kid

Reaction score
Visit site
Luckily, we have only ever got the full power version in Oz. I wonder what the difference is? i mean, how does Yamaha restrict the HP? What route have they chosen in restricting the output?

And more importantly, is there a quick fix to get around it?

Hmmmmm....

Well according to my Euro instructor manufacturesr change the ECU, add cats, have different cams, pistons, injectors etc. Have to restrict bike due to noise and EPA standards. He says that even Honda for certain bikes are strictly California bikes cuz they are remapped and have different cams to meet the EPA standards there.

FYI he said that BMW makes a F650 for France thats actually an 800. Exact same engine, bore-stroke. But it has different cams, and injection timing to make less power. 650 is normally a single but over there is a 800 twin just (our favorite word) "detuned"

As for getting around the lack of power, perhaps ordering the parts of an over seas bike and sending them here replacing those parts will boost the numbers. But im sure that aint gonna happen. Other wise its mod out what I got and hope for the best.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com

the US bikes were all 98hp bikes. there was no different hp ratings for FZ6 vs FZ6-S2 (which, by the way, is not even a term used for US spec bikes).

Your bike OEM would have been 98hp at the crank (as all 2004-2009 bikes sold stateside have been). The only exception would be if your bike was not originally slated for the US market which could be easily determined by testing to see if you can get into "CO mode."

To access "CO mode" you need to have your key off, hold down "select" and "reset" on your gauge for about seven seconds and while still holding, turn on the key. Keep holding those buttons until you see the display switch to read "diag." If, once "diag" is displayed, you can press "select" and it switches to "co" then you have a euro spec bike. If nothing happens when you press "select" you have a North American bike.

Wyotech kid

Reaction score
Visit site
the US bikes were all 98hp bikes. there was no different hp ratings for FZ6 vs FZ6-S2 (which, by the way, is not even a term used for US spec bikes).

Your bike OEM would have been 98hp at the crank (as all 2004-2009 bikes sold stateside have been). The only exception would be if your bike was not originally slated for the US market which could be easily determined by testing to see if you can get into "CO mode."

To access "CO mode" you need to have your key off, hold down "select" and "reset" on your gauge for about seven seconds and while still holding, turn on the key. Keep holding those buttons until you see the display switch to read "diag." If, once "diag" is displayed, you can press "select" and it switches to "co" then you have a euro spec bike. If nothing happens when you press "select" you have a North American bike.

Ill try that and see what happens.

If it is 98hp at the crank then theres a 10-20 percent parasitic power loss through the transmisson and chain and wheel/tire combo so it still ends up being 78-88 hp a the rear wheel.

But if there is no difference in hp for US bikes and Euro bikes why do alot of places say so. Cuz I kno manufacturers have different bikes for different countries cuz of emissions and noise standards.

Wyotech kid

Reaction score
Visit site

Tried it and it came up di instead of diag, anywho its a north american spec bike. So much for getting to do that cool CO adjustment for more power :(

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
Tried it and it came up di instead of diag, anywho its a north american spec bike. So much for getting to do that cool CO adjustment for more power :(

check your dyno chart and see what the CF was...

If you dynoed on a hot/humid day and did not correct to "standard" temp/pressure/humidity, the numbers will be low. Uncorrected dyno will show a CF of 1.0.

Uncorrected numbers are exactly what your bike was making for power on a given day/conditions. The CF attempts to compensate for air pressure/altitude, temp, etc.

It is something like 1% power loss for every 10F gain in temp. Humidity and altitude have similar effects.

You can also find out the exact model dyno used, I read your post before that it was a dynojet eddy current model, so maybe that will read lower (like a factorypro) as compared to the cheaper/older inertia dynos.