Dual headlight mod is only for looks.

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there,

A while ago I did the Motogiro's dual headlight mod, which was extremely easy, almost plug-and-play kinda kit that I highly recommend, I'd do the mod again in a jiffy if I didn't have both eyes open yet...

This thread is about the result though---it looks great with both headlights turned on, but enabling the light on the right side provides no extra effective light output at night whatsoever. I guess that has to do with how the reflective stuff inside the headlight is designed, perhaps it's good only for when the high-beam is on, but the regular beam doesn't really point forward on my bike. If it's providing light to anything, it's the area right in front and to the right of the bike, I'm talking 3-4 feet close to the bike and that's it.

I tried covering both headlights one by one, which proved that 95% of the effective road lighting is provided by the left side.

Do you have similar observations, and what did you do to remedy the situation?

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
DUDE, really?

Are you riding down roads that are lighted already?

Where I live the roads are not lighted outside the main drag.....

Sure, I went with BD43's kit because it was the only safe one to go with at the time.

YES, the headlight was designed for highbeam, but it does spread much more light than just one having one bulb.

And besides, it stops other people from telling you that you have a headlight out :).......J/K Two is always better than one.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Adjust the right, high beam, bulb to where you want it (obviously extending down the road, up and center).

I found with my 110 watt PIAA bulbs ( H1 XTREME WHITE PLUS-under "power sport" bulbs ) with the BD43 mod, the light is equal on both sides on low beam and the high beam, at least with these bulbs, is excellent....

They are easily as bright as my FJR with stock bulbs but the FJR HAS two low beams and two HB's stock...

You can get one H1 and one H4 individually, excellent option if you want to go with plug and play...

FYI from their site, (http://www.shopatron.com/home/index/353.0.1.1) :

"Those with H1 style headlights can now benefit from PIAA’s Xtreme White technology. Rated at 4000K and providing 110watts of light from only 55watts these bulbs provide a brilliant Xtreme cool white light.

Twin Pack 11655
Single Pack 11155
Bulb Type H1
Wattage 55w = 110w Xtra, 4000K
Technology Xtreme White Plus
"

Last edited:

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
DUDE, really?

Are you riding down roads that are lighted already?

Where I live the roads are not lighted outside the main drag.....

Sure, I went with BD43's kit because it was the only safe one to go with at the time.

YES, the headlight was designed for highbeam, but it does spread much more light than just one having one bulb.

And besides, it stops other people from telling you that you have a headlight out :).......J/K Two is always better than one.

I'm a 100% with you on the fact it looks great, people don't think your light is out and you're more noticeable by other people. However, on my bike it does not provide almost any light in front of the bike where it should be lighting the road.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on adjusting it. The high beam must be pretty low

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not seeing your reported result from the right side light. As others have said, it is probably way out of adjustment

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's been too long since I've had that setup, so I can't remember what mine was like, but at very least it has to make you more visible to other road users. A very important benefit.

ChadK_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
simple test would be to unplug the left bulb and turn on the bike and see where the right light is pointed... my guess is like others is just way out of alignment so you do not notice it.

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, back from my late night ride.

Removed the fairings, armed myself with 10mm socket and headed out. Found a pitch-black place with a wall, did adjustments and testing. After unplugging/plugging/unplugging...left/right/left/right.... I had to raise the right headlight a tiny notch. No horizontal alignment, the high-beam is just straight ahead.

Conclusion: while it does illuminate the road, it's not even remotely as good as the left one, which leaves a clear horizontal light line on the wall all the way across. The right one has some kind of interruption in the middle and in few places, and also on the ground on the sides it's not defined so well as the left. So, while it does provide some light, they are not the same, left beam is much superior in its coverage than the right beam.

GGSteelman

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, back from my late night ride.

Removed the fairings, armed myself with 10mm socket and headed out. Found a pitch-black place with a wall, did adjustments and testing. After unplugging/plugging/unplugging...left/right/left/right.... I had to raise the right headlight a tiny notch. No horizontal alignment, the high-beam is just straight ahead.

Conclusion: while it does illuminate the road, it's not even remotely as good as the left one, which leaves a clear horizontal light line on the wall all the way across. The right one has some kind of interruption in the middle and in few places, and also on the ground on the sides it's not defined so well as the left. So, while it does provide some light, they are not the same, left beam is much superior in its coverage than the right beam.

I'm with the rest of these guys, having both bulbs makes a huge difference for me, especially riding some of the country roads around me. It should make a noticeable difference. Did for me at least!

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting conversation. For me it seemed the lighting was better with the dual mod. I leave early in the morning and my local streets do not have many street lights. The street appeared to be brighter.

Over the winter I'll be converting over to HID, H4/H7 combo. It will be interesting to see if there is any noticeable difference. I'll try and remember to take some before and after pictures and report back to the forum.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
You say that 95% of the light comes from the left. Fine. I don't have any way to measure that, so I can't argue that "statistic." However, by turning on the right low beam, you get an extra 5%. Since you stated that the headlight mod is ONLY for looks, you are wrong. You fully admit that adding the right low beam adds to more light down the road.

On a side note, were you sitting on the bike while you were adjusting the lights? Your weight on the bike will greatly effect where it's pointing.

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
You say that 95% of the light comes from the left. Fine. I don't have any way to measure that, so I can't argue that "statistic." However, by turning on the right low beam, you get an extra 5%. Since you stated that the headlight mod is ONLY for looks, you are wrong. You fully admit that adding the right low beam adds to more light down the road.

On a side note, were you sitting on the bike while you were adjusting the lights? Your weight on the bike will greatly effect where it's pointing.

Yes, I was sitting on the bike. But even if I wasn't, it should have affected both lights the same. Like I said, it's pointed correctly now. However, the pattern of light that both sides throw down the road is significantly different. The best way to describe it is to say that the left one shines unobstructed, while the right has stuff in the way, which results in "shadows" down the road. I think the thing that's throwing these shadows is actually the high-beam filament.

As for the statistics, enabling the right side brings the following benefits for me, which are totally worth it:

1) 5% more light on the road (I was expecting 100%, hence this thread)

2) I'm definitely more noticeable as people see two lights in the front of the bike vs one.

3) The bike doesn't look like it had one of the lights burned out.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking there is an active 55 watt low beam on the left side of the bike. There is an unused 55 watt low beam on the right that is not active from the factory. I'll bet both of these 55 watt lamps have somewhat equal lumen output. Even though the reflector may be designed towards the high beam filament, I can't imagine the added 55 watt lamp where there was no light, not adding lumens. Of course we are also considering the ability to have this additional light at night with oncoming traffic, where the high beam would be turned off and you would have no light at all on that side of an OEM set-up. I would agree with most that re-aiming should improve the efficiency.
Obviously where you direct light is going to have an effect. :D

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking there is an active 55 watt low beam on the left side of the bike. There is an unused 55 watt low beam on the right that is not active from the factory. I'll bet both of these 55 watt lamps have somewhat equal lumen output. Even though the reflector may be designed towards the high beam filament, I can't imagine the added 55 watt lamp where there was no light, not adding lumens. Of course we are also considering the ability to have this additional light at night with oncoming traffic, where the high beam would be turned off and you would have no light at all on that side of an OEM set-up. I would agree with most that re-aiming should improve the efficiency.
Obviously where you direct light is going to have an effect. :D

Ok, let me start over.

Both left and right 55 W filaments provide the same light output. However, the light output of the right side is obstructed by the high-beam filament design, as well as possibly the reflector design in the right is different than the left.

That said, the right side is pointed correctly (when I turn on the high beam, it's hitting straight ahead and slightly above the place where the left hits.

Also yes, the mod i've installed turns off the 55w filament when the high beam is activated. There's only one filament shining at the same time, either the low or the high beam.

GGSteelman

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting conversation. For me it seemed the lighting was better with the dual mod. I leave early in the morning and my local streets do not have many street lights. The street appeared to be brighter.

Over the winter I'll be converting over to HID, H4/H7 combo. It will be interesting to see if there is any noticeable difference. I'll try and remember to take some before and after pictures and report back to the forum.

If you're looking to go to HID just for the brightness (I've thought about it cause the lights look sweet) Sylvania has come out with a series of bulbs labeled "ZXE". They're the brightness of HID, but have modified connectors to work with standard 9003/H4. You can buy a 2 pack at Advance Auto for $59.99, or get them on the internet for $40ish/pair + shipping.

These are AWESOME in my FZ with the dual headlight mod. Just a thought, and a cheap solution for more visibility. If you want the looks of HID though, obviously go for it.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Hid is the way to go for more light output, or just run with your brights on all the time. I do, i dont want to get another discussion going about running with brights on all the time but i will say that it is definitely a solution to your issue of light output and i know people say its disrespectful but i have never once had any car or bike flash its lights at me and i have a hid projector for low beam and on high it stays on as well as a ridiculously bright hid nondirectional high beam. I will switch to low if im riding behind someone and can see in their mirrors that im blinding them as to not be a total di¢k

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My FJR has two dual filiment bulbs stock, so if anything, its most likely the right reflector that doesn't work as well as the left as it wasn't designed to be used as a low beam...

As previously stated by myself, I cannot say how MUCH MORE LIGHT the PIAA 110 watt and 100 watt bulbs put out(double the wattage), especially for a plug and play farkle. They easily put out as much light as my FJR (stock bulbs) which has a much larger charging system and is designed with two low beams and two high beams.

As a side note, I don't adjust (on the FZ) the headlights using the garage door to shine on but take the bike on a straight, dark road preferably with a stop sign way down the road(to check high beam operation/adjustment).

A set up designed for dual headlights, yes, I'll set up mostly with the garage door...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just for the heck of it I just took some pictures from the seat in front of the house.

The left picture is the bike on low beam (BD43 installed). The pattern on the street looks pretty even to me, maybe slightly brighter on the left side.

The right picture is with the high beam on (sorry a little blurry if you flip back and forth between the pictures...).

Last edited: