drilling stock baffles

moorala

Reaction score
Visit site
hi guys & girls, im pretty new to the forum but i noticed a thread about drilling out the baffles in a stock exhaust.as i cant afford a new set of pipes yet, is it worth doing.is the sound any better,does it affect the engine and does it cause any problems with the mot.my bike is a 2008 fz6 s2 naked.any advice would be very welcome.

Jonno271

Reaction score
Visit site
Did it to mine a few weeks before it was written off. The exhaust tone was louder but reminded me slightly of a blowing exhaust. At first I thought it sounded naff but it was quite nice at high revs. Do a search on youtube for "FZ6 drilled exhaust", you'll get lots of results so you can have a listen for yourself. Didn't make any difference to anything else.

moorala

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for your replies everyone.dont have to think of drilling baffles now, got a set of akrapovic cans from local dealer who traded in a 2007 fz6 with about £1000 of extras on it.might ask if he is willing to sell any more parts before he sells the complete bike.dont think he would get any more for the bike with all the extras included so he might be tempted to make a few extra pounds.all the extras are genuine yamaha parts.cheers.

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't do it your bike will fail its MOT. Wait till you see one on e-bay at a good price. :thumbup:

My bike passed it's first MOT in April this year no problem with stock drilled exhaust (two 22mm holes through the rear baffle wall, NOT a complete "bafflectomy" which might fail an MOT) . . . .

took this video in January, it was only about 4 deg C ! before I went out for a ride , hopefully you'll get an idea of the sound
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=midnudaQRog]YouTube - FZ6 Fazer drilled stock oem exhaust muffler can.AVI[/ame]

baldy73

Reaction score
Visit site
I punched holes in mine with a large flat tipped screw driver with a square shaft. Once the hole was in the baffle, I placed a spanner on the shaft and rotated it which enlarged the hole. I then got a pice of pipe which fit end the end of the exhaust and hammered it a couple of time to enlarge the hole.

I believe it allows it to breath better, which means better performance and has a slightly throatier sound. Overall I think it is a good cheap mod.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
I did this also. It turned my sewing machine into a sewing machine with a cold...lol :) I like it though, doesn't wake the neighbors.

robaho

Reaction score
Visit site
I did this too. I used a small drill bit to make the first hole, then used a much larger bit to make it approximately 7/8" .... I would love to have a custom exhaust, but can't afford to spend the $$$ right now. The drilled exhaust sounds better than stock, so it will have to do for now!

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
has anyone notice an improvement in the midrange of the bike? I'm happy with the stock tone but hate the transistion / power band @ 5000K to 7000k on the stock bike. Would love to get the nice smooth power transition on the stocker that I get with the modified bike. (Powercomander/scorps)