Doing The Ton

S

sportrider

for those of you you don't have a subscription to motorcyclist magazine, there is a story about cafe racers. the story reads if they could ride from the cafe to a perticular turnabout and return before the song House of the raising sun could finish on the juke box, they averaged 100MPH hense "doing the ton".
The last few days(as well as many others) I've been pushing the pace pretty hard going to work; (doing research for the website) I made it to work from my house in under 14 minutes. now, I live 29.6 miles from my work. the way I see it is I had to average 126.85MPH for this to be possible. I'd have to say I've "done the ton" a heavy ton at that!!!:thumbup:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
IIRC, the cafe was the Ace Cafe, on the North Circular Road in London.
Doing the ton on the North Circ involved running quite a few red lights, so many a ton-up boy didn't see his 18th birthday...
There was a pop song in the 60's which came out just after the first true motorway (freeway) was opened going north from London called the M1....
"Now the M1 ain't much fun till you try to do a ton...
A ton-up on me bike is what I like..."
While all those Bonnevilles, Rocket Gold Stars, Norton Dominators, etc were fast, it's pretty sobering to me that my FZ6 could whip 'em all...