Do you keep a mental note of what gear you're in??

Do you remember which gear you're in at all times?

• Total voters

fastar1

Reaction score
Visit site
You simply do not understand what you are talking about.
Oh the irony.

These are the things you need to get in your head.

* Every engine is different and has a best RPM to run at. Above or below to optimum RPM is a decrease in fuel efficiency/power efficiency. The optimum RPM of an engine can be low, mid-range or high depending on how it is built.

* Fuel efficiency is directly proportional to power efficiency. This should be obvious even to those with no knowledge of physics or chemistry. What is powering your engine? Gas of course. Power is the rate of which energy is released, gas is stored chemical energy.
They quite simply are NOT proportional in any way. I have explained this and I have illustrated this and it is obvious that I cannot get you to understand it, but at least now we know the source of our disagreement. I'm happy to let forum readers decide for themselves whatever makes most sense from the information we provided.
What would this look like riding?

You would accelerate at fast as possible to your engines optimum RPM, not exceeding your limiting velocity(probable 60 mph).

Then you would pull in the clutch, close the throttle, and coast.

After bike drops to your lower velocity limit, RPM match your speed, release the clutch and accelerate as fast as you can to your upper limit... repeat the process over and over.

That is how you would get the max Miles per gallon.
Priceless.

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh the irony.

They quite simply are NOT proportional in any way. I have explained this and I have illustrated this and it is obvious that I cannot get you to understand it, but at least now we know the source of our disagreement. I'm happy to let forum readers decide for themselves whatever makes most sense from the information we provided.

Priceless.

The only thing you have explained so far is you don't know algebra. I already showed mathematically that they are proportional, if you don't get it there is nothing more I can do.. other than recommend a math tutor.

You may laugh and think it is priceless, because you don't the principles of physics and don't even know algebra.

Meanwhile, there is a PHD Thesis backing up what I derived.
http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/av...tricted/ETD_PhD_Dissertation_Jeongwoo_Lee.pdf

Obviously, his paper is far more sophisticated and detailed but the conclusions and results are in the same direction.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok Neal, since you've put so much passion into this. I'm going to try your theories, I'll ride the bike more in the power curve (rarely letting the bike dip below 4K unless stopping, by staying in as low gear as necessary) instead of super conservative (fly up to 6th and downshift only if absolutely necessary) and see if my mileage improves as you'd be inclined to imply it would.

I'll post up my results!

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok Neal, since you've put so much passion into this. I'm going to try your theories, I'll ride the bike more in the power curve (rarely letting the bike dip below 4K unless stopping, by staying in as low gear as necessary) instead of super conservative (fly up to 6th and downshift only if absolutely necessary) and see if my mileage improves as you'd be inclined to imply it would.

I'll post up my results!

I said the opposite, try rereading the post.

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Opposite how?? I'm trying to avoid lower revs and get in some of the more potent areas of the power band for best efficiency right??

I said:

Part 3: Effectively using the potential power from your engine.

For simplicity in numbers, say you have a motorcycle that has has an optimum RPM is 10k, has a HP of 100 at that RPM and travels 60 mph at that RPM.

1) You maintain a constant RPM of 10k.

You equation looks like this: ( Friction + Wind Resistance)* velocity =power

That number is going to be fairly small probable less than 20 HP, but your engine is putting out 100 HP at the RPM. So what happens? 80 HP could have been used for travel is wasted.

You would need a very Low Horsepower engine to be able to run high RMP and not be wasting power at a constant velocity.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I said:

Part 3: Effectively using the potential power from your engine.

For simplicity in numbers, say you have a motorcycle that has has an optimum RPM is 10k, has a HP of 100 at that RPM and travels 60 mph at that RPM.

1) You maintain a constant RPM of 10k.

You equation looks like this: ( Friction + Wind Resistance)* velocity =power

That number is going to be fairly small probable less than 20 HP, but your engine is putting out 100 HP at the RPM. So what happens? 80 HP could have been used for travel is wasted.

You would need a very Low Horsepower engine to be able to run high RMP and not be wasting power at a constant velocity.
Thats very interesting thanks for the info and your Thesis clearly a subject you are qualified to talk about, but to get back on topic, "Do you keep a mental note of what gear your in"?

Nelly

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I went for always.

Well to be honest it's more like 95% of the time.

When I first started to ride I always tried to keep a mental note regarding in which gear I am in, so it's easier to adjust when I need to take a corner etc. So I always remembered which speed and which gear where within given xyz limits for a given corner in a given situation.

At this point I stopped doing that and I just "feel" the engine. Hard to explain, but I sort of know how the engine feels like at a given rpm range and thus at a given gear. So that's how I adjust when I need to take a corner. I have become more flexible and confident in my riding as a result of it.

Occasionally I try to reach for the 7th gear haha.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I generally remember what gear I'm in, but I occasionally get it wrong (coming up to a roundabout and go for second, when the neutral light comes on..........) and I occasionally just give it an extra touch when going for sixth just to make sure I am where I think am.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I should but I don't. Heck, I've "shifted" into an imaginary seventh gear so many times that my trusty steed now does it all by itself if I let off the gas in sixth!!! (Sort of, kind of, well close, but not really)

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see a point in remembering what gear you're in.. You don't drive by the gear number. You drive by the RPM and where you need to be in the powerband for that moment.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I went for a 300 mile ride yesterday and tried to shift into 7th about 4 times.

I do that when I didn't ride the FZ6R in few days. There's about 2K RPM difference between the 09 and 6R at cruising speed... 7th & 8th gear would be nice! LOL

Never really care about it until I got use to it on the FZ09... gear indicator is actually cool. Not necessary of course but useful to find neutral. That thing got such a awesome flat torque curve that it doesn't matter in witch gear I'm in... it goes. :squid:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
A good way of not doing that is to remember what speed matches what rpm in 6th.

I only ever did that when i was on the highway, now that i know my bike better i know that at 85mph in 6th my tach shows 8000rpm. If i was in 5th doing 85mph i would be around 9000rpm. (i have a 15T sprocket in the front, these numbers will not match a stock bike)

10mph up or down is around 1000rpm.

I know it sound like a lot of maths, but after a while it becomes instantaneous, just looking at the speed and tach needle position i can tell if i am in 5th or 6th.

What catches me more often is the opposite, shifting down to 1st when i thought i was shifting down to 2nd!

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A good way of not doing that is to remember what speed matches what rpm in 6th.

I only ever did that when i was on the highway, now that i know my bike better i know that at 85mph in 6th my tach shows 8000rpm. If i was in 5th doing 85mph i would be around 9000rpm. (i have a 15T sprocket in the front, these numbers will not match a stock bike)

10mph up or down is around 1000rpm.

I know it sound like a lot of maths, but after a while it becomes instantaneous, just looking at the speed and tach needle position i can tell if i am in 5th or 6th.

What catches me more often is the opposite, shifting down to 1st when i thought i was shifting down to 2nd!
Yeah, this has been helping me more and more as I get used to my FZ. Definitely one of the better ways to know

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
No. I've shifted in "seventh" nearly 300 times now! My son and I were talking a few nights ago about shifting and as I told him: You start out in first, catch second, catch third, catch fourth, catch fifth, catch sixth, catch sixth again, repeat.... Even then I usually confirm with the tach to speedo comparison.
(He said that he does the same thing on his Ninja)

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I do that when I didn't ride the FZ6R in few days. There's about 2K RPM difference between the 09 and 6R at cruising speed... 7th & 8th gear would be nice! LOL

Never really care about it until I got use to it on the FZ09... gear indicator is actually cool. Not necessary of course but useful to find neutral. That thing got such a awesome flat torque curve that it doesn't matter in witch gear I'm in... it goes. :squid:

I am getting better at looking down at the gear indicator, I do for sure know that 1st at 30 and second at 70 are the best. Face full of sky and a wallet full of tickets. I owned the fz for 3 years before getting my wheelies. I can't stop. Sometimes when I want it to happen and it doesn't I will lift the front end up manually,

The hardest thing to get down is being light handed on the throttle side, I have a tendency to keep the wheel ****ed to the right. Chirped the front yesterday when I landed. But I indeed know to roll on for a greater experience :D

Last edited:

garmie

Reaction score
Visit site
I try to remember what gear I'm in, but I'm not completely sure why to be honest. I'm used to always knowing based on the location of my hand and the behavior of the car when I drive a manual car - I think that's where it comes from mostly for me.