Do I Need Longer Battery Terminal Bolts?

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
Have installed two eyelets on each--for heated gear and battery tender. Seemed hard to get the bolts to thread again and it didn't seem like they had much bite. Considering the Kisan "Chargeguard" volt/amp meter, which connects to the battery terminals.

Do I need longer bolts? Would any length with the same bolt head and thread pattern work or is there a length limit I'll hit?

Any help appreciated.

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a similar experience but found that the little blocks inside the terminals into which the bolt screws, had fallen down when I took out the bolt. I had to use a lever (small stick) to lift the "block" up so the bolt could screw in properly. Tricky and make sure that little bugger does not fall into the engine. I had a battery tender and a PCIII lead connected at the same time.

faseljd

Reaction score
Visit site
I just had the same problem this last weekend hooking up a battery tender lead and 12 volt outlet. I ended up cutting the eyelets so I could just slide them in under the loosened bolt terminals. Sorta into a horseshoe shape, using stock bolts.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All depending on how much height you've added, you might need a little longer bolt.
Someone on the forum came up with a great idea for those little square nuts that are hard to get attached to. He used foam expanding earplugs under those nuts! So you get the nut positioned upward and insert a squeezed foam earplug under the nut and as the earpug expands it hold the nut upward.
I love this forum! :rockon:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Having something magnetic will help postion the nut. You can also take the existing bolt and nut, and go to the hardware store where they sell Metric Screws, bolts, and washers and find a longer screw. Thats what I did.