Dilema on new FZ purchase...

Sosu2211

Super Furry Animal
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

New to the boards, but thought I'd post and ask some advice! Been riding since 1999 or so, and was a GSX-R 600 K1/2/3 rider for a number of years before I sold my bike and took some time out to enjoy 4 wheels. Always did miss my bikes though...

I now live in the center of a big city, and have decided to buy a bike for commuting, and also for 250km or so trips I have to do once every 2-3 weeks, and a longer 750km trip once every 6-8 weeks or so. I figure I save on petrol, time, insurance, and also get to have fun on a bike again!

Anyway, the dilema... I counted out another GSX-R or Supersports bike, as for what I need, they are just too uncomfortable and impractical. I hate half faring bikes, so want a good naked bike.

After seeing a few, and discounting a Triumph Street Triple, and a Ducati Monster 696, my heart is pretty much set on an FZ6 s2... so here's the problem.

I went to my dealer last week, and they have the bikes listed NEW at 6590 Euro, with a reduction to 6190 Euro. They mentioned that if I wanted the black model they have in stock, they could make a further reduction to around the 6k Euro mark...

However, I am guessing a 2009 model is approaching...rapidly.

I am wondering if the FZ6 s2 is due for any major upgrade/redesign? or if things as pretty current in terms of the product cycle?

I guess, I am after views as to is people think it is a good idea to buy a 2008 now, with a 700 or so Euro reduction, or hang on and pay full price for the 2009 bike?

Any advice/thoughts appreciated!

Sosu

P.S. Color wise, I am leaning to white, but wondering what current owners have gone for (black/silver/white available in France).

Tebster _ fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
If it were me I would go for one now, which I have aready done ;) the trouble is your always going to be in that position with new models always coming out,if you like the FZ6 now then go for it :thumbup:

jsp

Easyrider
Reaction score
Visit site
I would not be surprised if the 2008 and 2009 models would be the same, except for the graphics and colours available.

In that case I would take the lower price of course!

The 3 bikes in your list are very different in construction, engine, etc. but the general purposes are similar. All are good, it's a hard choice!

IMHO - Buy the best vallue for Money - FZ6 at the lowest price.

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
i think 07-08 and 09 Fz's will be exactly same specifics except the colors maybe.they just improved the bike on 07..you can always wait for the next model but if you want a bike now there is no point waiting for an 09... if it was maybe november or december than i would still say try to get an 08 as the deals would be sweet compared to a newly released 09...practically same bike,both brand new,much better deal...

Fz will definitely be comfortable than the gsxr,,,,250 km ride would be no problem,,im not sure about 750km ride,,,after 3 hours i get pretty sore...if you are just comparing to the gsxr ,than of course you will be just fine!!

Sosu2211

Super Furry Animal
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks so much for the replies everyone, very much appreciated!

Well, in my mind, the decision is now made. I'll be ordering a FZ6 s2 in white next week! :)

As for the 750km ride, I suspect it will be a bit of a challenge. After my GSX-R, I was nearly crippled after 2 hours in the saddle, so with a few stops along the way for coffee and stretching, I bet I'll ok. Just need to find some good and cheap saddlebags!

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would get one now if I were you. I am new to bikes and was looking into getting an 08 model. Every store I went to only had 08s. I had a dealer make a offer on a 08 I wasn't really happy with. He called a near by dealer I didn't know about on his phone to pretend he was a possible customer. He was going to ask them for a out the door price to prove to me his price was the best I would get. The dealer told him he didn't have any 08 just one 07 they were dieing to sell and gave a good price right there. The guy hung the phone up and I told him thanks. I was going to go buy that 07. He was pissed but business is business. Any how I got the 07 brand new for a much lower price than the 08. I knew soon as I bought the 08 the 09 was just around the corner. I went ahead a got the same bike as the 08s just not the same color. Im happy. I payed 6300 for the bike 700 for the bs fees and he gave me a RF-1000 shoei, riding pants, riding gloves and coat no charge.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am curious what you thought about the other inline-4 naked's (i.e. Hornet, Z750)?
You guys have so many choices in Europe! As for the FZ6, I don't think anyone knows the exact changes yet for 2009, but from what I understand it should be the same bike.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks so much for the replies everyone, very much appreciated!

Well, in my mind, the decision is now made. I'll be ordering a FZ6 s2 in white next week! :)

As for the 750km ride, I suspect it will be a bit of a challenge. After my GSX-R, I was nearly crippled after 2 hours in the saddle, so with a few stops along the way for coffee and stretching, I bet I'll ok. Just need to find some good and cheap saddlebags!

Would be interested in seeing some pics if you ever get the time or feel like it. Congrats and hope you enjoy it!:thumbup:

Sosu2211

Super Furry Animal
Reaction score
Visit site
I am curious what you thought about the other inline-4 naked's (i.e. Hornet, Z750)?
You guys have so many choices in Europe! As for the FZ6, I don't think anyone knows the exact changes yet for 2009, but from what I understand it should be the same bike.

Well, I tried out a few so far.

I loved the looks of the Ducati 696, it handled well and had much better ground clearance than the previous model. Engine was strong and it was agile... but it felt somewhat 'fragile'. I guess my feelings are compounded by the fact that friends who have had Ducati's have had huge bills to pay, and constant reliability issues. (Oh and that a friend had a Monster 620 on which the throttle stuck open when he was trying to put it in his yard, up a small ramp. He did an Evel Knievel and ended up going through his patio doors into his lounge...)

The Hornet was ok, but felt a generation behind the FZ6. It was very much like the FZ was from a more modern design cycle. The gearbox on the Honda was great, better than the FZ in 1st and 2nd, and the engine pulled well, but it just felt 'uncivilized'.

The Suzuki 650sv was discounted as I didn't want a twin.

My other bike I *loved* was the Triumph Street Triple. *Gorgeous* to look at, *awesome* sound, great handling... I would have bought on in a heartbeat if it had come down to the 'spirit' of the bike. However, it is 4000Euro more in price! I could have had an R6 or CBR600RR for the same money. I was not up for paying for the exclusivity. Also there are not many Triumph dealers here in France, so I passed.

As for the Kawasaki... well, this was a tough one. My neighbor has one, and I see it every day. I have ridden it, and liked it a lot. It pulls from low down, and has lots of headroom in the engine! But well, for me, I'll be honest and say, I have a bizarre dislike for the make! I rode a ZX-6R which I hated a while back, and it has kind of tainted me. I can't really comment on the Z750 other than to say, it felt 'heavier' and more 'unwieldy' somehow than the FZ6. But I discounted it due my irrational nature!

I have to say, one huge thing for me, was the price. The FZ6 s2 is the cheapest of all the offerings here in France by a long way... I worked it out that I can buy the bike, a new Furygan jacket, Doohan replica Arai lid for 1000Euro less than even the Hornet...

Sosu2211

Super Furry Animal
Reaction score
Visit site
Would be interested in seeing some pics if you ever get the time or feel like it. Congrats and hope you enjoy it!:thumbup:

I'll of course post some pics! The dealer here is closed on Mondays, for no other reason than it is in France, so I'll be heading in later in the week. The guy said that if I wanted one in Black, I could have the one they have in store almost immediately, but there would be a 10 day wait for one in White, so it looks like I have about 2 weeks to endure.

But yep, as soon as I get it, I'll put up some pics and some observations for sure :)

Reaction score
Visit site
Go with the bike you can get now, if you wait to buy, there will ALWAYS be a reason to not do it. Get the bike and ride! Color is purely optional, we joke about it on this site, but reasonably, it's all the same. You won't regret buying a Yamaha no matter the color. And by the way, RED is fastest! GRUMPY

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I doubt if the there will be a huge difference in the 08 and 09 so I would go for the black one he is offering providing it has the higher horsepower.

I do not know what it is like in other places but buying a NEW bike is not an option in denmark because the following year the price on last years bike with no mileage drops dramatically.

Steve

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I assume you've seen this?
Road Test: 2007 Z750 v FZ6 v GSR v Hornet - Visordown Road Tests
This is why asked. My biggest beef with the FZ6 is the relative lack of torque in the low range and gear change from 1-2. Coming from a GSX600 it won't be much of an issue unless you had an '08 GSX. White is a great color! 4k euro difference!!!! Ouch!! That is about $6k.
Congrats!