Different dB ratings of exhausts?

MrTurner

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone have, or know where to get, the official dB rating of diiferent exhausts?

In particular, I'm looking for the following:

Stock bike
LeoVince Evo II carbon
Scorpion stainless
Remus
Mivv x-cone

If anyone has any, it would be appreciated. The stock bike is too quiet, the LeoVince were too loud. If I can't get a happy medium, it might be time to sell :eek:

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I’ve been wondering about this myself. I have access to a sound meter but am not sure what the official industry norm is to testing MC exhaust. Unless every manufacture follows the same procedure, the numbers are meaningless. For example, testing at 3 meters from the rear of the bike gives a different sound level than measuring 7.5 meters from the side, you get the idea.

I came across this link on sound testing but am not sure if it’s the standard. :confused:

BCORMA

If anyone knows standard for the distance, rpm, and where to measure the sound from let me know and I will do the test on the stock and then on the Two-Bro’s when I get them with and without the DB killers. :thumbup:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I’ve been wondering about this myself. I have access to a sound meter but am not sure what the official industry norm is to testing MC exhaust. Unless every manufacture follows the same procedure, the numbers are meaningless. For example, testing at 3 meters from the rear of the bike gives a different sound level than measuring 7.5 meters from the side, you get the idea.

I came across this link on sound testing but am not sure if it’s the standard. :confused:

BCORMA

If anyone knows standard for the distance, rpm, and where to measure the sound from let me know and I will do the test on the stock and then on the Two-Bro’s when I get them with and without the DB killers. :thumbup:

I would like to attend a Track Day that's coming up, but the rules indicate that exhaust noise level must not be over 90db. I would guess that my Scorpions are over that, but it would be nice to know exactly how it would be measured as it may just pass depending upon the organizers' noise testing protocol.
I'll contact them and ask how they measure the exhaust noise and let you know.
(I really don't want to reinstall my OEM exhaust just for one day's riding, nor do I have a source for db reducers.)

MrTurner

Reaction score
Visit site
WHAT!? I run mine without the db killers and it's not too loud. Too loud is relative I know but comeon! With the db killers in, they are fine.

So you are gonna sell the exhaust you just bought?

Too loud for me - not just in volume, but tone is not right too. Totally different to any aftermarket cans I've fitted too.

Leo's are already sold, within 2 days of fitting them. Bike is currently for sale, looking at a GSXR600, Z1000 or a Ducati 749.

MrTurner

Reaction score
Visit site
Too loud for me - not just in volume, but tone is not right too. Totally different to any aftermarket cans I've fitted too.

Leo's are already sold, within 2 days of fitting them. Bike is currently for sale, looking at a GSXR600, Z1000 or a Ducati 749.

Bike is provisionally sold :eek: