Did the Air box mod, got pics!

Jumpingjerry

Reaction score
Visit site
Well after some reading about the air box mod I decided that I was going to do it and see for myself if it was worth it or not.

After cutting the opening and re-installing it I am VERY HAPPY! It sounds better and the seat of the pants dyno says it has a little more power. Seems smother though out the RMP range too. Also when I hit second the front wheel came off the ground. :eek: Now it could of just came off the ground because I was giving it all she had to test it out, but no the less the mod sure as heck didn't take any power away. Even if in reality the HP has no change the sound change that it made it worth it. It had a nice deeper sound! The mod bug has bitten me! Time for an exhaust mod next! :rockon:

For a no cost mod I say it is well worth it.

I forgot to take a picture before I cut the part out so the placed the part I cut out back in for the picture.

5d0b9018.jpg

Here it is after the cut.

d1ad51e7.jpg

Here it is installed.

e87f1607.jpg

GkS

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the pics!

I would like to ask, somebody that has done this mod for a long time:
1) Doesn't the filter need more frequent change/cleaning now?
2) I understand it sounds better now, but is it also louder?
3) What about consumption, does it affect it? How much?

I think these are logical questions to make, seeking for some true answers here.
Thanks again!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the pics!

I would like to ask, somebody that has done this mod for a long time:
1) Doesn't the filter need more frequent change/cleaning now?
2) I understand it sounds better now, but is it also louder?
3) What about consumption, does it affect it? How much?

I think these are logical questions to make, seeking for some true answers here.
Thanks again!

I've had mine done for about 12,000 miles now and no the filet doesn't get dirtier unless you ride in dirty air, because the engine is still suckin in pretty much the same amount of air, it's just easier for it to do so. Yes it is a little louder not much difference but under wot it is louder and deeper, has a much more throaty sound. And as far as consumption goes, in theory it should get better gas mileage because it is improving the effishency-sp? Of the motor by allowing it to work less for he same amount of air flow, but with me i like getting on it to hear the 600 puurrrr so mpg is my least concern

GkS

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had mine done for about 12,000 miles now and no the filet doesn't get dirtier unless you ride in dirty air, because the engine is still suckin in pretty much the same amount of air, it's just easier for it to do so. Yes it is a little louder not much difference but under wot it is louder and deeper, has a much more throaty sound. And as far as consumption goes, in theory it should get better gas mileage because it is improving the effishency-sp? Of the motor by allowing it to work less for he same amount of air flow, but with me i like getting on it to hear the 600 puurrrr so mpg is my least concern

Thanks man, I would be willing to have better sound out of my bike, but because I do large trips, consumption is almost always of the essence for me.

I have changed air filter though, with a pipercross one....and since then I have noticed:
a) change in sound
b) slight change in performance, not that much actually
c) consumption is now much more than it used to be (I was getting an average of 5.2 lt/100km and now I get 5.8 lt/100km, always freeway) which is actually noticeable and yes, that's all the air filter's work.

because of (c) I am skeptical about this...

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If it does anything to your consumption it should get better because it is allowing the the engine to move air more freely, in turn not making it work as hard wich frees up horsepower without using more fuel, same idea as putting a aftermarket intake on a car, it gives you more hp and mpg by eliminating flow restrictions. But on smaller cc engines it's less noticeable because they flow less air to begin with

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I did the airbox mod on my 07 but not on the 09 yet. I'm thinking of doing it so I can reinstall the cut out so when I go on long trips the bike will be quiter. Should be easy to do.

I seem to remember that there was a slight difference in performance and the sound was a little different. After reading all the threads concerning this mod it doesn't seem like there would be any problem. I would think that checking your plugs would be a good indicator of what is happening inside the engine. On the 07 I never saw any signs of fouling. And I changed the plugs every 8,000 miles.

Sounds like the design of the airbox is for noise reduction to meet EPA regulations (also to house the air filter of course) and not much else. The snorkle disrupts the sound waves with the side effect of restricting airflow. And with as many that have done it there has really been no reports of any trouble. Sounds pretty safe to me.

An engine is essentially an air pump. If you can make it more effecient then why not.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought it made the bike run leaner and hotter because a lot more air is being introduced and no compensation to fuel delivery. Or that may have been the problem using this mod in conjunction with exhaust mods or something. Im probably wrong though.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought it made the bike run leaner and hotter because a lot more air is being introduced and no compensation to fuel delivery. Or that may have been the problem using this mod in conjunction with exhaust mods or something. Im probably wrong though.

The air box mod itself won't make it run lean because all it does it's simply allow the engine to suck in air more freely, kind of like trying to snorkel with a straw vs a actual snorkel. You can breath a lot easier with the snorkel because it has a larger diameter, more or less that's what's going on with the air box mod. It just makes things easier for your bikes engine

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site

Because it has fuel injection instead of carbs, the fz6 will automatically adjust the amount of fuel it squirts in with the air up to a point. The 07+ bikes do this even better due to having the o2 sensor in the exhaust.

I could go into more detail on this, but there is loads on the other airbox mod thread with loads of pages. See that.

bike10

Reaction score
Visit site
Fuel Injection on bikes have a fixed map It wont self adjust like cars do. That's why you need PC-III or custom re-map.Yes it will run leaner if you put exhaust and cat eliminator. I found this out when I had it dyno'd.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i noticed zero power increase, the bike ran much leaner (VERIFIED). I would be using a fuel tuner if I were you.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Fuel Injection on bikes have a fixed map It wont self adjust like cars do. That's why you need PC-III or custom re-map.Yes it will run leaner if you put exhaust and cat eliminator. I found this out when I had it dyno'd.

The 07+ as stated has a O2 sensor that will lean out the mix if a rich condition is detected. Of course this does not change the mapping. But insures that the factory mapping is followed under many different conditions.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
i noticed zero power increase, the bike ran much leaner (VERIFIED). I would be using a fuel tuner if I were you.
Did you take the battery out for an hour or so after doing the mod to reset the ECU if you were running lean. Or do you have an 04-06 bike?

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you take the battery out for an hour or so after doing the mod to reset the ECU if you were running lean. Or do you have an 04-06 bike?

No, I verified it with a wideband O2 sensor and datalogging software for a few hundred miles. taking your battery off for an hour will do nothing to fix the lean condition.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you do a before and after run? I ask because with the co adjustment maybe your bike was lean before hand from yamaha

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you do a before and after run? I ask because with the co adjustment maybe your bike was lean before hand from yamaha

I am not new to tuning, some bikes will be a little richer or a little leaner from the factory but it will still make the bike run leaner when you increase the air volume. Was it dangerous? No but it was not within the best range for power on a NA motor, it was indeed lean.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe you that it was lean and that you know what your doing but I was mainly wonder if you did a before and after so that I could have an idea of exactly how much leaner it made it, because it really shouldn't make to big of a difference

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
No, I verified it with a wideband O2 sensor and datalogging software for a few hundred miles. taking your battery off for an hour will do nothing to fix the lean condition.

I'm interested in the A/F ratio's that you got before and after the mod. I have an AEM wideband on my FZ1. The FZ1 seems to run best (most power) if I keep it in the 12:1 to no leaner then in the low 13's area. (and this is verified by butt dyno as well as a host of FZ1 owners and actual Dyno runs:D) I'm curious what you've found with the FZ6 engine, I assume it may have similar characteristics.