DID the -1 front sprocket mod - questions

stev0258

Reaction score
Visit site
All,

Well I just finished installing the 15T front sprocket - it took quite a bit longer than expected (2 hrs) but that included a trip to the Home Depot....

The most difficult part was definitely aligning the rear wheel, and then discovering that I needed to go buy an adjustable wrench in order to hold the opposite side while I tried to tighten it...I may have loosened it too much to begin with, not sure.

Aligning was difficult because the notches are so imprecise. I ended up simply measuring the distance from the edge of the opening in the side arm to the washer, and I'm probably within 1/4 of a mm I'd say...I wasn't sure how to get more accurate than that, do you think this is sufficient?

The other question I have is with torqueing the axel nuts. My torque wrench only goes up to 80 ft-lb and the manual says to go to 87 ft-lb. I went as high as 80 then gave it an extra tug with the breaker bar, probably another 1/8 turn. I did the same for the front and the back, even though the manual doesn't specify torque for the front axle...again does this sound sufficient?

I haven't been on it yet but I was concerned about the alignment so I put it in 1st on the center stand and watched the rear wheel - looks very aligned, again not sure how to test this any better.

Anyway, wanted to share my experience and get your thoughts on my alignment and torqueing craftsmanship.

Thanks all, I'd be happy to go into more detail with someone if they are interested in doing this mod.

Brandad

Reaction score
Visit site
Torqueing your axle to 80+lbs will be fine. The main idea is that it's on nice & tight. So you've got that covered.

Yeah, those index marks for the rear axle alignment are pretty poor. There's a method for aligning your rear wheel with string. Put bike on centerstand, keep front wheel straight, put a string on the front right side of the front tire, run it back to the rear right side of the rear tire, then do the same with the left on front & rear. Then just compare the difference between the left & right. Seems like there's a link around here somewhere. Once you get it dialed in, when you make chain tension adjustments in the future, just turn each tensioner equally and your alignment will stay good.