Detailing Your FZ6

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mothers mag polish seemed to work best for me re the header. I did not (nor would recommend) sand or use steel wool. I did use a Flitz polishing wheel some but a micro fibre cloth, as stated above, cut into strips and then pulled back and forth worked best. The initial cleaning is the worst, after that, maybe once a month for an hour.. Note, when I got the bike at 4,500 miles the header was very nasty.

Re other cleaning products, the S100 works excellent at the engine, metal nooks and crannies, just rinse very well with water...

For polishing the tank, fairing, etc, "Original" spray cleaner (used to be sold under Honda chemicals) works excellent, spray on, wipe off: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/900-044

"Plexus" also works extremly well on plastic surfaces, windshields, face shields, etc as well: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/900-683

My 07 header:

Fuel tank with the "Original" cleaner on it:

Last edited:

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
Mothers mag polish seemed to work best for me re the header. I did not (nor would recommend) sand or use steel wool. I did use a Flitz polishing wheel some but a micro fibre cloth, as stated above, cut into strips and then pulled back and forth worked best. The initial cleaning is the worst, after that, maybe once a month for an hour.. Note, when I got the bike at 4,500 miles the header was very nasty.

Re other cleaning products, the S100 works excellent at the engine, metal nooks and crannies, just rinse very well with water...

For polishing the tank, fairing, etc, "Original" spray cleaner (used to be sold under Honda chemicals) works excellent, spray on, wipe off: Spray Cleaner and Polish 14 Ounce Aerosol | 900-044 | J&P Cycles

"Plexus" also works extremly well on plastic surfaces, windshields, face shields, etc as well: Plexus Plastic Cleaner, Protectant and Polish | 900-683 | J&P Cycles

My 07 header:

Fuel tank with the "Original" cleaner on it:

Brilliant work there! Just Mothers Mag polish and a cut up microfibre...impressive!

btw, where did you get that fender extender? just glued on?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Detailing? Pffft. Just think of all the riding time you waste while the weather is nice cleaning every nook and cranny on your bike just so it can be dirty again in a week!

I keep my chain clean, the paint waxed and the bugs off the front end but other than that I don't waste time keeping my bike looking like it just rolled off the showroom.

You will enjoy your vehicle much more when you aren't constantly worrying about any little bit of dirt getting on it. Ride! :Sport:

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
Detailing? Pffft. Just think of all the riding time you waste while the weather is nice cleaning every nook and cranny on your bike just so it can be dirty again in a week!

I keep my chain clean, the paint waxed and the bugs off the front end but other than that I don't waste time keeping my bike looking like it just rolled off the showroom.

You will enjoy your vehicle much more when you aren't constantly worrying about any little bit of dirt getting on it. Ride! :Sport:

Definitely agree - Though I think I'm in the camp of detailing it once at the start of the year (maybe once in the summer) and covering off certain service items, then upkeeping weekly/fortnightly with a dry wash (Megs detailing spray or Ecotouch).

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely agree - Though I think I'm in the camp of detailing it once at the start of the year (maybe once in the summer) and covering off certain service items, then upkeeping weekly/fortnightly with a dry wash (Megs detailing spray or Ecotouch).

I'm with you there. I usually do one good spring detailing at the start of daily riding season but being that I ride almost every day from April-November even if I spent only 1 hour detailing the bike every week that is almost 35 hours a year spent detailing a bike just so it can look slightly newer as you ride. Heck, I could ride to California from Virginia in 35 hours!

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with you there. I usually do one good spring detailing at the start of daily riding season but being that I ride almost every day from April-November even if I spent only 1 hour detailing the bike every week that is almost 35 hours a year spent detailing a bike just so it can look slightly newer as you ride. Heck, I could ride to California from Virginia in 35 hours!

I think as you start out with good intentions, it's a great idea keeping it clean - dunno about you but after a couple of months of constant buckets, I got bored of all the nucks and crannies - grazed nuckles etc. So now it gets a wipe down like yours when ever i have a spare 10 minutes.

Did mine this weekend just gone - took it to work on the Monday in light misty weather, absolutely filthy again!! Not to mention the oil on the rear wheel from the freshly oiled chain.

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site

Or.... you may enjoy it more when you know there isn't any little bit of dirt on it;) haha

IMO, it looks much nicer clean, and perhaps for me, I find the cleaning therapeutic, I enjoy the time alone..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Brilliant work there! Just Mothers Mag polish and a cut up microfibre...impressive!

btw, where did you get that fender extender? just glued on?

Yepper, PVC glue... Here's a link with some tips when / how I installed it:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/47179-fenda-extenda.html

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Fizzer6,

Re riding vs cleaning or maintaining, I ride 365 a year. I enjoy riding as much as wrenching and having a good looking bike. As noted previously by another poster, it relaxes me as well, working/cleaning it...

I, personally, would be embarrassed to be riding (or driving)a filthy cage or a bike, but to each his own.

The op asked for suggestions, he got them.

Should you wish to NOT CLEAN your bike, thats your business. :thumbup:

With that said, I can't count how many times I've found a potential dangerous issues when cleaning and maintaining my bike, checking air pressure (finding a nail), etc...

You won't see a post started by ME re a broken clutch cable, noisy chain, front sprocket falling off, shifter issues, etc.

You will however, find me responding to those common problems that are very easily avoided...

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Or.... you may enjoy it more when you know there isn't any little bit of dirt on it;) haha

IMO, it looks much nicer clean, and perhaps for me, I find the cleaning therapeutic, I enjoy the time alone..

I understand that too.

Some people are a bit OCD and they can only enjoy things if they are in complete order/perfection. My brother is like that. He actually irons his dress shirt EVERY morning before work! Really? I sometimes don't even shower before work. :thumbup:

I like a clean bike, cage or house as much as anyone but I won't stress myself out over it not looking 100% at all times. Heck, if your bike looks new at all times then what is the reward when you detail it the next time? You don't get to see anything improve! :)

Last edited:

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
I understand that too.

Some people are a bit OCD and they can only enjoy things if they are in complete order/perfection. My brother is like that. He actually irons his dress shirt EVERY morning before work! Really? I sometimes don't even shower before work. :thumbup:

I like a clean bike, cage or house as much as anyone but I won't stress myself out over it not looking 100% at all times. Heck, if your bike looks new at all times then what is the reward when you detail it the next time? You don't get to see anything improve! :)

I agree. I'm not a person who irons or keeps his house in perfect order.. i dont think many nights go by where there isnt a dish in the sink!

As for certain things, anything with an engine really, I actually enjoy keeping them spotless... its as much about keeping the bike clean as it is relaxing for me..to each their own I guess!

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
Picked up some Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish as well as some 1000-1500 sandpaper just in case theres some problem areas. I'll start with the polish and see what happens, and if I NEED to, I'll use the sandpaper(wetsanding).

I also stopped at the dollar store yesterday and picked up some spray bottles for diluting some cleaners and using one for spraying water while wet sanding(also dipping the paper in water). I picked up a 4 pack of wooden paint brushes as well for agitating some of the tough to reach dirty areas with S100 Total Cycle Cleaner.

I took posession of the bike last Thursday so this weekend will be my first time cleaning it. I'll post before pictures, as it's some what dirty, nothing too serious, and after pictures as I plan on dumping an entire weekend into this! Pumped!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Picked up some Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish as well as some 1000-1500 sandpaper just in case theres some problem areas. I'll start with the polish and see what happens, and if I NEED to, I'll use the sandpaper(wetsanding).

I also stopped at the dollar store yesterday and picked up some spray bottles for diluting some cleaners and using one for spraying water while wet sanding(also dipping the paper in water). I picked up a 4 pack of wooden paint brushes as well for agitating some of the tough to reach dirty areas with S100 Total Cycle Cleaner.

I took posession of the bike last Thursday so this weekend will be my first time cleaning it. I'll post before pictures, as it's some what dirty, nothing too serious, and after pictures as I plan on dumping an entire weekend into this! Pumped!

Somewhat related to cleaning but also a maintainance item.

Pull the front, plastic sprocket cover off (three allan head bolts).

There's likely a ton of gooed up crap in there from "chain lube fling off". With the bike outside, or something underneath it (to catch the nastyness), use the S100 (with a paint brush or cleaning brush) on the block, cover and the sprocket and GENTLY rinse with water when done.

You don't have to remove the shifter shaft, just gently finagle the cover off under the shaft.

When re-installing, its really easy to pinch the two wire harness's at the rear of the rotor cover, so MAKE SURE, thats clear before tightening anything down or you'll pinch it. (you likely won't be able to get the cover on fully if the wores are in the way)..

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site

There's likely a ton of gooed up crap in there from "chain lube fling off". With the bike outside, or something underneath it (to catch the nastyness), use the S100 (with a paint brush or cleaning brush) on the block, cover and the sprocket and GENTLY rinse with water when done.

You don't have to remove the shifter shaft, just gently finagle the cover off under the shaft.

When re-installing, its really easy to pinch the two wire harness's at the rear of the rotor cover, so MAKE SURE, thats clear before tightening anything down or you'll pinch it. (you likely won't be able to get the cover on fully if the wores are in the way)..

This is a kind of ground hog day for me Scott :thumbup:

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site

Ya that's the reason I bought the brushes - to agitate a lot of the dirty that's hard to reach, also to clean up the calipers, rad, etc..

Thanks for the advice about the sprocket cover, makes perfect sense to remove it!

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I spent about 10 hours this weekend cleaning.. the bike was disgustingly dirty, road grime, grease build up, general dirt etc. I used s100 to clean everything followed by a soap wash. Then s100 engine brightener(AMAZING!) and then polished the pipes.

For the pipes, I wet sanded with 1000 and then 1500 and followed with mothers mag and aluminum polish. I used a mothers power ball for the accessible areas but most of it was sawing back and forth with a strip of a microfiber towel. The pics aren't the clearest unfortunately, but the finish is pretty flawless except for around the header bolts which was quite tough to get in.

As for the paint, I used mothers compound and then finishing polish, came out quite nice considering it was done by hand. I then gave it a coat of mothers carnauba wax for the rest of the winter. One day this spring I'll buy a buffer, strip the wax off and repolish it. As for the chain etc, I ended up leaving the recently applied grease on it for the winter. I figured it's ok if its all caked in grease for the winter, that way theres no chance of rust etc. Ill clean it thoroughly in the spring and regrease what is ACTUALLY supposed to have grease on it haha.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I spent about 10 hours this weekend cleaning.. the bike was disgustingly dirty, road grime, grease build up, general dirt etc. I used s100 to clean everything followed by a soap wash. Then s100 engine brightener(AMAZING!) and then polished the pipes.

For the pipes, I wet sanded with 1000 and then 1500 and followed with mothers mag and aluminum polish. I used a mothers power ball for the accessible areas but most of it was sawing back and forth with a strip of a microfiber towel. The pics aren't the clearest unfortunately, but the finish is pretty flawless except for around the header bolts which was quite tough to get in.

As for the paint, I used mothers compound and then finishing polish, came out quite nice considering it was done by hand. I then gave it a coat of mothers carnauba wax for the rest of the winter. One day this spring I'll buy a buffer, strip the wax off and repolish it. As for the chain etc, I ended up leaving the recently applied grease on it for the winter. I figured it's ok if its all caked in grease for the winter, that way theres no chance of rust etc. Ill clean it thoroughly in the spring and regrease what is ACTUALLY supposed to have grease on it haha.

SWEET!!!

You can detail my bike anytime!!! The header looks really, really good too BTW!

That red color might ALMOST be as fast as the blue!!:thumbup:

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
SWEET!!!

You can detail my bike anytime!!! The header looks really, really good too BTW!

That red color might ALMOST be as fast as the blue!!:thumbup:

Hahaha there's only one way to find out which colour is faster!

I would have liked to spend a little more time on it, but I drove home(600KM) on the Friday afternoon, had a family dinner, cleaned it at my dads shop on Saturday morning, went home to spend time with family, went back that night to clean and also do some stuff to the car, and then left sunday for the 600KM drive again... Once I have it here with me in Ottawa I'll be spending a lot more time doing the finishing touches, which includes taking my time polishing the headers closest to the block.

Edit: and I owe all the credit to S100. That total cycle cleaner was unreal, it took everything off.. I just followed it with a wash mitt and soap.. and then sprayed on the S100 engine brightener, let it sit for 10 minutes, then buffed it off with a MF towel. Brillliant stuff!

Last edited: