demo ride "hard shifting" question

flhtifz

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't believe no one has given you the magic answer yet.......pre-load the shifter. Know what I mean? Put a little pressure on the shifter before you pull the clutch in and commit to shift. You'll still let off the gas, pull in the clutch lever, then commit to the shift, but before you do any of that, PRE-LOAD the shifter with some pressure from your foot. Man, it solved my clunk 110%. Shifts smooth as butter then. Some one on the board here gave me that info months ago when I bought my used 2007 FZ6.

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
My wife is looking at theFZ6.We went to the Dallas Int'l motorcycle show and demo rode the FZ6R.
We both were concerned with how it "clunked into gear.My wife's 1983 gpz550 is much smoother when changing gears.
I have a 2000 ZRX1100 and the shifting isn't as smooth as the gpz550,but doesn't have that "clunk" that we experience withthe FZ6R.
I am hoping it is the fact that they were "Demo" bikes.
She will be buying a used FZ6.She loves the FZ6, but is concerned about this.
Any advice would be welcome....Al

I love the sound of the "clunking". It warns the other drivers at the red light you're about to ignite the rocket. :rockon:

I also love it when you put it in first gear, the bike jumps forward 5cm

All part of the bike riding thrill

djstrong

Reaction score
Visit site
I also have a clunky shifter, and just try different timing, etc of shifting to minimize it. Trying to be too smooth and slow it is worse. It definatly got better with the first oil change done at 300 miles.

Thanks for the advise on preloading the shifter, I'll have to try it. Do you preload for all gears, or only 1st to second?

I expected a balky shifter when I bought my bike. Thanks to this forum for filling me in on all the good and bad things about the FZ6, I knew what to expect. The clunkynss has never caused me a missed shift or anything bad, It would be nice to be smoother.

Regards,
Dan
2009 FZ6

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
"By the way my right hand gets numb after 15/20min riding!
Anyone else get the same? Why?"

Is this your first bike? The numb right hand is common with new riders or even a change of bike I suppose....gotta relax your grip on the handlebar. :thumbup: Or add a throttle rocker, this allows you to open up your grip more.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I got my new FZ6 2 weeks ago and was about to ask the same question!
From 1st to 2nd I can't seem to gear without "CLONK", the rest, I think at about 4000 rpm seems smooth enough..... sometimes.....

By the way my right hand gets numb after 15/20min riding!
Anyone else get the same? Why?

I get it on long rides, after about an hour and a half. In my case, it's not that I'm holding the grips too tight, it's that I'm pinching a blood vessel in my hand somehow. If I experiment carefully with how I place that hand, moving it left and right, etc, I can find "THE SPOT." If i hold the grip in The Spot, suddenly all the blood rushes back into my hand, it feels warm, and all the feeling comes right back, like a lightswitch almost.

Also those higher frequency vibes don't help, for what it's worth. Bombing down the interstate at 7,500 rpms feels mildly like holding onto a random orbit sander after a while, very different than the loping rumble of a twin at that speed, and one of the VERY few things I'd change about this bike if I could. Most people don't complain of it, so maybe it's just me.

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
I started my bike up for the first time in a year after a rebuild and kicked it into first. When it jumped forward my friend said "woah that's not good." I just mentioned that it good feeling that clunk again!

For the other poster, as far your hand going numb, you might also want to check your gloves. I had that problem and it turned out my gloves were a little too snug in certain spots and would cut off circulation when I was riding.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
I get it on long rides, after about an hour and a half. In my case, it's not that I'm holding the grips too tight, it's that I'm pinching a blood vessel in my hand somehow. If I experiment carefully with how I place that hand, moving it left and right, etc, I can find "THE SPOT." If i hold the grip in The Spot, suddenly all the blood rushes back into my hand, it feels warm, and all the feeling comes right back, like a lightswitch almost.

Also those higher frequency vibes don't help, for what it's worth. Bombing down the interstate at 7,500 rpms feels mildly like holding onto a random orbit sander after a while, very different than the loping rumble of a twin at that speed, and one of the VERY few things I'd change about this bike if I could. Most people don't complain of it, so maybe it's just me.

That is the "ulnar nerve" IIRC. Seems like a problem spot for motorcyclists, bicyclists, etc. Softer grips might help, or maybe a differently shaped handlebar. I have some cycling gloves with a unique pad in that region that helps to take pressure off, not sure if there is a motorcycle glove with a similar feature. I do find that I change my hand position often when riding to keep from getting pain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gray425.png

Last edited:
M

mnormand

I can't believe no one has given you the magic answer yet.......pre-load the shifter. Know what I mean? Put a little pressure on the shifter before you pull the clutch in and commit to shift. You'll still let off the gas, pull in the clutch lever, then commit to the shift, but before you do any of that, PRE-LOAD the shifter with some pressure from your foot. Man, it solved my clunk 110%. Shifts smooth as butter then. Some one on the board here gave me that info months ago when I bought my used 2007 FZ6.

Well that's interesting. Took my 2007 out for a spin yesterday after weeks of non-use. Then later I'm on this board (again) looking for clunk issues, at 1300mi I sure have 'em, even with good syn oil. But looks like I'm right at home with others, so no issues, just will have to rev higher too :rockon:.

I'll give this pre-shift deal a go next time out. Thx!

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
"By the way my right hand gets numb after 15/20min riding!
Anyone else get the same? Why?"

Is this your first bike? The numb right hand is common with new riders or even a change of bike I suppose....gotta relax your grip on the handlebar. :thumbup: Or add a throttle rocker, this allows you to open up your grip more.

For my long highway riding, I don't grip at all when the condition fits it.
I use my inside of palms to control handle bars and even sometimes with small changes of throttling.
When my hands feel some fatigue, I release gripping and push throttle with inside of palms. ( do not push hard, bike will turn.. ha ha ha)
It worked always for me....:rolleyes:

I took my glove photo, to show where my hand part is most used when riding... ha ha ha (just for fun)

P2221194.JPG

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have my idle at 1,000 RPM so shifting into first is not bad. I use Motul semi synthetic and have 6,500 miles on the clock, shifting from there is fine...

As for vibration, grip puppies over the grips, gel gloves (padded on the inner contact points), bar risers and a good throttle sync (re-checking at 4k RPM) make the bike considerably easier to ride..

Scott

M

mnormand

flhtifz, this was spot on, thanks! :rockon:
Took her out for a 100 mi run thru the country today, temp finally got 55deg, a bit breezy but not too bad. Tried your suggestion multiple times, definitely made a diff for me.

Hopefully ride again tomorrow, maybe 65deg ! :cheer: :D

AutoXer

Reaction score
Visit site
Its a training feature designed in to help teach you to shift smoothly ...

Of course, you can always slap a Ducati, Moto Guzzi, or Harley sticker on the bike and call it "character" ...

jZ

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
The clunk is normal, but for me it only happens goinf form neutral to first. After that it is very smooth shifting. Also I never have had the bike jump or lurch forward when dropping into first. That does not sound right.

ice

Reaction score
Visit site

I rode a newly purchased FZ home yesterday. I noticed it was kinda hard to downshift.
I`ll give the pre load trick a try next time I take it out.
I tried revving but, it didn`t seem to help much.