Decided on an Experiment

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
6z7d4h.jpg

Made it far enough to check clearances last night. More to come!

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Worked on mocking up the clip ons a bit more yesterday. I think I've made a list of issues that I will need to solve.
  1. Relocate Turn Signals
  2. Reduce Length of Brake and Clutch lines
  3. Master Cylinder/Reservoir Doesn't Clear Clip On Bracket
  4. Adjust Steering Stops

The turn signals simply don't work in their current position. They will have to get moved, maybe just moving them lower will work. The clutch and brake lines are a little more concerning, the clutch is OKAY and the brake lines are OKAY. However, with my naked headlight conversion there just really isn't room for the extra cable and hydraulic lines. I will have to either shorten them or deal with them hanging out somewhere. The master cylinder/reservoir combo is my biggest issue. The reservoir part doesn't clear the clamp for the clip ons. The clearances is only a couple of millimeters to small, I suppose with a different brand of clip ons this would have been a non-issue. Perhaps I can switch to an R6 master cylinder? Steering stops should be somewhat straight forward. I'm thinking I can drill a couple of holes in the lower triple clamp and just drop some bolts through them.

Thoughts?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just gave a Ninja 250 back to the owner after doing some work on it. It also had clip ons ( BUT atop the upper triple-forks slid up).

The turning radius was easily 1/2 of normal before controls, etc starting hitting the tank, fairing, etc...

*Point, you may try moving the throttle, brake/clutch, switches over to the clip ons before going further. You may very well have the same issue.

The Ninja could NOT turn around in a two lane street W/O doing a three point turn... :(

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A few years ago I met up with Jamie (Wolfman, He is still the top poster on this forum and has much FZ6 building experience). He had been down to Phillip Island for a weekends racing and we met up for coffee as he made his way back to where he was staying. When he arrived I waved him down but he missed the driveway and took the next one. The hassles he had trying to turn the bike was crazy as he had clip ons, just below the top triple clamp.
He said it was great when riding but slow maneuvers were the biggest PITA. I think the bars almost hit the tank or maybe they did, can't quite recall. But I do remember he was happy with it in the twisties just not in commuter type traffic.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
I should mention..... I'm buying a new bike in the Spring.

My FZ6 is going to be reserved mainly for bad weather or track days next season.

You both are correct though, the turning radius with the clip - ons is abysmal.

I've thought about trading the FZ6 for a supersport, but I just can't find anything that's as clean as my FZ6 that I could straight swap for. Not to mention all of the taxes involved.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, the Ninja went home. Run's like a top!

Sync was off pretty far too, oil and filter were nasty / dirty.

No leaks, red lines to 14k, pretty quick for a 250...

After Yamaha, Kawasaki is my next choice..

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know... before the FZ6 I had this....

It was pretty much the least reliable piece of equipment I have ever owned.

I bought it new and from day one it was a temperamental thing.

The bike would start and run just fine, but probably 1 out of 5 times I would park it it wouldn't start back up.

If it was parked long enough to cool off completely it would start no problem, but 1 out of 5 times it wouldn't start warm.

I had it into the dealer probably 10 times complaining, every time I was told nothing is wrong with it.

I finally cut my losses and sold it and picked up the FZ6.

and a couple more photos of the clip ons

I unfortunately can't take it for a spin with the clip-ons until I figure out the master cylinder reservoir issue that I'm having. Also, I'm not going to leave them on there until I can do something about the length of the clutch cable and brake lines.

The important bit is I got everything measured up and I made a list of what I need to do, so I'll be able to get this accomplished once the snow starts falling.

Last edited: