De-cat link pipe..pros and cons please

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if this will help but I thought I'd share my experience with a cat elim pipe. I had an Arrow Cat Elim pipe on my bike before adding an M4 Titanium Slip On. After changing out the exhaust I found it to be way too much noise for me. It seemed to me that it wasn't putting out too high a db level but that it was producing a a frequency that was very unpleasant to me. After putting the cat back on I found it to still be quite loud but tolerable.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I need to find the link but last week on the US EPA web site I was reading about US emissions and sound testing for motorcycles. A 600cc motorcycle makes about 4X to 6X the emissions as a modern auto, F150s included.

As far as gross pollution numbers China and Malaysia have the US beat. Yes, Malaysia, for burning their forests.

I'm not a greenie by any means but for a street bike I don't see a reason to gut a CAT. Besides the large CAT is about $400 USD!

Lastly with a Power Commander and a custom tune using complete combution as a target, not AFV for a target, the FZ6 has almost zero emissions, and it will make more and smoother power.

Details here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/6086-pc3-custom-tuned-dyno-results.html

Last edited:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
rofl yea as if 1 600cc bike matter compared to the millions of ford F150 trucks that have been sold the last few years..

quick calculation, a ford f150 5.3 liter V8 does 5.5 kilometers on 1 liter of fuel.
My fz6 does about 18 on 1 liter, and my car 14...
so my car and bike combined are less poluting than 1 american ford f150 lol..

hmm or not... sorry to ruin your day but:

Motorcycles and emissions: The surprising facts - latimes.com

:BLAA:

simonwb

Back in black
Reaction score
Visit site
Gilo

One thing you might want to think about fitting an elim pipe is that it might push your cans back out through your bike's tail piece a couple of cm. That's what my Arrow elim pipe did to my Devils, I guess because the Arrow pipe's a bit longer than the OE cat pipe:

picture.php

I don't worry about that as I've got a massive great topbox fitted to the a*rse of my bike anyway.

On your wider question, yes the elim pipe did make my Devil's louder but I think it improved throttle response a smidge and made the bike come alive that little bit more. I can't prove that, though, as I haven't done any before and after tests.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Outstanding link David! I'm glad the article mentioned the carp from China. Those "toy" ATVs and "mini" bikes are the worst.

Several years ago I was in LA for a wedding and brought my bicycle. I rode the LA spill ways, great way to get around. As I was riding I encounted several "swarms" of kids, like 30 to 40, riding sh*tty Chinese made mini bikes. They were all two strokes and left a huge blue cloud in their wake.

Oh, a lawn mower is 40X the emissions of a car, that is per the City of Austin.

cyprusgrump

Reaction score
www.virtual-pub.com
Nobody has mentioned that removing the cat also removes the blast furnace from your right leg!

I took mine out when I fitted the LeoVinces - even without the dB killers I don't find them too loud. Much cooler too...

Reference the environment - I thought the cat changed the exhaust emissions into CO2 - I'd have thought the Lentalists would encourage us to remove them and reduce dreaded 'Greenhouse Gas' emissions! :D

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Outstanding link David! I'm glad the article mentioned the carp from China. Those "toy" ATVs and "mini" bikes are the worst.

Several years ago I was in LA for a wedding and brought my bicycle. I rode the LA spill ways, great way to get around. As I was riding I encounted several "swarms" of kids, like 30 to 40, riding sh*tty Chinese made mini bikes. They were all two strokes and left a huge blue cloud in their wake.

Oh, a lawn mower is 40X the emissions of a car, that is per the City of Austin.

Charcoal grills are one of the worst offenders. Emissions are why two stroke leaf blowers, and edge trimmers are all going away. Two strokes are hideous for unburnt fuel.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Excellent link! Emissions standards are set in grams per mile, no matter the type of vehicle. So a 6.2L v8 has to meet the same standards as a 3.0L v6 in a truck, even though the V8 consumes more fuel per mile.

Some states are cracking down on emissions equipment removal from recreational vehicles. I know in WI, they are trying to make up more severe punishments (not just monetary) for tampering with OEM installed emissions items.

I do not have a problem with aftermarket exhausts, but I disagree with removing the cat con if the bike is going to be primarily used on the street. Most of these cat eliminator pipes are sold as "off road use only" any way. If you are setting up a track bike, I have no issue with deleting emissions equipment, the limited use is not going to cause that much pollution. While I am not a tree hugger by any stretch of the imagination, I feel that deliberately polluting more is not moving in the right direction.

Dustin

MotorBoatin Son of a Btch
Reaction score
Visit site
Who cares about emissions! The world is going to end in 2012 anyways. HAHA

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Who cares about emissions! The world is going to end in 2012 anyways. HAHA

lol.. well I guess I was wrong, man enough to admit that
(that and the overwhelming amount of evidence I can't argue with :p)

Besides, according to scientists the worlds gonna get a whole lot colder in the winter the next 20 years, sorta like an ice age. so the whole global warming thing invented by honda and toyota to sell hybrids appears to be paused...

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Global warming sounds nice to me, from UK, could do with the heat about now :BLAA:

On second note, i have scorpion endcans, i rode them without db killers for a year and loved the sound then i put db killers in for MOT and hated it!!! I recently taken them back out, installed a De-cat and a power commander (still not dyno tuned) but running on some custom map i found. also with K&N air filter and damnnnn!! it sounds brutal :eek: i love it, no ear plugs for me. i love the sound of the bike now, every1 turns a head, just have to be carfull when rolling past the local enforcemnet but ahh well it is a price to pay for a very nice sounding bike, also i noticed power gain in all gears and it runs A ok for me, hope this helps my friend :)

Dan :thumbup:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Global warming sounds nice to me, from UK, could do with the heat about now :BLAA:

On second note, i have scorpion endcans, i rode them without db killers for a year and loved the sound then i put db killers in for MOT and hated it!!! I recently taken them back out, installed a De-cat and a power commander (still not dyno tuned) but running on some custom map i found. also with K&N air filter and damnnnn!! it sounds brutal :eek: i love it, no ear plugs for me. i love the sound of the bike now, every1 turns a head, just have to be carfull when rolling past the local enforcemnet but ahh well it is a price to pay for a very nice sounding bike, also i noticed power gain in all gears and it runs A ok for me, hope this helps my friend :)

Wow! I bet that thing is crazy loud! I'm kinda scared to take out my DB-kililers now I have the airbox mod and decat pipe. I know it made the bike louder, but I'm not sure if I can handle it that loud!

I'd love to be your hearing aid supplier in 20 years! :p

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! I bet that thing is crazy loud! I'm kinda scared to take out my DB-kililers now I have the airbox mod and decat pipe. I know it made the bike louder, but I'm not sure if I can handle it that loud!

I'd love to be your hearing aid supplier in 20 years! :p

haha yea lol i will be paying out my arse lol but ah well sound is awesome, some might frown upon this but i have a scala headset on my helmet so i can talk with another rider or most of the time have the radio on it, so it kinda takes my mind of the sound of the bike so i dont even notice it is that loud, but on some rides i just like to hear the exhaust note :)

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
is it possible to fit the arrow cat clim pipe to stock headers and stock exhaust? it seems a little too short for it..

any1 tried this before?

hazy

Reaction score
Visit site
is it possible to fit the arrow cat clim pipe to stock headers and stock exhaust? it seems a little too short for it..

any1 tried this before?

I do have a arrow midpipe with stock exhaust system.The length of the mid pipe is slightly longer for 2007 onwards.Just make sure you have the correct year for your mid pipe.

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
hmm ok. so 2006 and before midpipe is shorter therefore wont be able to fit 2007 bike onwards? that clears the air.. thanks dude..

valet

Reaction score
Visit site

Hi would you advice to use power commander after install decat pipe?