Cutaway FZ6 engine

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was at Yamaha today and they had a cutaway R6 engine. It could be a 2000 model, but it looks otherwise close. Only difference I could see was the clutch actuator arm at the opposite side....

Anyone else spot the differences?

westmask

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Bikebiz.Obviously, the pix are cool.I wonder if you can explain ine thing that I don't quite get. I only see three intake ports.I assume one is : siamesed" with an adjoing cylinder.I fthis an R-6, does the same hold true to our [ my 2009 ] FZ-6 ?I also saw in your list of up-grades that you listed 15W fork oil.First, why the change & second, what brand/ type ? Synthetic ? I'm still way into the learning curve,any help id appreciated. westmask

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Westm, yep there are 4 intakes, you can see the last one cutaway in the 3rd pic.

I used Motul mineral fork oil, which was $20(AUD) for 1 litre (all you need for both forks, they take around 450ml a leg). You can go synthetic for about $30.

I went to 15w because the forks were diving too quickly under heavy braking for my tastes, but more importantly the forks were compressing and rebounding too quickly. BTW I weight 80kg.

This is a simple stop-gap to slow the action of the forks. I love the difference, but I'm far from finished. I plan on having the internals completely overhauled (as well as the rear shock) because if you're going fast on bumpy road (they all are here in NSW!) then the suspension on this bike is an absolute shocker, pun intended. I rode 650km yesterday and on the fun stuff, I was constantly battling with it.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Westm, yep there are 4 intakes, you can see the last one cutaway in the 3rd pic.

I used Motul mineral fork oil, which was $20(AUD) for 1 litre (all you need for both forks, they take around 450ml a leg). You can go synthetic for about $30.

I went to 15w because the forks were diving too quickly under heavy braking for my tastes, but more importantly the forks were compressing and rebounding too quickly. BTW I weight 80kg.

This is a simple stop-gap to slow the action of the forks. I love the difference, but I'm far from finished. I plan on having the internals completely overhauled (as well as the rear shock) because if you're going fast on bumpy road (they all are here in NSW!) then the suspension on this bike is an absolute shocker, pun intended. I rode 650km yesterday and on the fun stuff, I was constantly battling with it.

Ohlins! :D:D:D

westmask

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks so much Bikebiz.I thought it was me, during a few emergency hard stops.It does dive way too fast & hard.Which then biases me forward making the rear end start to swing.That's a cheap & easy piece of insurance. Much appreciated, westmask.