Critique my Gear!

thomka60

Reaction score
Visit site
Joe Rocket Rasp
HCJ Helmet
Alpinestars Thunder Gloves
Alpinestars S-MX 5 Waterproof Boots (Just got today :D )

In a perfect world and a fatter wallet I'd like to get some riding pants, upgraded helmet and possibly an armored vest (icon field armor?) and some some knee protection. I would probably get some Joe Rocket over pants to zip into the back of the jacket.

Gear.png

And my favorite piece of gear! :BLAA:

09FZ62.png

Last edited:

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks pretty good. I almost got the SMX boots myself, but ended up getting the Sidi Vertigos. And for pants, I would definitely get them when you can. I went my first season in jeans, and I feel much better on the bike now that I have a good pair of riding pants.

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
That is a good start IMHO for gear. I would suggest getting some knee/shin guards as soon as you are able as it would have saved me some pain on a fall I had. I have a review of some Icon knee/shin guards (plug) in the review threads. I would also suggest some underpants padded armor (like bime shirts, but padded). But otherwise I think that is a good start.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You asked for a critique, so don't get offended.

As far as visiblity, you're rating would be a zero. Factor in the color of the bike, gets even worse. Factor in that most of the surface streets and highways are made out of asphault which is also black, you're pretty much making it impossible for others to see you.

You also said it yourself, you need riding pants. I can never understand why people are willing to sacrifice their legs and knees. Those body part is just as important as your hands and arms. But as long you acknowledged that you need them, that's good:thumbup:

As I always say in class, just because you ride a black Ninja, doesn't mean you have to dress like one. Break up the colors, get some white or pink.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Most pants/jackets come with the receiving zipper so you can sew them to pretty much any other make jacket/pants.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
Critique on what basis: protection? If so, it's a question of where you're most vulnerable to a serious injury in a fall, so the next priorities I see are impact (armor) and legs, and then waist and wrists, with Vegas's note on viz (I use a retina-scorching vest in low-viz conditions myself).

Unfortunately, there's no "pride" armor available to save you there for sale at any price ;)

Critique on style? :thumbup:

thomka60

Reaction score
Visit site
You asked for a critique, so don't get offended.

As far as visiblity, you're rating would be a zero. Factor in the color of the bike, gets even worse. Factor in that most of the surface streets and highways are made out of asphault which is also black, you're pretty much making it impossible for others to see you.

You also said it yourself, you need riding pants. I can never understand why people are willing to sacrifice their legs and knees. Those body part is just as important as your hands and arms. But as long you acknowledged that you need them, that's good:thumbup:

As I always say in class, just because you ride a black Ninja, doesn't mean you have to dress like one. Break up the colors, get some white or pink.

Thanks Vegas, I agree! My bike prior was a bright blue Ninja 250 but now that I have a black FZ6 I realize this could be an issue. My next jacket will be much brighter as well as my helmet. Thanks for the advice!

pkoosa

Reaction score
Visit site
when it's dark it doesn't matter what color the bike or gear is unless it has some reflective properties built into it, it will be hidden within the dark of the night.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Not a bad start, as others have said, but I have to agree that you need more visibility. I would also recommend gauntlet gloves for more wrist protection, although you at least picked some pretty stout looking gloves (at least for short gloves).

Yes...pants. Get them. Now. There's no excuse. Check out the closeout sections of Motorcyclegear.com, Motorcycle Superstore.com, Bike Bandit, Dennis Kirk, Iron Pony, etc. You can get a good pair of pants for what you paid for those short gloves.

BTW, I'm not sure what the "M1 Tech Jacket" is, but that's the Joe Rocket Rasp (maybe there's a label on there that says M1 Tech Jacket), but that's definitely the Rasp. Good choice (for textile...I prefer leather unless I'm commuting through town). Any speeds higher than that and it's leather for me.

And while we're critiquing...get a real back protector and forget that vest. I know, it says it's CE certified. Whatever. Go drop $20-$30 more and get a dedicated, on-the-body back protector from Forcefield or Knox (Joe Rocket has the Speedmaster back protector that's the exact same one as the Forcefield L2...they licensed it from Forcefield).

The gear is a good start...now one-up it. :thumbup:

thomka60

Reaction score
Visit site
your absolutely right about the jacket. It says M1 Tech on the back so I just assumed. I got a great deal on it a local bike shop and really haven't done much research on it but its very comfortable and nice quality build.

Thanks for the info!

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
Most pants/jackets come with the receiving zipper so you can sew them to pretty much any other make jacket/pants.

I have Olympia jackets and 2 pairs of pants (1 x olympia airglide 2 and 1 x Tourmaster waterproof) I just got a friend to sew the pant side of my olympia jacket zipper to the jacket side of my tourmaster pants pants zipper. A lot easier than trying to replace the zipper on the Tourmaster pants.

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on zipping gear together. Local alteration shop took care of it for me, and feels good to have pants/jacket connected for street duty.

nksmfamjp

Reaction score
Visit site
Not bad. Since it isn't rainwear, black should be ok for visibility. That is why I like white base helmets. Of course a white helmet is dork, so it needs some good graphics. It looks like the jacket has piping?? for night visibility?

Great boots, especially if they fit well and shift well.

I think I would focus on getting pants with good CE hard pads at the knees and maybe something at the hip. Leather is best, but if you will wear them more, I think good mesh would be ok.

Then I would look into a more serious jacket with CE hard elbow and shoulder pads. Most have an upgradable back pad which might be a good upgrade.

Also, some bright colored raingear is always a good addition.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your jacket is also branded as the Buell Adventure jacket. I've had that jacket and pants for three years now. It's a very good three season jacket, and with the pants that zip to it, makes a great suit. I'm sure JR makes a pant to zip into your jacket. Other than that your gear looks fine to me.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Not bad. Since it isn't rainwear, black should be ok for visibility. That is why I like white base helmets. Of course a white helmet is dork, so it needs some good graphics. It looks like the jacket has piping?? for night visibility?

I agree. Every time I've almost been hit or run off the road, I was wearing my military required high-viz vest. Can't recall once that I wasn't wearing it, that something happened. As far as I can tell, only the MSF really pushes the high-viz stuff. But to each his own. My jackets aren't dark by any means, but I'm not dressing like it's 1980 either. :D

Unless I'm going to or leaving base that is. Far as I'm concerned, except for dawn/dusk and inclement weather (assuming your gear has reflective panels), wear whatever full gear you want, cages won't see you anyway.

I do need to get some pants that don't make me sweat so bad I look like I peed myself when I get where I'm going. Maybe I'd wear them more.

Ideally though, you'd be wearing one of these: Suits : Spartan Apparel, www.SpartanLeathers.com
:BLAA:

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
have the same JR jacket that I wear for short rides in the summer. You're right, it's pretty comfortable. Like Vegas and a few others mentioned higher visibility is nice to have. You can remedy that buy purchasing a running belt, or high vis vest (check out webBikeWorld for some good reviews.

Pants are a must. If you're at a good bike shop, they should let you try on the pants and sit on their bikes to see how they fit. Remember, your pants will ride a little high at the ankle when in a proper riding 'tuck.' Also, this will affect how/where your knee armour sits.

Otherwise, your gear looks good to me. And at least your wearing it (which is the most important thing, whether you're wearing cheap or expensive gear!) :thumbup: