Cricket help required urgently...

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I have just joined a new cricket club here in Ireland, I am actually the treasurer.
The club is the Slieve Bloom CC ( find it on FB).

Well I need some help,
I have only played 1 game before and don't have a clue about what kit I need, what size bat etc.
How to hold it and any basic advice will be greatly appreciated.

Nelly

Hi Guys,

I have just joined a new cricket club here in Ireland, I am actually the treasurer.
The club is the Slieve Bloom CC ( find it on FB).

Well I need some help,
I have only played 1 game before and don't have a clue about what kit I need, what size bat etc.
How to hold it and any basic advice will be greatly appreciated.

Nelly

Bat size will be a harrow (yes thats a size) depending on your height will it will either be a long or short handle , brand wise you cant beat a Grey Nicholls :thumbup:

you will also need batting pads (i use slazenger) , gloves (grey nic) , helmet (if you choose) & a box (not the cardboard type) the one that saves your cods ;) & for social cricket thats all :D

Remember that you also need to knock your bat in , I bet that there is plenty of 'knock in' balls/mallets around the club

Hope that helps mate :)

I know nothing about cricket, but at least I can see how you can pay for your "kit"... :BLAA:

as for batting advice well typing & showing is a different matter...... But there are a few simple things that will help like , footwork footwork footwork get you front foot to the pitch of the ball then you can adjust to the back if need be , keep the bat straight & your head over the ball/bat at all times :thumbup: and the most important of all soft hands, without fail ALWAYS play with soft hands nicks wont carry then & it forces you to play with balance :thumbup:

Bat size will be a harrow (yes thats a size) depending on your height will it will either be a long or short handle , brand wise you cant beat a Grey Nicholls :thumbup:

you will also need batting pads (i use slazenger) , gloves (grey nic) , helmet (if you choose) & a box (not the cardboard type) the one that saves your cods ;) & for social cricket thats all :D

Remember that you also need to knock your bat in , I bet that there is plenty of 'knock in' balls/mallets around the club

Hope that helps mate :)
Well as you know Dan I am a short ar5e. I was thinking about getting a size 7 bat which suits height 5'6" to 5'9". I am 5'7" on a good day. And having just checked the size chart is equivalent to a "Harrow". Dam your good lol.
I am also concerned about throwing techniques, all I have ever thrown is a rugger ball.

Nelly

as for batting advice well typing & showing is a different matter...... But there are a few simple things that will help like , footwork footwork footwork get you front foot to the pitch of the ball then you can adjust to the back if need be , keep the bat straight & your head over the ball/bat at all times :thumbup: and the most important of all soft hands, without fail ALWAYS play with soft hands nicks wont carry then & it forces you to play with balance :thumbup:
Soft hands, do ya mean like having a light grip?
Nelly

Well as you know Dan I am a short ar5e. I was thinking about getting a size 7 bat which suits height 5'6" to 5'9". I am 5'7" on a good day. And having just checked the size chart is equivalent to a "Harrow". Dam your good lol.
I am also concerned about throwing techniques, all I have ever thrown is a rugger ball.

Nelly

then I suggest you field no deeper than mid-on/off , or square leg & throw flat (parallel to the ground) not over (but that works for some like in this video)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuMCdFUKo9Q]How to Throw and Catch in Cricket - YouTube[/ame]

Just found this for you too mate :thumbup:

I miss my cricket days :( & the more help you ask for the more I really want to coach kids :thumbup:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVQFT3-YlXM&feature=related]Grip, Stance & Backlift - YouTube[/ame]

Back