Crating a bike

CFPilot

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm moving this week, and am crating my bike to ship it, and I'm wondering if anyone has any pics or advice on how/where to put the tie downs. I'll put the front straps on the bars, but where does the one on the rear go? I don't want to scratch the passenger handles.

Any help would be great!

Joe

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
A tip I got from a friend when using luggage, and it applies to using tie-downs, is to put tape (particularly duct-tape) on the areas that the straps will touch. It will keep the straps from marring and rubbing the painted finish. When you pull the tape off, it will leave a residue behind. A little WD-40 and a rag will get that off without any ill-effect to the painted finish.

Related question: I will be moving cross country in a year and want to move my bike with me. What company are you using? Cost? Where did the crate come from? etc... Any details you can give would be great.

CFPilot

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sending it along with a shipment of electronics for my father's company, so its only costing $75. I got the crate from a dealership for free. Some dealership were going to charge me between $100 - $200 for a crate they were going to throw out! Most shipping companies I talked to were charging from 800 to 1200 to ship the bike, so if you can find a company in your area that might have some room in the back of a truck, it'd be worth looking into. Ebay forums has some good discussions on bike shipping companies.

eBay Discussion Boards in eBay Forums

I can't find the exact thread right now, but there is one in there with quite a few companies and reviews.