Craigslist Scammer?????

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
So this seemed like a HUGE red flag to me when the "seller" replied to my posting on craigslist within 10 minutes for an electric range that I priced high to begin with. Not only that but the content of the email is even worse.

--
Hi there,
I will like to know if this Item is still available for sale?

Brian.

Brian,
It is still available. are you interested?

Chip

Brian Hanson
to me

show details 10:19 PM (9 hours ago)

Thanks for your reply concerning my inquiry. I am quite comfortable with the condition of the item. Since I won't be making any repairs on it, I will add $50 to the purchase price... for you to hold it for me,Please provide your full name, House Address (NOT A PO. BOX) and your Phone number so that I can send your payment. I will be paying you by Money Order.. It will take 2-3 days for the payment to get to you...As for delivery, I will make arrangements for the pick-up after you have received payment,If this meets your approval, kindly get back to me, as soon as possible, with your Full name, phone # and mailing address where payment will be sent, so that I can have my assistant get the Money Order ready.

Note:
As soon as you have your money in hand, we can talk about the picking up of the item.
I would like you to take the posting off craigslist.org today.

Brian Hanson

I don't think I'm being too critical of this weasel am I? It seems like a pretty typical scam. Is there a way to report these scumbags? There is probably no way to prove that they will actually screw you until your A$$ already hurts. :spank:

People like this make me angry. I'm still trying to figure out something good to get back to him with. So since I can't find which parents' basement this mound of crap is holed up in let's have some fun with this and come up with a funny way to reply to Mr. Sleezeball

Last edited:

BH322893

Pastry Chef
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.HarpersBakery.net
ask him if he can send you $75 extra to hold it but tell him you'll only except paypal, that should get him to figure it out. there is no way to really do anything about the scammers because they are most likely operating in another country. you could always send him the phone # and address of your local state police barracks and let them deal with it.:BLAA:

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
strange, my friend's name is brian hanson hahaha, really though.

But yes he could easily be trying to get your personal information for any one of NUMEROUS reasons. He can use that information to apply for loans, grants, rent-a-cars, credit cards, etc. He could also be trying to find your house address as to come and rob you while you're at work. That happened in these parts a number of times before it made it to the news.

Meet him in a neutral location, and don't give your address out.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No doubt a scammer. I have done alot of dealing on Craigslist and I would immediately delete an e-mail worded like this.

Beware.

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
My local news has a segment were they like to investigate stuff like this and expose these... scumbags, then plaster there faces all over the news to let the public know. It would be sweet to see something like that happen.

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm so leery of anything on Craigslist I have sold a couple things with them before. But is was before all the scammer stuff started up. I don't deal with anyone on CL over Email I only talk over the phone with them. unless it's a local number the deal is off.Then never meet them at your home meet them at some neutral place a local shopping mall of something like that with lots of people around .

Amorousnerdium

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.jasonwoodcock.biz
Well, as federal law enforcement this is my line of work... (Investigating these scammers)

The idea is to get you the money order, you cash it, ship the item quickly, then when the money order comes back as bogus you are liable and out of the item. This usually takes up to a week or more depending on where you cashed it, bank used, etc.

A second line of attack is that if the money order IS real, a lot of places require the cashier/clerk to write your SSN on the money order. If the money order is drawn against the scammer's business, then when he gets copies of all money orders/checks that have cleared on his account, your SSN and birthday are in his hands as well.

BEWARE.

Cash only. Public meetings. Retain all serial numbers. Have him sign a bill of sale/receipt with his information.

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, as federal law enforcement this is my line of work... (Investigating these scammers)

There must not be a good way to track these dbags though huh? unless they actually screw someone than it's hard to prove that that is going to be their intent. otherwise you are investigating them because they already screwed somebody. It must be hard to track them down I would think.

Amorousnerdium

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.jasonwoodcock.biz
There must not be a good way to track these dbags though huh? unless they actually screw someone than it's hard to prove that that is going to be their intent. otherwise you are investigating them because they already screwed somebody. It must be hard to track them down I would think.

The cases I end up involved in are situations where the suspect/suspects have already pulled this scam on a good number of people. From my experience $10,000 to $65,000.

Tracking them down and connecting them is a task all in itself. IF we even end up having the cooperation with their law enforcement (most are based out of foreign countries). We have our ways nonetheless.

stealthyman

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for your generous offer; however, I sold the item to a policeman a few minutes ago. You may contact him directly as he may be interested in your offer.

suzharley21

Reaction score
Visit site
I was almost scammed till intuition..and my brother and boyfriend read this from " Brian Hanson" ..

Hello there,

Will like to know if this is still available..i am interested

Get back to me as soon as possible

Thanks...

Brian[Available]

Suzanne Resseguie to Brian

show details Oct 12 (2 days ago)

hi Brian,
yes I have a few inquiries..here is a pic. get back if interested. thanks:) Suzanne
[Available] Suzanne Resseguie to Hanson

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 2:44 AM, Mr. Hanson <[email protected]> wrote:

Thanks for your reply concerning my inquiry. I am quite comfortable with the condition of the item.
Since I won't be making any repairs on it, I will add $50 to the purchase price... for you to hold it for me,
Please provide your full name, House Address (NOT A PO. BOX) and your Phone number so that I can send your payment.
I will be paying you by Money Order.. It will take 2-3 days for the payment to get to you...As for delivery, I will make arrangements for the pick-up after you have received payment,If this meets your approval, kindly get back to me, as soon as possible, with your Full name, phone # and mailing address where payment will be sent, so that I can have my assistant get the Money Order ready.

Note:
As soon as you have your money in hand, we can talk about the picking up of the item.
I would like you to take the posting off craigslist.org today.

Brian Hanson.
.Thanks for your understanding and patience.I would like you to take the posting off CL today..

Brian Hanson.
show details Oct 13 (2 days ago)

Mr. Hanson,
Thank you for your response. My name is Suzanne Resseguie. 38 Harvey Avenue Lockport, New York 14094.
cellular..5854748391. I have taken the listing off craigslist respectfully.
Sincerely ,
Suzanne[Offline]

Mr. Hanson to me

show details 4:29 AM (7 hours ago)

I want to inform you that my assistant have send out the payment to your contact address you gave me...But there is
something i think i must bring to your notice. After a reconciliation of my account,i discovered that some how
my assistant have over paid you.The payment that was meant for another transaction was sent to you and the
one meant for you was sent to another, however i want to believe i won't have any problem with this and if i can trust you
with my Money.
Please once you receive the payment, i will like you to take it to your bank and cash it,
deduct your money for the item and send the remaining Balance to the manager's of the shipping company
that will come and pick-up the item at your place.I will provide the info you need to complete the Western Union transfer
once you receive payment...i hope to hearing from you as soon as possible.....Thanks once again for your understanding.
Brian Hanson.
Suzanne Resseguie [email protected]
to "Mr. Hanson" <[email protected]>
date Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 9:55 AM
subject Re: .........KEEP ME POSTED.........
mailed-by gmail.com

hide details 9:55 AM (1 hour ago)

No I will not do this. It is obviously a scam! If you sent any money order ..give me your address and it will be sent back.
I will not sell this to you..and it will be investigated, if there is even a question of falseness..
- Show quoted text -

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
"I am quite comfortable with the condition of the item".

Anytime there is something generic in the email about the thing which you are selling. Its usually a scam. Also, if it seems like a canned email. The kind where they throw your name or item description into a obviously swappable spot.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Here ya go, give him this...

<you name goes here>
c/o Brewer Police Department
151 Parkway South
Brewer, ME 04412
207-989-7001

Bet you don't hear from him anymore :)

Edit - Just noticed this thread was from JANUARY! :banghead: I should have learned to read the whole thread and check the dates before posting :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
Every once in a while I get this at work about car repairs. Some one will call using a relay service for hearing impaired. And want repairs done. They say they will pay in advance with a money order and if they cancel they would want a refund in a westernunion money order. I just tell the phone operator that it is a scam and don't contact me again.