Cracked Coolant Reservoir

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Well this was a bummer. I walked out to my bike this morning to find a pool of coolant on the driveway. It didn't take long to identify the source. There's a hairline fracture in the reservoir. It's odd. I rode it Friday and it sat all day Saturday with no signs of leakage. Then this morning after the hot sun hit it (I imagine) it warmed up and started peeing. Oh well... I'm overdue for a coolant change. My bike is just forcing my hand.

Anybody ever have the reservoir spontaneously fail? I can't imagine a rock getting to it, but you never know.

I've already contacted a forum member who is parting out a 2004 about his res.

Is it actually called the "recovery tank?"

mayassa

Reaction score
Visit site
They sell the plastic (epoxy?) kit at the auto parts store made for Coolant Reservoirs. Not expensive, I did my sisters car 5 years ago and has not leaked since.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
They sell the plastic (epoxy?) kit at the auto parts store made for Coolant Reservoirs. Not expensive, I did my sisters car 5 years ago and has not leaked since.

I considered this, but ended up ordering a new one for $30.00. If the crack was above the normal coolant level I would definitely epoxy it. Since I don't glance down at my gauges often enough I figure I may as well play it safe and install a new one.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats the first recovery tank I've heard crack from normal usage.

Once its apart, can you look a little closer as see if something got kicked up from the front tire and punctured it?

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats the first recovery tank I've heard crack from normal usage.

Once its apart, can you look a little closer as see if something got kicked up from the front tire and punctured it?

It is indeed odd. The crack is on the back of it and I don't see any indication of an impact. I got a used replacement from a forum member, but it looks quite different and I doubt it will fit. I believe it's from an '07 and my bike is an '06. (I had it in my head that the FZ6 was updated in '08, not '07... oops.)

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Old age it seems. I epoxied the crack last night and I was about to install it a few minutes ago when I noticed its twin (which you can see in the pic below). I epoxied that one just now (even though it's not leaking YET) so at least I can ride until I get a replacement. The bike has been parked for a week and a half now - my longest stretch without riding in 6 years..

ad357eb7-0798-47e9.jpg

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
Old age it seems. I epoxied the crack last night and I was about to install it a few minutes ago when I noticed its twin (which you can see in the pic below). I epoxied that one just now (even though it's not leaking YET) so at least I can ride until I get a replacement. The bike has been parked for a week and a half now - my longest stretch without riding in 6 years..

ad357eb7-0798-47e9.jpg
wow it almost looks like somebody sabotaged your ride with a stanley blade
if i was you i would use a bike cover and make sure the cover can be locked, my one has 2 hoops which i use a u-lock to secure to my main stand

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
wow it almost looks like somebody sabotaged your ride with a stanley blade
if i was you i would use a bike cover and make sure the cover can be locked, my one has 2 hoops which i use a u-lock to secure to my main stand

That would be some creative tom-foolery indeed. No, it's simply age/stress.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at the 06 vs 07 manual, it seems they moved the reservoir from behind the engine to the front of the engine (a bit more air flow). It would be nice if you could re-tro fit it like an 07 but it'd probably be a PIA.

IMHO, if you can get some heat reflective material(header wrap), I'd place it ahead of the tank once its installed and try to deflect some of the engine heat..

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I happen to be the proud owner of an '07 reservoir and the existing tubing is plenty long enough for a tank migration. Can somebody post a pic of there 07 or later overflow tank position?

Aside from that...
I epoxied that entire section and installed it tonight. It has remained liquid tight for a few hours now. As a matter of fact, I just walked out to check and the whole system is nice and dry.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I happen to be the proud owner of an '07 reservoir and the existing tubing is plenty long enough for a tank migration. Can somebody post a pic of there 07 or later overflow tank position?

Aside from that...
I epoxied that entire section and installed it tonight. It has remained liquid tight for a few hours now. As a matter of fact, I just walked out to check and the whole system is nice and dry.

Tony,

Looking at mine, besides the tank, the lower radiator holder bracket extends out to help secure the steel "wrap around" part. There's also a separate small tab on the right side on the "wrap around part as well that bolts to the engine. With those three parts (you already have the tank) it looks doable. I'd check for anyone parting out an 07 or up bike if you want to go this route..

If you go to any Yamaha parts fisch for an 07 and up, it should show the parts separately.

I took some pic's but its tight in there:

Last edited: