CR9EIX Plugs, help please!

FloppyRunner

Motorcycle Noooooooooooob
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello there,

Went to change my spark plugs today, 8300 or so miles. Pulled out the first "cap" and pulled out the plug. Noticed the difference between new and old, as the picture attached shows.

Only just before I go to put the cap back on do I think "hmmm that's strange...". It looks as though the "connector" part of the old plug came off with the spark plug "cap" and not with the spark plug itself. I attempted to thread the plug back into the cap and sure enough it threaded in nicely, but when I tried to pull it out (hoping the "connector" piece would come with it this time, it just pulled out and you could hear the threads scraping.

I grabbed needle nosed pliers and tried to pull it out for a bit; you can probably see the "scarring". Am I off my rocker? Bought the wrong plugs? I pulled out the other three caps and all three did the same slight "scraping" noise on pulling out and showed the same things.

FML. Thanks for any help. I did plenty of spark plug FZ6 specific research before but never saw anything like this...

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
the spark plug wires will not accept a cap.. you just shove them in with the threads and it will go in fine. You cannot use those caps with these stock wires.

FloppyRunner

Reaction score
Visit site
So would I have to remove the little white tip from the plugs than? I feel like if I tried, the plug would break... Or just bought the wrong ones?

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it is just the iridium plugs that have those caps on them. I just did plugs in January using the oem Ngk ones and they didn't come with the caps.

See if you get a good snug fit using the existing wire. Seems like that could be a little project to replace the wire. I don't think you can just change the boot.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Those Iridium Plugs :thumbup:, replaced my stock plugs at 20,000 miles with them and I currently have logged over 43k with them as my odometer is just shy of 63K.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it is just the iridium plugs that have those caps on them. I just did plugs in January using the oem Ngk ones and they didn't come with the caps.

See if you get a good snug fit using the existing wire. Seems like that could be a little project to replace the wire. I don't think you can just change the boot.

Depends on the plug. The regular NGK plugs for my last bike had them too, probably because they weren't specifically for bikes.

If you go to www.ngk.com (this is not NGK's actual site) they have a "search by plug construction" tool that lets you look up plugs by thread, hex size, reach, heat range, and just about anything else you could think of. Comes in handy if you're trying to find a plug that isn't listed as being compatible- it also tells you if the plug has a solid terminal, screw-on terminal included, or just the threaded stud.

FloppyRunner

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I swear I'm really not that big of an idiot... I swear I tried to twist off the first one and it wouldn't budge...

The bike is up and running well though, despite me attempting to pull the #1 cap apart...

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
yuh, you prolly guessed by now that the scraping sound was being made by the spring wire in the cap that contacts the threaded part of the plug, ie: without the screw-on cap bit. As long as you didn't damage the wire spring too badly it will work perfectly. Scraping sound? Good thing. No scraping? Oops.