couple of vids from oulton park last week

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Went out on a trackday after booking one at the last minute. Had to quickly reassemble my split brakes, and it turned out get one helicoiled after the thread came loose. Also had to buy a new set of leathers, which is harder than you would think as it was the week before the IoMTT

This was my first proper track day in about a year and a half, and the first time I've pushed a bike around corners since my accident (I've been strictly commuting since then). I had also never ridden this bike before, so I was still getting used to it.

The bike is a GSXR600 K3, with racing cams, uprated suspension, steering damper, full titanium system etc. I must say once the engine gets singing it sounds amazing, a little like a crossplane IMO (though it doesn't sound like that on video). It severely lacks any kind of low end grunt, so you really have to keep the engine singing.

The first session was a write off, it was wet and drizzly, and I had dry tyres on, came in after 2 laps as I couldn't see anything out my visor. Came in, fitted a foggy mask to my helmet, and change the wheels over to wets. This was a complete PITA, and I ended up missing the next session. By the time I got them on the rain was starting to subside, but I just left them on for a few sessions as I was going so slow that they weren't melting too badly. Eventually got my dry tyres on for the last session with a bit of help.

I found I kept getting held up a little in corners by seemingly the same guy on an R1, who would then shoot off on the straights. I just need to work on my exit drive, and overtaking.

Enough excuses here's a video, and another one I made for fun of the drive home.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLDhbDpCk_o]A slow lap of Oulton Park (21-05-13) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq99PAY-WBo]Driving home from Oulton Park - YouTube[/ame]

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you had a pretty good day all in all (albeit with some annoyances).

3 minutes is too long to be looking at your backside :BLAA:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah I didn't realise the camera was so close, I'll move it around next time, and try some other mounting points (the bike came with the mount already there)

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
The previous owner must have been a narcissist :BLAA:

Track days look like fun, my buddy races at the Miller track by me. I keep getting urges to try a track day....but i just see $$$ signs flying around when i start to think that.

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dig those groovy tunes on the ride home!! Yeah baby :thumbup:

I will refrain from ButtCam comments at this time. Thanks for posting!

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, I've enjoyed this! Noticed you prefer engine braking rather than rev matching when shifting down, any reason for that?

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you had a pretty good day all in all (albeit with some annoyances).

3 minutes is too long to be looking at your backside :BLAA:

The behind line was the first thing I was thinking. Does Oulton allow suction mounts?
Great vid, shame about the weather. I was skidding the fz6 through a muddy field last Friday near Loughborough at a music festival but Sat, Sunday and leaving Monday were glorious.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, I've enjoyed this! Noticed you prefer engine braking rather than rev matching when shifting down, any reason for that?

like I said, I was doing pretty much everything wrong. I was struggling with the gear lever a little and kept missing shifts. I guess was playing it safe, on my road bike I have no issues blipping the throttle on a downshift, but I was a bit wary on this one. I tended to just hold the throttle at the right revs and match this way.

The behind line was the first thing I was thinking. Does Oulton allow suction mounts?
Great vid, shame about the weather. I was skidding the fz6 through a muddy field last Friday near Loughborough at a music festival but Sat, Sunday and leaving Monday were glorious.

They might be allowed, but you aren't allowed cams on your helmet or tank. Plus I wouldn't trust them. TBH weather could have been worse, changing tyres was annoying, but sed up greatly when people help. Spent most of my days on wets which although grippy probably wasn't great for the tyre.