• Cortech Super Mini

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • Joe Rocket Manta

Votes: 22 44.0%

• Total voters

Shafe716

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm trying to decided which tank bag to get. What do you guys think?

Cortech Super Mini
cortech-super-mini-tank-bag.jpg

or

Joe Rocket Manta
559_6_lg.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I voted for the Manta and here's why. I have a set of Cortech tank bags. There is a rubberized type of foam on the bottom where the magnets are. I live in So Cal. and so commute using the bag very often. What started to happen is the rubber foam started to break up where the magnets hold the pad to the tank. I feel like the material needs to be different than a foam type rubber. The Manta has a good rubberized material with out being foam that I feel will give longevity.

I don't know if you're ordering online or not but maybe go to a place that sells these models and check out the material that's used for the bottom of the bag.

The Mini might have the same material as the Manta but if it's like my Cortech bag I would prefer the Manta.

Hope this helps...

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been using the Manta XL for about 18 months now and find it ideal for short trips. It carries just enough stuff that a person my age never leaves home without. :D
I wish JR would redesign the bag, however. The old-fashioned "walkman" CD player pouch needs to be squared off (although by your picture it looks like they've done that...?) and a couple of extra zippered exterior pouches, one on each side would be ideal.
Oh, btw, my JR Manta XL tank bag has not marked my tank one bit. I think the secret is to make sure that the tank is nice and clean and DUST FREE before attaching the magnetic bag.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know about either of these products specifically but I would stray away from Joe Rocket. I find their quality to be garbage. I've had my jacket replaced twice. Could just be the jacket, but i don't trust Joe Rocket anymore.

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Cortech Mini and I think it's great. I can carry my mini pump & tire plugs along with enough other stuff for day trips. I haven't seen any evidence of the material failing like nccoder saw but I've only had the bag about 6 months. I have several other Cortech products and their quality is spot on.

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com
I also think the Cortech Super Mini is best, even though I have noted the same beginnings of foam degredation after four years of frequent on/off use. It has more usable space and convenient electronic cord pass-thru's.

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a big fan of Cortech luggage. I've had tank (that Mini you're looking at), side, and tail bags of theirs, and they've all been quality stuff.

That being said, the Manta is the only bit of Joe Rocket I've owned that hasn't been crap, and I still have it. It doesn't have a map pocket, so I have it just for quickie trips where I know where I'm going. ;)

Hatch81

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Mantra and its a nice bag and all....... But if that Cortech had been in stock I would have picked it. All the Cortech stuff I have owned has been great and the Mantra bag is always cramped

larryinpa

Reaction score
Visit site
I voted for the Manta, because that is what I have. It seems to work quite well, and holds more than I thought it would. One thing I would change is to do away with the dedicated phone holder and replace it with a small map case, but that's just me. Otherwise, a really nice case and matches my very fast, blue FZ6.

Last edited:

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not voting because I've never tried the Mini. I have the Manta and find it to be superbe for quick day trips when all you want to bring is a wallet, cell phone, keys, and a camera, ipod, or canned drink. It holds on very well, has a low profile and doesn't seem to damage the tank at all. Durable material, rain cover included (which works, I've used it), carry strap, and two outer pouches that are very handy. Top drawer.

Shafe716

Reaction score
Visit site
on Ebay they have a "NEW CORTECH SUPER MINI TANK BAG STRAP MOUNT RED" for $54. Is this the same bag everyone seems to like? I really like the map pouch.

NEW CORTECH SUPER MINI TANK BAG STRAP MOUNT RED:eBay Motors (item 280367590002 end time Aug-04-09 10:52:12 PDT)

I thought it was magnetic not strap mount?

Thanks in advance

Same bag different mount style. The cortech bag can be bought to mount either by strap or magnet. For the purposes of this poll I was referring to the Magnet style

sycamoredave

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the mini, and it is ok, but smallish. I use it on a different bike. i don't like the too small map pocket, and one of the zipper pulls has already broke off. It does not like water either. I have a Nelson Rigg that I have owned for years -very high quality, fits the FZ6 well, and it laughs at water. Just my two cents worth...

Ride safe...;)
Dave

LittleRed

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd highly recommend Nelson Rigg. They have a mini magnetic tank bag that is a great size and is very high quality ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Rigg-Classic-Mini-Magnetic-Black/dp/B000Y54Q3I/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1247903510&sr=8-9"]here's a link[/ame]). They offer a lifetime warranty on all of their stuff. I have their micro tank bag that goes for around $45 ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Rigg-Micro-Magnetic-Tank-Bag/dp/B001W5U35Y/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1247903945&sr=8-5"]this little guy[/ame]). It holds 3.5 liters and works great! Doesn't scratch the tank and those magnets are powerful little suckers.

Last edited:

BigJoeG

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Joe Rocket and voted for the Cortech. The cell phone pocket dosen't really fit modern phones. I carved down a piece of foam to how my razr in the window.

It always seems cramped. It has never scratched the tank :thumbup:.

The black has really started to fade after less than 2 seasons. I park in a garage too. It only sees the sun while riding and at work.

I am getting a Cortech tailbag today after looking at other people bags a few weeks back.