Cops vs. Sportbikers - good article

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
As I sat to edit last year's SoCal ride video on my old computer, I checked an old car news bookmark and ran across this article:

Cops and sportbikers: somebodys gonna hurt someone

"As I scan the motorcycling-related news lately, I have the feeling that American cops and sportbikers are engaged in a game of poker where neither party can resist raising the stakes. Hot on the heels of the sportbiker who was run onto the shoulder and threatened with a pistol by somebody who later on identified himself as a cop we have a story about a Washington State trooper who crashed while chasing stunt riders and was then taunted by those same riders as he lay bleeding by the side of the road."

I think most of us have seen the video where the rider cornered and accosted at gunpoint for some minor traffic violations -but I hadn't heard about the incident where a few riders taunted a bleeding police officer after he rolled his car during a pursuit.

That disturbs me. All you hoons in WA state, be careful. A few riders have given a bad name to our larger and generally more human community and left a real sour taste in the mouth of law enforcement, let alone the general population.

"Put aside the fact that the Washington State Trooper who crashed his cruiser was operating his vehicle way outside of his personal talent zone, and that he could have murdered a family with his irresponsible actions. If you think being buzzed by a motorcycle is scary, trying being hit by a Crown Vic doing a buck-twenty. This fellow will be the rallying point for troopers who are tired of being laughed at by these young men with their bad-ass literbikes and thong-wearing, tatted-up girlfriends."

Not saying I'm an angel on the street, but I like to think I know when a little fun is supposed to give way to caution, respect, and general compassion for other motorists and their right to live. I don't mean to fan flames by posting this article, just hope y'all give it a read and think about it next time you are in a position to influence the public's view of our sportbike community.

The essay is worth a read through. After reading the source article for the WA incident, that the State Trooper spokesperson pointed out that: "Typically, our Harleys don’t cause any trouble. They’re riding around trying to be safe," -gives you an idea of what their state of mind might be.

/rant. back to video converting...

Did a quick search on the forum, didn't see it posted. Sorry if I'm mistaken.

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
I think hes pretty far off base to be honest. I hardly think returning vets getting onto streetbikes to blow off steam is a large enough audience to target almost exclusively in that article.

Even fewer are the chances of a sportbike riding vet squaring off with an over zealous cop during a traffic stop.

Furthermore, I really have to discredit anyone who honestly believe cops take the job because they were bullied in high school or are on a power trip their whole career. He goes on to say "Many of them joined the force to escape feelings of inadeqacy". I'm sorry but this sounds like an 18 year old kid who's been pulled over and ran out of places to point the blame.

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
I kinda agree with you, Signal, but I think aside from those two paragraphs I thought the article said a lot of things that riders in general are/should be concerned with.

I think the author went a little hard on the vets (and the stabs at LEO officers), but I see where he's coming from.

I mean, look at the efforts the USMC is going through to educate/train the soldiers who choose to ride due to the number of soldiers who become injured/killed as result of their entry to the sport of motorcycling. I'm sure it has a lot to do with age demographics, but there's gotta be a trend there too with the elevated level of risk they assume each and every day.

I don't think most vets hold cops in contempt at all, and while I agree the whole "feelings of inadequacy" bit was off base, from my experiences most law enforcement officers quite enjoy their position of power, and really hate being disrespected/threatened.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
I think hes pretty far off base to be honest. I hardly think returning vets getting onto streetbikes to blow off steam is a large enough audience to target almost exclusively in that article.

Even fewer are the chances of a sportbike riding vet squaring off with an over zealous cop during a traffic stop.

Furthermore, I really have to discredit anyone who honestly believe cops take the job because they were bullied in high school or are on a power trip their whole career. He goes on to say "Many of them joined the force to escape feelings of inadeqacy". I'm sorry but this sounds like an 18 year old kid who's been pulled over and ran out of places to point the blame.

you clearly dont live in LA.

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
you clearly dont live in LA.

Nope, but I also don't use speeding as excuse to dislike cops. If your on a sportbike, you gotta know when and where to hang it out. You may live in LA but believe me, living in a small town and being only one of a few who ride a sport bike, I have equally as big a target painted on me.

cmor15

Reaction score
Visit site
I deleted your picture....cant put the "F-Bomb" on here...against site rules...even in a picture...

Last edited by a moderator:

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Very interesting article here. Its disappointing that people would commit such distasteful crimes against any human being, regardless of whether he or she is an officer. But, I feel like this article is biased, and was written from the perspective of the rider. It clearly pokes at officers, while justifying the riders.

With that opinion expressed, I agree with Powell that there are subjects in the article that should be concerned and dealt with for the safety of all motorists - education and training in risk and injury prevention both with police and riders; with traffic stop and chase laws clearly defined.

Maybe something can be done to minimize these occurrences as much as possible, as opposed to a rigid, black and white methodology. Clearly chasing every biker is not going to work, but neither is letting them go.

Regardless, interesting subject if you ask me.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Crazy, but all I care about is the video :D

Thanks for putting the time in for it Powell!!! See ya Sat.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope, but I also don't use speeding as excuse to dislike cops. If your on a sportbike, you gotta know when and where to hang it out. You may live in LA but believe me, living in a small town and being only one of a few who ride a sport bike, I have equally as big a target painted on me.

I dont know if I agree with this. Yeah, you do stand out on a sportbike in a small town although I doubt that the cops there have the big city cop mentality; CHP mentality. I dealt with cops here over the last 4 years in many different incidents. As some members here who I ride with would know, I dealt with some BS big time. You can go back on the threads and search for my posts and see what Im talking about if you are really curious.

You assume a lot of things. No one talked about disliking cops or speeding. I know better than judging a whole group of people based on fews actions. But to be honest, I cant find anything to like about the assholes who wrote me all the bs tickets and made a barely-getting-by college student pay hundreds of dollars out of his pocket. It really offends me to be picked out of a crowd because some ******* hates motorcyclists knowing how much I care about traffic laws and safe driving habits. I care not because some stupid law enforces it, I care because I ride a bike and I want to live long. Stop profiling me and treating me like a criminal because Im on a sportbike and take the drivers license away from the 90+ grim reaper who cant see over the steering wheel in their SUV.

Last edited:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Mike, that stock blue Buell windshield could be mistaken for a police car... the cop was right so be a man, pay that $800 ticket and shut up!!!

:rof:

Seriously, you did indeed have a serious streak of bad luck with LA cops... is that all behind you now btw? what about your brakes? all good for Sat.?

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
Always check your rear view , as it could be one of these cruisers !!1

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAU9lFf6NfM&feature=related]YouTube - World's Fastest Police Car Interceptor Brainerd Raceway Tn[/ame]

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Mike, that stock blue Buell windshield could be mistaken for a police car... the cop was right so be a man, pay that $800 ticket and shut up!!!

:rof:

Seriously, you did indeed have a serious streak of bad luck with LA cops... is that all behind you now btw? what about your brakes? all good for Sat.?

Yeah dude all that nonsense is over. Brakes are fixed too and I just got back from an awesome ride on ACH. :D

About that ticket, I paid a 100 dollar fee, taped the back of the screen with electrical tape as someone suggested and got it signed off at the court. Case closed.

While I was getting it signed off, the officer who looked at it seemed confused. He asks: So what is the violation? I explained all the nonsense. He goes "hmm, i've never heard of such thing"

So yeah...:banghead: