Cooling fan repair update!

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
This post is for those who had the balls to make a repair but have no idea how long it may last.

Ok, my cooling fan as repaired according to the pictures and description elswhere here (08 model) has currently beeen in active service for 5 months of every day riding and has operated on almost very ride at least once. It strangely sounds a little less noisy now.
I live in London and frequently get cornered in traffic so the cooling system gets properly exercised. A few days ago I changed the coolant to a 5yr lifer but the bike doesn't run noticeably cooler even though the old fluid was very murky.
I feel I was quite hamfisted with the repair so am still keeping fingers crossed...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good deal! I still have a fan that a member sent me that I tried to repair. Unfortunately it worked on and off and seemed to be shorted out on part of the armature. If it stopped and the brushes were at a specific spot it would dead short. On other spots it would start but I belive the current draw was to high as it passed the shorted spot once it was spinning. Yours may be good to go and have no shorts on the armature which seems to be the case on some of the fans. Great job! :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good deal! I still have a fan that a member sent me that I tried to repair. Unfortunately it worked on and off and seemed to be shorted out on part of the armature. If it stopped and the brushes were at a specific spot it would dead short. On other spots it would start but I belive the current draw was to high as it passed the shorted spot once it was spinning. Yours may be good to go and have no shorts on the armature which seems to be the case on some of the fans. Great job! :)

Also refreshing coolant may have other benefits such as keeping boiling point lower as well as lowering freezing point of the coolant.

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
If anyone else has the nuts to do this, I would recommend the use of a magnifier glass and a sharp craft knife. How I got over the problem of the blob of gunk shorting across the fan lines on the armature was to gently drag the knife along the spaces between the copper to clean out the short. There was also a sort of blob of weld causing on the surface which needed scraping off. Once done I polished the surface gently with 1200 grade emery paper (wet'n'dry).

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If anyone else has the nuts to do this, I would recommend the use of a magnifier glass and a sharp craft knife. How I got over the problem of the blob of gunk shorting across the fan lines on the armature was to gently drag the knife along the spaces between the copper to clean out the short. There was also a sort of blob of weld causing on the surface which needed scraping off. Once done I polished the surface gently with 1200 grade emery paper (wet'n'dry).

To tell the truth I was going to try that but got busy and it went on the back burners. I will look at it today and if I can get it going I'll send it back to the member who sent it.

Sent from Moto's Droid using Tapatalk 2