coolant change

bobdigi88

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my 2004 fz6s the other month.
I've no problem with the bike but I would like to change the coolant as I've no idea when it was last done.
It seems pretty straight forward but I'm not very good at anything mechanical.
I was wondering if anyone could give me a heads up on any problems I might run into.
I'm gonna drain the old stuff out, flush it through with cold water and add a new bottle of coolant. Any advise or pointers would be appreciated.
The new coolant is a pre mixed bottle appropriate for use without needing toix with water. But the manual says to use a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water? What should I do? Thanks in advance. Bob.

pantone

peter
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought you knew 90% of the coolant change procedure, only several points I would like to suggest further:

1.Start the engine at idle speed for several minutes w/o closing the cap, wait for air inside come off and top up as needed.

2.After coolant change, run the bike and afterwards check the coolant level of the reservoir, refill as needed to specified height.

3.Most of the coolant bottles have mixture ratio indication on its lable, check it. If the weather of your area is not very cold, I think 30/70 is OK, otherwise, you had better use 50/50.

4.Use coolant suitable for aluminium engine. You can see this on the coolant bottle lable.

5.Use only distilled water or RO treated water, tap water may be OK if the above is not available. However, do not use mineral water.

6.Coolant is very toxic, be careful.

Coolant change is a very easy and straightforward work, good luck.