coolant change = lower temp

MACH3

nudist
Reaction score
Visit site
Just thought i would share this with you all, after changing out the factory coolant for Mobil extended life coolant on a 09 s2 the engine is running at least 10 c cooler.

I did a complete flush out and topped up inc reservoir took about 2 litres,i didnt think it would make such a drastic difference goes to show they could make a extra effort from oem.

Just need time to get my irridium sparks in now ! cheers :rockon:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just thought i would share this with you all, after changing out the factory coolant for Mobil extended life coolant on a 09 s2 the engine is running at least 10 c cooler.

I did a complete flush out and topped up inc reservoir took about 2 litres,i didnt think it would make such a drastic difference goes to show they could make a extra effort from oem.

Thank you for reminding me! I have to do this tomorrow! I already did my Iridiums :p

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site

Your coolant's 3 years old. It was due for a change anyway. Can't blame Yamaha for that.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your supposed to change the coolant??? :BLAA:

I suspect mine has never been changed. I don't think the previous owner gave it any love. One more item on the "To Do" list.

Iron Cross

Reaction score
Visit site
Just had a recent freak out with running temp...never really thought it was running hot, until my buddies bike kept over heating. Then I started thinking mine was....long story short...it was not. Changed coolant anyway :D

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
mine runs about 3 bars....once it hits 4 bars ( in traffic only) the fans cool it back down:thumbup:

but yes, Thanks for the push, I am going to change it thisvweekend:rockon:

MACH3

nudist
Reaction score
Visit site
Dont know why i have overlooked the coolant for so long, do it dude gives you that sense of security in a way !

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm my 07 probably could use it. How often does Yamaha say its needs to be changed? Also, how difficult is it to do on an FZ6? Any good procedures out there, or just use the regular old flushing method?

MACH3

nudist
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm my 07 probably could use it. How often does Yamaha say its needs to be changed? Also, how difficult is it to do on an FZ6? Any good procedures out there, or just use the regular old flushing method?

Yamaha say every 2 years......

Dude im no great mechanic and this was easy for me ! Just use the regular method,and dont forget to top up after a run ! :rockon:

Last edited:

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
I too noticed a few degree drop in my running temp after a coolant change. I did it simply because I had just bought the bike. Wasn't expecting it but it made me feel a lot better about changing it!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha say every 2 years......

Dude im no great mechanic and this was easy for me ! Just use the regular method,and dont forget to top up after a run ! :rockon:

+1 on the above...

There's a small drain bolt in the cover of the water pump, loosen / remove the radiator cap and let her flow... Once empty, replace lower bolt and re-fill. Top off after it COOLS DOWN from a ride..

Also, don't forget to clean and refill your over flow bottle. Crap tends to collect on the bottom of the bottle as well..

When I last changed out mine with Prestone pre-mixed, the bike ran a little bit cooler, the FJR cooled down even more....