COOL! Givi engine guard (doesn't block oil filter)

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site
at the local dealer i saw this fizz and it had this engine guard. at first i thought it's oem but it's givi. too bad it's back ordered until mid june. this is way better than sliders. what ya guys think? i never knew givi makes those. better than oem!

I'll agree it's better protection than sliders but ...........
I don't really like engine guards on a bike like the FZ6, - IMO engine guards belongs on "Paris/Dakar Rally" bikes, - and not on street bikes.
But that's all in the eye of the beholder. If you like it, - go for it!!!

Anyway it would not fit on mine, since I got the lover fairing on as well :)

nice!!! you said the centre stand spring was tricky. what did you mean exactly? :thumbup:

The bars replace the spigot that the centre stand attaches to, coming off is no big deal, just loosen the bolts, but getting it back on.... Well I tried several methods, and its a tough ol' bird. In the end I needed a square bar through the spring plate levered against the stand, which was wedged up with a wooden mallet as far as it would go to shorten the distance the spring had to be stretched.

There probably is an easier way though.... but buggered if I know what it is.

Cool. Looks like they'd protect the bike pretty well.

I've got the SW-Motech guards and I really like them. Easy to mount pegs on them too (and the oil filter can be changed - it's a bit tight with when using a large filter). I bought mine more to mount pegs on them for long rides that for the protection.

Could pegs be mounted to the Givis? It looks like the guards curve in at the front, which would make it a bit tougher to fit them I think. I wonder how cost compares.

The bars replace the spigot that the centre stand attaches to, coming off is no big deal, just loosen the bolts, but getting it back on.... Well I tried several methods, and its a tough ol' bird. In the end I needed a square bar through the spring plate levered against the stand, which was wedged up with a wooden mallet as far as it would go to shorten the distance the spring had to be stretched.

There probably is an easier way though.... but buggered if I know what it is.

You just need a spring tool. When I reinstalled my center stand, I used a spring tool that I had from a drum-brake tool kit. Sort of like these:

K-D Tools 280 - Bendix Drum Brake Spring Tool
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Basically, it's a long shaft with a notched end. You slide the spring over the shaft, put the notched end on the pin that the spring slides onto, and then lift the shaft/lever, sliding the spring up the shaft onto the pin. I too struggled with reinstalling the spring until I remembered that I had such a tool in the cabinet.

D-Mac any chance of a pic of the pegs mounted?

Here are a few old pics. You can see that the pegs are clamp-ons. Twisted Throttle sells the right clamps/pegs (if you search for the SW-Motech engine guard on their website you'll see a note about which pegs to buy - the pegs are also listed under the FZ6 pages). I put a small piece of rubber (from an inner tube) under the clamp to be sure it would hold. It works great!

The oil filter is a longer (3.25") one. It came off without having to remove the pegs.

guard_left.jpg

guard_rt_side.jpg

pegs_from_front.jpg

that's definitly an improvement. I installed the Yamaha engine guards a year ago, and only afterwords saw that now prevents access to the oil filter. Such a pain!! Soon I plan on taking them off for good and replacing them with LSL frame sliders. I wouldnt recommend the yamaha version, but if for some reason anyone wants them from me, I will be taking them off after my next oil change. Let me know I agree with people on this thread, installing the engine guards and lining up the bolts turned out to be quite a tricky job

i'll just let you know that i'm pretty jealous of you. i read this post, saw your highway pegs and went straight to twisted throttle and ordered my highway pegs from the engine guard page. i knew they were going to arrive today so i looked for the box when i got home. after digging around on the twisted throttle site i was able to find a pic of what i ordered. this is what i got.

10293-425x350.jpg

definitely not as cool looking. i have a trip coming up this weekend so i'm going to go ahead and put them on to try them out. but i don't like them as much as i like yours.

Here are a few old pics. You can see that the pegs are clamp-ons. Twisted Throttle sells the right clamps/pegs (if you search for the SW-Motech engine guard on their website you'll see a note about which pegs to buy - the pegs are also listed under the FZ6 pages). I put a small piece of rubber (from an inner tube) under the clamp to be sure it would hold. It works great!

The oil filter is a longer (3.25") one. It came off without having to remove the pegs.

guard_left.jpg

guard_rt_side.jpg

pegs_from_front.jpg

definitely gives the FZ6 a different appearance.......
But I suppose those won't work with bellypans, but then again that's entirely a different look from what you gents are going for.

at the local dealer i saw this fizz and it had this engine guard. at first i thought it's oem but it's givi. too bad it's back ordered until mid june. this is way better than sliders. what ya guys think? i never knew givi makes those. better than oem!

Yes, My one also GIVI Engine guard as your.
It doesn't block oil filter but it block oil drain nut!

I must alway remove engine guard when replace engine oil.

Back