Cold thumbs?

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
Evening all, it's horrible weather here in the UK (about 4 celcius, and wet), and I am getting really cold thumbs when riding. The rest of my hands are fine, just my thumbs. The heated grips help a bit, but not a whole lot.

Anyone else have the same problem? Does the fairing funnel air at them? Or is the slightly uncomfortable shape of the bars cutting circulation? Or should I just man up?

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I experience this too. I don't have heated grips and all my fingers get cold, but especially my thumbs. Probably because your other fingers are right next to each other and less surface area is being exposed. And I'm sure your fingers conduct some heat whereas your thumb has no friends to keep warm with

ccew

Reaction score
Visit site
I recommend hand guards. Cutting that wind would go a long way. Of course coming out of -20C here in Montreal, I'd give my left nut for +4C. Perhaps I already have.

Just an example.

ezy5esa8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Evening all, it's horrible weather here in the UK (about 4 celcius, and wet), and I am getting really cold thumbs when riding. The rest of my hands are fine, just my thumbs. The heated grips help a bit, but not a whole lot.

Anyone else have the same problem? Does the fairing funnel air at them? Or is the slightly uncomfortable shape of the bars cutting circulation? Or should I just man up?

Are you wearing heavy, gauntlet, winter gloves? "Thinsulate" I believe is the latest and greatest (as of now)..

I have non electric gloves similar to these: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Motorcycle-Winter-Zippered-Gauntlet/dp/B004CUXOMA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396094586&sr=8-2&keywords=gauntlet+motorcycle+gloves"]Amazon.com: Mens Leather Motorcycle Winter Gloves w/ Rain Cover In Zippered Gauntlet XL GL2066: Automotive[/ame]

that work pretty well.

With temps your riding in, I'd be investing in some heated gear. It'd be the best $ you ever spent...:thumbup:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I would also recommend proper gloves, i ride with a pair of Richa cold protect, they won a few magazine tests as best all around winter gloves and they are great.

I also wear undergloves made of some weird space suite materiel and with both my hands are nice and warm up to 80mph.

Unless i ride faster than 80mph i can literally ride for hours at just above freezing temperatures without feeling the cold. Once you go past 80 ish you start feeling it after a while, but never enough to make you stop.

Outlast Undergloves | Held Gloves for Winter | GetGeared.co.uk

Richa Gloves Cold Protect GTX Black | Richa Winter Gloves

The richa gloves size pretty small, i am a 9 in Held but need an XXL in richa to be comfy.

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
Of course coming out of -20C here in Montreal, I'd give my left nut for +4C.

Okay, okay, I get the message - man up!

Good point tejkoskit, and I've also noticed my thumbs stick forward, so not much contact area with the grips.

The gloves I have should be plenty warm (linky), and the rest of me is toasty, so I don't really want to go down the heated kit route.

Stupid of me not to have thought of inner gloves, I never snowboard without them, just didn't think.

The handguards look like a good idea, I might get into the workshop and design some discreet little "thumb wind guards" :)

Thanks for the feedback people, spring seems to finally be here, so no cold hands for a bit hopefully