Clutch cables

haylo

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone know if theres a difference between the fz6-n clutch cable and the fz6 faired clutch cable?

My clutch cable broke a few weeks ago, and I replaced it, but it didn't specify whether it was for a fz6n or faired, and the new cable seems a few inches too long. I've had to extend the adjuster fully in the middle of the cable, at the lever end aswell as adjust the pivot on the engine case, and even had to feed a spacer along the clutch cable at the engine end to try and extend it a bit more so that the clutch will atleast engage, and it's still very loose!

My bike is an 05, the cable I bought said it was for a yamaha fz6 04-05. It's very frustrating, any help appreciated!

It might be a cable from the FZ6R. The cable should fit with out all the adjustment you're talking about. Yes you have to adjust those points but it should fit correctly.

Good Wrenching

Is there any way I could have routed it wrong? From the clutch cover, behind the engine block, up and passed the airbox, following the frame to the headstock, through the cable hole in the frame, up into the speedo area, onto the lever. I could have sworn it said fz6 when I ordered it, and when I compared it to the old, broken cable, from what I could see it was the same size. :confused:

Is there any way I could have routed it wrong? From the clutch cover, behind the engine block, up and passed the airbox, following the frame to the headstock, through the cable hole in the frame, up into the speedo area, onto the lever. I could have sworn it said fz6 when I ordered it, and when I compared it to the old, broken cable, from what I could see it was the same size. :confused:

Just a thought: The cable has separate sleeves with the adjuster in the middle. Is it possible to have the cable flipped? In other words, are the two sleeves of different length?

Sorry, I've never done a cable change yet so I can only guess.

No, thats not really possible, as both ends are different, one end only fits the lever, the other end only fits onto the pivot, but it was a good idea, thanks!

Maybe it's because I bought a pattern and they aren't as well made as genuine yamaha cables, therefor they cut it too long? (but then again, they did look identicle in size when I compared them). I've ordered another pattern cable to see if this one will fit, if not I'll just have to bodge it again until I can find the fz6 clutch cable part number and order it from the dealer, so I know for sure it's not a problem with the cable.

No, thats not really possible, as both ends are different, one end only fits the lever, the other end only fits onto the pivot, but it was a good idea, thanks!

Maybe it's because I bought a pattern and they aren't as well made as genuine yamaha cables, therefor they cut it too long? (but then again, they did look identicle in size when I compared them). I've ordered another pattern cable to see if this one will fit, if not I'll just have to bodge it again until I can find the fz6 clutch cable part number and order it from the dealer, so I know for sure it's not a problem with the cable.

If you search this link you should be able to find the correct part.
Ronayers.com Fiche Desktop
PM me and let me know how you made out.

Got the new cable fitted, and it fits perfectly. When we moved the thing on the clutch shaft coming from the engine case, it's caused the biting point of the clutch to be very far out, so it needs some adjustment, but it's about 3degrees C and very wet, so I think i'll leave that for another day. Atleast it's working now. Thanks for your help. :thumbup:

Back