Clutch Cable install Help

raduph

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey,

My new cluthc cable has finally arrived after a 2 week wait... and I'm having difficulty installing it.

I'm not sure I remember the correct path for it. I'll try to sketch on picture of the bike where the cable is, I dont' have any photos of my actual bike handy.

View attachment 48888

The path I found was, loosen the white nut and align it so the cable can snap in at the clutch lever, then down to the right on the side of the dashboard, under the headlights then enter on the left side on the frame, past the battery and airbox and down to the clutch.

Im getting slack on the lever and tension on at the clutch... and I dont get what I'm doing wrong, I checked the cable, it's brand new and has lube on it.

Could it be for another make/model? It looks exactly as the old one, metal bend and adjusting nut included. I can't compare to the old one in exact length as i dont have the complete cable, the bit that snapped was maybe 2 inches comming from lever and I lost it.

I hope it makes sense when reading it, my english is not the best around.

THanks

Edit:

I took a look in the service manual, thank you to TownsendsFJR1300 for sending me this in the first place, and found a cable routing diagram.
This is where it gets confusing again...

View attachment 48889

As you can see, the clutch cable has one of those 90 degree bends in this diagram, and I dont' have this, neither on the new cable or on the old one. According to the diagram it goes right behind the ignition and down into the left frame hole...

I'm really confused now :confused:

Later edit:

What I dont' remember of my original cable routing is where exactly it was positioned behind the headlights as there's more than 1 ways to put it there, but I'm positive it went behind the dashboard to the right side, under the headlights and then into the left frame hole.
I hope it's enough info, I'll try to add some pictures of my bike and maybe I can solve it here without having to go to a dealer as I don't have any means of moving it there. Sorry for the wall of text.

Last edited:

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
I also ordered a clutch cable and I have it at home still in packaging. I will take a picture so you can compare.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My 07 cable comes off the lever, then just to the left of the ignition switch. From there, just inside the left fork leg and into the frame. It then would proceed down (as you noted) on the LEFT INNER SIDE of the frame (where theres a keeper). It'll then come across just above the rear of the block to the lower bracket.

There is of course a mid section adjuster than can be adjusted OUTWARD to make the outer cable longer, thus tightening up the overall play.

Question, is the part you bought a GENUINE YAMAHA CABLE or a knock off. If it is a knock off, IMHO, I'd return it or junk it and get a genuine Yamaha cable

I have seen, on the forum, NON US bikes (here on the forum) with a clutch cable that literally runs right in front of the ignition switch (which I questioned and was obviously wrong). Wether it had a bend or not, I doubt it.

If you can get a US version cable(this is for an 2007, part #1):

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/sear.../FZ6+-+FZS6W/STEERING+HANDLE+CABLE/parts.html

It has the curve in the lever end and goes on as I noted above.

Last edited:

raduph

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the answers. I figured it out eventually. The cable was a knock-off, I compared the cable case (outer layer thing) to my original and it is clearly a cheap imitation. I was able to bend that metal part for the engine block heat protection by hand and almost broke it.

To be able to use my bike until the OEM part ships (I'm hoping to place an order on monday and it takes roughly 10 days from Yama dealership) I went and bought a Kawasaki cable, it comes in one piece and the adjuster is near the clutch end and uses a nut. (on a side note, I don't get why Yamaha went with such a complicated and stupid design for the clutch cable and it's placement).

I then proceeded (well, a friend of mine did most of the work) to fabricate an extender from leftover casings of the original cable. It doesn't look pretty, but it does the job flawlessly. It is better built and thicker than the knock off Yamaha. No clutch slip or gear grinding when shifting, works better than my original cable. Only needs to last me a week or so and it's done it's part.

I guess FZ6 are not so common around here and parts for them are harder to find, the local moto supplies guy had a ton of cables on stock (knock offs and otherwise) EXCEPT for this model...

I will add pictures if you guys are interested in my solution.

Have a great weekend.

raduph

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. You probably have the FZ S version. The N does not have that 90 degrees bend at the lever. I will post my improvisation tomorrow, just got back from town and am hammered right now.

Have a great weekend.