Clicking feeling under left foot

fz6ns2rick

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
i have a 2008 fz6n s2 and its from a reputable dealer, third person to own it and its been good for the couple of months ive had it, then it started to go a bit funny, not sure if it was like that to start with and because im new to this i just didnt see the signs.

i have an issue and i havent a clue as to what to do to find out the true cause, here is the basics of the trouble.

when riding at any speed on the bite of the throttle , not clutch , the throttle as in when your cruising along and its bouncing gently on the power to keep it going without using the throttle anymore, i get a random clicking ticky tap under my left foot, its not a click as in the sound , just the feeling under my foot, if i sit at traffic lights it doesnt happen its only on the move, also its starting to whine a little , not something that goes when the clutch is pulled in. it gets worse the faster i go and goes up in pitch also.

is the feeling a direct link to the noise , as in is this a shot gearing or is it just knackered chain and sprockets and possibly the bearing behind the front sprocket.

any ideas are greatly recieved and i will bow to the greater knowledge that this place is full of . i have read loads of threads but havent seen an answer , if i have written something that has been dealt with already and missed it i apologise in advance.

cheers .

How many miles on the chain? Do you know how well the chain was maintained?

Have you lubed the chain in the months you've owned it?

Check and see if you can pull the chain away from the rear sprocket at all? It should be tight to the sprocket and if pulling the chain away from the sprocket shows the chain to tighten, it and the sprockets are worn...

Clean and lube your chain and while its on the center stand (or rear wheel raised) look for any kinking in the chain (and if the links don't straighten out on their own)

Check your chain tension, it shouldn't be tighter than 1.75" total, at its tightest point gently pushing it up and down...

And yes, if the chain is worn/too tight, it'll whine and you will feel it.

I know the original owner to my bike, I got it with about 4,500 miles on it (kids first bike). The chain had been lubed maybeonce in that time frame and subsequently wore out very early at 12,000 miles, the damage was done to the chain before I got it.

Last edited:
hi,

thanks for the speedy response,

the paperwork i got with the bike included a bill for work done ,

in 2010 june , it had a new oring did chain and new front and rear sprockets .
since i have had it i have regularly cleaned and lubed the chain with the correct lube and havent used anything harsh to clean it. the whining noise has only really come on since checking chain tightness and adjusting the wheel alignment was right with string like i was told. i have noticed that the front sprocket has slight wear on it , as in you can see the shape the chain is on the front sprocket , im guessing now that thats pretty worn . i havent ragged the bike at all and thought that it would have lasted longer than that. i have only owned the bike since beginning of may, the bike has only done 8000 miles since the chain was fitted by the same garage that sold it to me .

i am more than willing to chuck money at the problem till its fixed as i love this bike so much i dont want it suffering lol.
could the random clicking under my left foot be something as simple as changing the front sprocket ?

other than that i will just keep changing things that other people suggest until it goes away and becomes my bike again.

:confused:

hi,

thanks for the speedy response,

the paperwork i got with the bike included a bill for work done ,

in 2010 june , it had a new oring did chain and new front and rear sprockets .
since i have had it i have regularly cleaned and lubed the chain with the correct lube and havent used anything harsh to clean it. the whining noise has only really come on since checking chain tightness and adjusting the wheel alignment was right with string like i was told. i have noticed that the front sprocket has slight wear on it , as in you can see the shape the chain is on the front sprocket , im guessing now that thats pretty worn . i havent ragged the bike at all and thought that it would have lasted longer than that. i have only owned the bike since beginning of may, the bike has only done 8000 miles since the chain was fitted by the same garage that sold it to me .

i am more than willing to chuck money at the problem till its fixed as i love this bike so much i dont want it suffering lol.
could the random clicking under my left foot be something as simple as changing the front sprocket ?

other than that i will just keep changing things that other people suggest until it goes away and becomes my bike again.

:confused:

If the front srocket has obvious wear, it'll wear the chain alot faster and I know it will click and you'll feel it (mine was the same, worn chain and sprockets, especially the front).

Your not throwing money away if that part is definitly worn. Just replacing that front sprocket will make a difference...

Did you pull the chain from the rear sprocket and get any play? It should stay much on the sprocket.

How much play (up and down) do have in the chain at the taughtest point? Inches please..

hi ,

i havent done that as a check but i have pulled the chain off the rear sprocket slightly for cleaning the rollers to save me having to get up and roll the bike , (which i eventually had to do to do a proper job),

i have to be honest i really had to pull on it to get any free movement to allow the rollers in the chain to rotate.
the chain has about 45mm play which is what i thought was about right but im probably wrong.

i am going to heed the advice and get a new front sprocket on it , if it improves it 10 fold then i will get a new rear and chain too to even it up .
would it be worth changing anything else while im at it , so its top notch and lasts? willing to spend as long as its worth it.

45-55 mm is what you want in chain tension AT THE TAUGHTEST POINT. If it tightens and loosens (goes up and down) as you rotate the wheel, it indicates the chain has some wear/worn...

Last edited:
hi,

im struggling to work with it properly, i think i need to invest in a proper maintenance stand before i do anything , just been trying with what i have and that is bare minimum. im going to invest in stand and front sprocket , give it the proper check and then work from there.

thanks for the advice and when i find the answer i will be sure to get it on here for others to read.

thanks again.

hi again all,

right i spent a little money on gear and parts , i have fitted a new chain and sprocket kit on her and now the clicking under my foot has dissapeared totally, it seems that the sprocket was damaged quite a lot , it had worn on one side and had the actual shape of the chain on one side of the front sprocket. also the chain had been damaged from the last person not fitting it right i guess as the ring to keep in lube on the split link had dissapeared and the entire link was squished together more on one side than the other, im presuming this was the cause of the clicking . so problem solved , apart from another problem now. it seems fitting new parts and lubing things ,cleaning things and generally looking after it has not done it any good, i have made sure the chain is adjusted and lined up properly as to manufacturers advice but i now have a constant whine , it does not come and go as the clutch is used and it doesnt change pitch dependant on gear selected, the only thing it does is goes up in pitch when i go faster and down in pitch as i slow down. it is very annoying and quite loud. can someone tell me if this is the gearbox on its way out now as it seems to select gears and rides ok , at a loss. please help .

thanks in advance AGAIN :banghead::banghead:

hi again all,

right i spent a little money on gear and parts , i have fitted a new chain and sprocket kit on her and now the clicking under my foot has dissapeared totally, it seems that the sprocket was damaged quite a lot , it had worn on one side and had the actual shape of the chain on one side of the front sprocket. also the chain had been damaged from the last person not fitting it right i guess as the ring to keep in lube on the split link had dissapeared and the entire link was squished together more on one side than the other, im presuming this was the cause of the clicking . so problem solved , apart from another problem now. it seems fitting new parts and lubing things ,cleaning things and generally looking after it has not done it any good, i have made sure the chain is adjusted and lined up properly as to manufacturers advice but i now have a constant whine , it does not come and go as the clutch is used and it doesnt change pitch dependant on gear selected, the only thing it does is goes up in pitch when i go faster and down in pitch as i slow down. it is very annoying and quite loud. can someone tell me if this is the gearbox on its way out now as it seems to select gears and rides ok , at a loss. please help .

thanks in advance AGAIN :banghead::banghead:

The new chain will whine a little bit when breaking in so that's probably it. Just make sure its NOT TOO TIGHT, again, no less than 1.75" at the taughtest point, total up and down. The gearbox tends to be clunky but generally bullet proof, I seriously doubt its related... If its due for an oil change, it wouldn't hurt....

Last edited:
hi,

cheers for the reply ,
it started before the chain and sprocket change but it was a lot quieter back then , it seems it got louder since the change. the chain has been checked for the tightness by myself 3 times now so i went and seen my uncle who checked it also (outsiders perspective) and he totalled it to the same as me so i really dont know what to say , the noise is the same type before and after chain change ,just louder and im worried that theres something going to give. when changing from first to second i get the recognizable clunk but if i coast and rev the throttle its like the gear box catches up with itself and clunks , this is while in second and clutch in , i can do it several times and it does it every time , like something is loose or there is play in the clutch , could it be the clutch springs clunking and the whur is a dry box or something .

really dont want to have to put it in the shop as its starting to cost me now . i love this bike loads and dont want to start rezenting the thing and certainly dont want to be throwing good money after bad again like i have with other things.

maybe i should jusst ask another rider to give it a go and see what they think.

oh and had an oil change a month ago , all levels ok and used motul 5100 ester as suggested on this site somewhere.

cheers in advance , sorry if its to vague to be able to suss an answer.:confused:

Last edited:
If the chain is at proper tightness, I'd check the rear wheel bearings and the bearing inside the rear sprocket hub for loosness/smoothness.

Its possible if the previous owner/shop overtightened the chain it may have damaged the ft sprocket output bearing. You can pull the front cover off (3 allan head bolts, you can manueaver around the shifter linkage). Gently try to raise the front sprocket up and down (with a large screwdriver/etc for leverage) for ANY PLAY. There SHOULD NOT be any.

Will it make noise on the center stand or with the wheel raised up and in gear? if so, if you can post a video of the noise?

As stated earlier, replacement of that output bearing is rare. Since 2009, I've never read of one failing on this forum.. An occasional shifting problem from the transmission, but otherwise, pretty tough..

dont have a centre stand but i cant get it off the rear to try that , i will have another go tonight and see if i can pin point the exact place of noise output.

if it is the output bearing , how costly or difficult is it to replace , im always willing to go at it myself as i have a haynes and small amoutn of tools, bucket loads of enthusiasm as ive already said i love this bike and dont want to feel ive bought a lemon.
dont mind throwing money at something that works :thumbup:

dont have a centre stand but i cant get it off the rear to try that , i will have another go tonight and see if i can pin point the exact place of noise output.

if it is the output bearing , how costly or difficult is it to replace , im always willing to go at it myself as i have a haynes and small amoutn of tools, bucket loads of enthusiasm as ive already said i love this bike and dont want to feel ive bought a lemon.
dont mind throwing money at something that works :thumbup:

Page 5-80 in the Yamaha shop manual shows the bearing held in the block with a clip type retainer. It doesn't just pull out from under the sprocket..

To remove the clip/bearing, you have to split cases, a major job......

With the rear wheel off the ground, engine off, you may try putting a large screwdriver (stethescope is even better), handle to your ear, working end on the area of the output bearing/block.

Slowly turn the wheel and listen closely to the area of the output bearing for any grinding/knocking/clicking, etc...

You can do the same with the rear wheel hub (there's a bearing in there that occasionally goes out, rear sprocket may start to wobble slightly too)

ok well sounds like if it is gone then i either prove my love for her and get her split and fixed , or i px in for something else , i really hope it doesnt come down to that though.

i will get it up off the ground and do as you suggested and let you knpow the results.
hopefully all will be well and i can keep her.

cheers loads for the advice and thanks for humoring me as im not that clued up.
:rockon:

hi all ,

right i have been out on it all last night after stripping down the back end after work, chuck it back together , went through it all with a fine tooth comb , greased , lubed , torqued , aligned and after an hour of riding it was still there . this morning , early start to work , 6am nice and quiet , just pootled to work and half way there , IT STOPPED.

the only thing i can hear now is the slight whine of the clutch that was there at the start , depress the clutch lever and it goes and comes back when released but is just like a clutch release bearing on a car when its wearing little. (if someone knows how to get rid of that by the way it would make my bike perfect).

so i am totally at a loss, it literally stopped in an instant. possible a blockage on a bearing and now its shifted and is lubing again maybe? i dont know but im a damn sight happier.

i just want to say thanks again for the advice , although we havent pin pointed anything wrong it has certainly helped me know a bit more and understand the background to some problems.

again if anyone knows how to get rid of the little whine of the clutch that would be great , but im happy with my girl again.

thanks loads .:cheer:

Sounds like some of your lube worked its way into a dry bearing... :)

Page 5-48 in the Yamaha manual shows the release bearing located inside the clutch pressure plate.

There's also a needle bearing supporting the main clutch, outer housing.

Last edited:
This has been a really interesting read, as usual Scot has jumped in with help and advice. I was wondering about one thing though?
Have you still got the original sprocket?
You said that is shows wear on it. If the wear is uniform on one side, Would this not be an alignment issue?
It took me several go's to get the string method correct and from experience I know that misalignment causes strange noises with the chain.
Just throwing it out there as it's also very odd that the issue has resolved itself whilst riding.
Either way I am glad its fixed.

Neil

Back