cheapy ebay bar end mirrors

MasterAtArms

Reaction score
Visit site
Can anyone give me any guidance on installing bar end mirrors with this type of hardware. Appears to be an expanding clamp

MasterAtArms

Reaction score
Visit site
SORRY!

404798024_o.jpg

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
Those inserts won't work with the stock threaded bar. But I think you can remove the inserts and have the mirrors clamp onto the inside of the bar ends. You may have to move the grips inward a bit. This is my guess. I have also seen different bar ends that are made to thread in with a groove for the mirrors, but can't remember the name.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Those inserts won't work with the stock threaded bar. But I think you can remove the inserts and have the mirrors clamp onto the inside of the bar ends. You may have to move the grips inward a bit. This is my guess. I have also seen different bar ends that are made to thread in with a groove for the mirrors, but can't remember the name.

That is exactly how I had those mounted on mine (move grips inward and clamp the mirrors right onto bar ends). Very solid.. no issues.

Massoodk

Reaction score
Visit site

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same mirrors mounted on the stock bar ends just like edgeofnj's bike. I broke my first set trying to keep them from moving around by tightening more, so I'd suggest putting a dab of loctite on the inside of the clamp jaws for the bar and mirror to make it stick a little better without tightening too much.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same mirrors mounted on the stock bar ends just like edgeofnj's bike. I broke my first set trying to keep them from moving around by tightening more, so I'd suggest putting a dab of loctite on the inside of the clamp jaws for the bar and mirror to make it stick a little better without tightening too much.

Weird.. had them on mine for 2 seasons and they never moved :don'tknow:
I did have locktite on bolts.

rutty99

Reaction score
Visit site

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but what does it mean when people say they are "clamping" the mirror to the bar end? What are you using to clamp it down?

The reason I ask is that I just purchased a set of these and am running into the same mounting problem:

Black CNC Bar End Mirrors FZ6 FZ1 FZ8 N Fazer 8 1000 600 FZ6S 05 06 07 08 09 10 | eBay

Slide the grips inward and you'll see the hidden part of the bar end is the same diameter as the handlebar (22 mil). No need to use any of the hardware .. the mirrors will clamp directly to the small diameter part of the bar ends.

rutty99

Reaction score
Visit site
Slide the grips inward and you'll see the hidden part of the bar end is the same diameter as the handlebar (22 mil). No need to use any of the hardware .. the mirrors will clamp directly to the small diameter part of the bar ends.

Thanks for the pic! Looks like your mirrors are a little different than mine. Mine don't have the clamp, they have an actual endcap on them (take a look at the link I pasted int). Looks like I'm SOL :(

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the pic! Looks like your mirrors are a little different than mine. Mine don't have the clamp, they have an actual endcap on them (take a look at the link I pasted int). Looks like I'm SOL :(

Ah yes.. those won't work without modifications to the handlebar. It is possible to drill / pull the threaded inserts out of the bar. You can then use the expanding hardware included.

rutty99

Reaction score
Visit site

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Seems like it would be easier to just get a refund and buy some mirrors like yours instead. Don't like to make modifications like that if I don't have to.

Are these the same ones you have?

Yamaha R6 FZ6 YZFR6 R6S FZ1 YZF R1 Silver 3 CNC 7 8 Pair Bar End Mirrors Black | eBay

Yup, those are exactly the same. If you don't mind spending a bit more, you can get ones just like those, but with a folding feature.

Folding Hindsight Lane Split Barend Retractable Bar End Mirrors Aftermarket | eBay

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And it's worth mentioning that if you choose to go with the "move grips inboard" approach, it'll affect the handling a bit (like going with a narrower handlebar) and you'll have to grind off a small plastic tab on throttle side control, because the hole in the handlebar will no longer align. Drilling new hole in the bar is another alternative.

Nothing is ever simple, is it?

Last edited:

rutty99

Reaction score
Visit site
And it's worth mentioning that if you choose to go with the "move grips inboard" approach, it'll affect the handling a bit (like going with a narrower handlebar) and you'll have to grind off a small plastic tab on throttle side control, because the hole in the handlebar will no longer align. Drilling new hole in the bar is another alternative.

Nothing is ever simple, is it?

UPDATE: The mirrors finally arrived and I installed them a couple of days ago. Being the lazy bastard that I am, I found a way to affix the mirror to the bar-end weight without pulling back the grip or cutting anything.

Disclaimer: I am not saying that this is *right* or *safe* way to do attach these mirrors, because it clearly isn't. Do so at your own risk.

On the throttle side I attached the mirror to the skinny part of bar-end, applied some loctite to the threaded portion of the bar end and then simply screwed the bar-end back in, but only partially. I left a small gap between the mirror clamp and the grip ensuring that the grip can move independently of the clamp, and I am relying on the loctite to hold bar-end in place.

On the clutch side I attached the clamp to the bar-end and just screwed it in until there was enough friction between the bar-end, clamp and grip so as to hold everything in place.

If this sounds kludgy, that it is because it is. But it works. Over the last 100 miles or so i have had NO problems with vibration or movement of the mirrors even when travelling up to 90 mph.