Cheapest Possible Way to go Naked?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know, Wolfman. I did my Buell conversion for about $185 (headlight, Buell mini-windscreen, and mount...didn't include the bar-end mirrors). But as far as light output goes, IMO the Buell headlight puts out MORE light than the stock FZ6 headlights and has a MUCH better beam pattern.

I can tell you this. When we go to Deal's Gap, we always do a few night runs. With the fairing and stock headlights, I was terrified. Every time I'd lean into a corner, looking through it did me no good because the headlights were aiming right into the asphalt (high beams on). With the Buell headlight on my last trip and also on a night run, I could see all the way through the corner. The light pattern is so much wider and more scattered and because the headlight seems to put out more light, it just does a better job of lighting your way.

:thumbup:

Similar experience here. I spent under $300 on my conversion and light output is better than stock :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know, Wolfman. I did my Buell conversion for about $185 (headlight, Buell mini-windscreen, and mount...didn't include the bar-end mirrors). But as far as light output goes, IMO the Buell headlight puts out MORE light than the stock FZ6 headlights and has a MUCH better beam pattern.

I can tell you this. When we go to Deal's Gap, we always do a few night runs. With the fairing and stock headlights, I was terrified. Every time I'd lean into a corner, looking through it did me no good because the headlights were aiming right into the asphalt (high beams on). With the Buell headlight on my last trip and also on a night run, I could see all the way through the corner. The light pattern is so much wider and more scattered and because the headlight seems to put out more light, it just does a better job of lighting your way.

Similar experience here. I spent under $300 on my conversion and light output is better than stock :D

Ok, i forgot! I am in Australia, where we pay through the A for everything!!!

$300 is bloody good!

Dont ask what i have spent! But i do insist on modifying my mods!!! :eek:

BePrepared

Reaction score
Visit site
okay, LOTS of good info. Now, is this a project that i can do on my own (no garage to work in, only basic tools, but pretty good with em) or is it something that i'd be better off having a custom shop do?

i want my bike to LOOK like it came from the factory that way, not like it's a slap together job

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
okay, LOTS of good info. Now, is this a project that i can do on my own (no garage to work in, only basic tools, but pretty good with em) or is it something that i'd be better off having a custom shop do?

i want my bike to LOOK like it came from the factory that way, not like it's a slap together job

It really doesn't require anything, but basic tools, but there is a chance you won't finish it in one day.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
With the fairing and stock headlights, I was terrified. Every time I'd lean into a corner, looking through it did me no good because the headlights were aiming right into the asphalt (high beams on). With the Buell headlight on my last trip and also on a night run, I could see all the way through the corner. The light pattern is so much wider and more scattered and because the headlight seems to put out more light, it just does a better job of lighting your way.

Same deal with the stock naked headlight IMO:rockon:. Naked for night twisties:D.

racing_fan

Not so Junior Member
Reaction score
picasaweb.google.com
Dont know about cheapest way but this here is the quickest way...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5xws0CNG4g]YouTube - That Was Unexpected #2 - quick strip[/ame]

Sorry couldn't help myself.... :D

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
It really doesn't require anything, but basic tools, but there is a chance you won't finish it in one day.

I'm nowhere NEAR mechanically or electrically inclined and it took me one weekend to completely convert mine. Once I got over the fear of cutting the stock plugs (on the headlight end) off and splicing wires, it was easy. If I got frustrated by something, I'd stop, go get a drink (or two), take a few deep breaths and all was right with the world again.

You just want to have a good game plan going in and not do things willy-nilly. Have a good assortment of tools at your disposal and kinda map out how you're gonna connect things (if it needs to be spliced and doesn't just plug-and-play). I did a LOT of reading and asking questions through PM (I'm sure Wavex and others got tired of hearing from me...lol), but in the end, it was all worth it.

Before I converted mine last February, I never got comments on the bike. It just blended in with every other sport bike out there. But, since converting, I've had so many people come up to me and say "what IS that???" They want to talk about it, ask about it, know how hard it was to convert. To me, it's still not finished...I think there will always be little tweaks that I want to do...but it looks great and rides even better, so I'm completely happy with it.

I really don't believe anyone would be dissatisfied if they did a conversion and did it well (didn't cut corners and the like). It really does make this bike even more pleasurable to ride!

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been tempted by the FZ16 kit but am holding off a bit, at least for Winter. The only thing I was unsure about was the mounting of the gauge cluster. This kit does not provide a way to do that and home-made brackets can make for a crappy look.

Also, I want to test ride the, new to the US market, Honda CB1000R. I have been interested in that bike for a while and now Honda are bringing it here for 2011. If it does not wow me I may turn my attention back to the naked mod.

Tim

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been tempted by the FZ16 kit but am holding off a bit, at least for Winter. The only thing I was unsure about was the mounting of the gauge cluster. This kit does not provide a way to do that and home-made brackets can make for a crappy look.

Also, I want to test ride the, new to the US market, Honda CB1000R. I have been interested in that bike for a while and now Honda are bringing it here for 2011. If it does not wow me I may turn my attention back to the naked mod.

Tim

Totally agree with you about the bracket! It's a shame there's no good aftermarket bolt-on. I'm pretty happy with the one I made and it looks quite good, but it's not something you'd see on a production bike.

CB1000R... very tight! Thought I actually like the new Ninja 1000 better, strictly looks-wise.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
Totally agree with you about the bracket! It's a shame there's no good aftermarket bolt-on. I'm pretty happy with the one I made and it looks quite good, but it's not something you'd see on a production bike.

CB1000R... very tight! Thought I actually like the new Ninja 1000 better, strictly looks-wise.

But it's still got those horrendous K1000 mufflers on each side! At least they painted them black this time. Also, I don't really want all that plastic wrapped around the engine. Sounds like a nice ride and certainly not as ugly as the K1000. I'm amazed at how few good looking bikes there are these days.

Tim

dev_usc

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Tim

My bad guys.... I should have updated everyone... After working with over 20 awesome forum members and all the constructive feedbacks I have made a couple of changes to the kit... one of them is a speedo mounting plate.. I have designed and fabricated a custom plate for mounting any speedo from 2004-2009. This plate is now part of the kit and the kit is now a true plug and play.... a heartily thanks to everyone for their support....

jikr2u.jpg
wu2ngn.jpg
n688rt.jpg

15nt6d0.jpg
28upi87.jpg
THESE IMAGES ARE JUST TO SHOW THERE IS PLENTY OF SPACE FOR BOTH TYPE OF SPEEDO. I DONT HAVE PICS WITH CUSTOM PLATE INSTALLED SPEEDO.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My bad guys.... I should have updated everyone... After working with over 20 awesome forum members and all the constructive feedbacks I have made a couple of changes to the kit... one of them is a speedo mounting plate.. I have designed and fabricated a custom plate for mounting any speedo from 2004-2009. This plate is now part of the kit and the kit is now a true plug and play

That is awesome!!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
But it's still got those horrendous K1000 mufflers on each side! At least they painted them black this time. Also, I don't really want all that plastic wrapped around the engine. Sounds like a nice ride and certainly not as ugly as the K1000. I'm amazed at how few good looking bikes there are these days.

Tim

Agree about mufflers, but I'm not a huge fan of the muffler on CB either. I'd just calculate the cost of the aftermarket pipes into bike upgrade :D
The plastics look pretty good to me though.
Do they weight about the same? If CB was much lighter, that would certainly swing my vote in its favor.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
Agree about mufflers, but I'm not a huge fan of the muffler on CB either. I'd just calculate the cost of the aftermarket pipes into bike upgrade :D
The plastics look pretty good to me though.
Do they weight about the same? If CB was much lighter, that would certainly swing my vote in its favor.

I think the weight is pretty much identical. I don't love the CB1000R's exhaust either but it's way better, IMO, than the Z1000 or FZ1.

Anyway, I hope to get a test ride in the near future. I also want to try the Street Triple again. My first ride did not wow me and I still wonder about Triumph's reliability. As that is my first consideration on any motor vehicle I tend to lean towards Yamaha and Honda. Until this year Honda offered nothing worth while in the US, along the standard line anyway.

Tim

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the weight is pretty much identical. I don't love the CB1000R's exhaust either but it's way better, IMO, than the Z1000 or FZ1.

Anyway, I hope to get a test ride in the near future. I also want to try the Street Triple again. My first ride did not wow me and I still wonder about Triumph's reliability. As that is my first consideration on any motor vehicle I tend to lean towards Yamaha and Honda. Until this year Honda offered nothing worth while in the US, along the standard line anyway.

Tim

Tim

Pipes are easy enough to swap and completely transform the look of Z-bike ( I'd hit this one! )

SC-Project-exhaust-for-Kawasaki-Z1000_5-587x440.jpg

Never rode Street Triple (only the Speed Triple) and I'm with you.. questionable reliability is a big turn-off.

P.S. - sorry for hijacking this thread :D

Last edited:

Dr.Landau

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought 2 of these, as they were called when I bought it, alien headlights. I think theyre pro-moed to Harley riders, it was $90 2 years ago. Its got 2 BRIGHT halogens which can be wired the same as the stock setup or modded to run both lights at the same time.

I love asthetics, but the $300 for the conversion is absurd, and I dont wanna look like ANYONE else out there. I agree as it stands right now it leaves a lot to be desired, but and I quote"The mod will be modded".

Cheapest possible way to naked?