Cheap gear indicator...

leetaylor742

Reaction score
Visit site
I was browsing this afternoon while I was meant to be working and I came across this cheap gear indicator £4.48 shipped from Hong Kong - I wouldnt have minded a gear indicator but not enough to pay £60 for so this has got to be worth a go!! I'll keep you posted once it arrives and let you know how well it works

It doesnt have a flash case but i'll be able to put it somewhere unobtrusive hopefully so that wont really matter.

Digital Gear Speed Indicator for Motorbikes | Virtual Village - UK

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It says Digital Gear Speed Indicator! Is that in fact a Gear Indicator? :confused:

FrankieOC82

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice find!! I've been thinking about looking in to one, but didn't want to spend too much either.

Here's a thought though: Anyone else check out the last pic with the wire legend? Looks like it only goes up to 5 gears............. and we have six............. or am I missing something. would that be a problem?

maybe it's just off at 6 (no active lead) and know that's what it means, maybe? hmmm.......

let us know how it works out! I'd still be interested if it works!:BLAA:

FrankieOC82

Reaction score
Visit site
OH :thumbup:

That makes much more sense then! So I guess you then program or train it to your particular speed/revs/gear pattern? Gotcha! I guess the way they numbered the wire diagram in the last picture confused the hell outta me (esp the "0").
Thanks for clearing that up for me!!!:D

FrankieOC82

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I was really interested in finding out if this one would work for our bikes since the price is crazy low and I REALLY want one! So I started researching to try to find install instructions.

I googled the sku from the website to see what I could find. I found a dew threads from a buell forum and a zx-9r forum where they showed interest and bought one, but since they couldn't find instructions and the seller pretty much dodged their requests for some, they never followed through with figuring i out.

BUT, then I found this one:
Indicador De Marcha Engranada - Club Kawasaki ER-6 y Versys

It's in spanish, so i don't know how helpful it'll be to most of you, but I'll give you the Cliffnotes version.

These guys ordered a few of them and actually tried to figure it out. They found that connecting the red to +12 and each of the rest to negative, the display simply COUNTED 1,2,3,4,5 depending on which wire they used.

They said that it looks like this display relies on a system that will already calculate the correct gear and feed the signal to the corresponding lead. Two or three guys from this forum confirmed it. So to make a long story longer, they said it wouldn't work on most bikes. Which would explain the crazy low price since there's no chip or module for calculating inputs from tach and speedo.

DAMN! I really hope I'm wrong, because I would be all over this.

Sorry for the crazy long post, but just wanted to share what I found.

Let us know if I'm completely wrong and i actually does work, though!

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, that is designed for bikes that essentially already have gear indicators that essentially position switches in the transmission. My Suzuki GS is like that. That is simply a single digit LCD probably wired to illuminate the right bars dependent on which circuit is grounded. You need something with a microcontroller that will equate revs with wheel speed on a bike like the FZ6 and I guarantee you will never find something that cheap that will do it.

leetaylor742

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats a shame! reading it again it does say it replaces existing display! oh well looks like i've only wasted a few quid at least!

Lee

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I was really interested in finding out if this one would work for our bikes since the price is crazy low and I REALLY want one! So I started researching to try to find install instructions.

I googled the sku from the website to see what I could find. I found a dew threads from a buell forum and a zx-9r forum where they showed interest and bought one, but since they couldn't find instructions and the seller pretty much dodged their requests for some, they never followed through with figuring i out.

BUT, then I found this one:
Indicador De Marcha Engranada - Club Kawasaki ER-6 y Versys

It's in spanish, so i don't know how helpful it'll be to most of you, but I'll give you the Cliffnotes version.

These guys ordered a few of them and actually tried to figure it out. They found that connecting the red to +12 and each of the rest to negative, the display simply COUNTED 1,2,3,4,5 depending on which wire they used.

They said that it looks like this display relies on a system that will already calculate the correct gear and feed the signal to the corresponding lead. Two or three guys from this forum confirmed it. So to make a long story longer, they said it wouldn't work on most bikes. Which would explain the crazy low price since there's no chip or module for calculating inputs from tach and speedo.

DAMN! I really hope I'm wrong, because I would be all over this.

Sorry for the crazy long post, but just wanted to share what I found.

Let us know if I'm completely wrong and i actually does work, though!

What made me wonder in the first place was the pin out /color coding and nothing to reference to other than 0,1,2,3,4,5

The ad is conflicting in these two sentences....

"Stop guessing what gear you're in with this easy to install electronic gear indicator which replaces the existing display on your bike.

As long as your motorbike has an electronic speedometer and an electronic tachometer [rev counter] you'll always know which gear your bike is in with a single glance. "

Also there are some other manufacturers with Gear indicators and they even have an ATRE (Auto Timing Retard Eliminator) type for other bikes (Suzuki/ Kawasaki/ Yama R1, R6 etc. included in the circuit.
Cal-Sportbike Distribution ::: GIPRO X-Type by HealTech Electronics

FrankieOC82

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, sorry to be the bearer of the bad news........ I was actually getting pretty excited about it, too, even thinking of where I was going to mount it! Oh well. Thanks for posting the find, though. You never know when a great find is right around the corner unless you try!