changed oil and spark plugs and...

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
i recently changed to Rotella synthetic, changed the spark plugs at ~8000 miles, and upped the idle back to ~1300 (from ~1000, i think the idle screw vibrates loose a little)...the bike then sat for a week or so (due to bad weather)..now that im riding again, it seems the bike is less responsive than before.

additionally, the mpgs went down a couple clicks, but i attribute that to the colder weather, so i dont think thats an issue.

the old spark plugs looked great, but i went ahead and replaced them with the new ones i bought. i did check the gap on the new ones before i installed them and they appeared to be gapped properly. no misfire, no backfire, otherwise runs fine.

any ideas? possibly needs a throttle body sync?

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I would suggest a TB sync - especially if you haven't done one before.

A couple of us checked ours at 4000 miles and neither bike needed any adjustment. By 8000, I suspect it's time.

Good work checking the gap too. I've seen the odd plug waaaaay out of specs from the store. Doesn't happen often, but you don't want to have to dig around in there again!

Fixzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I've recently changed the oil in my 2005 FZ6 and it has close to 8000 miles on it. I want to change the plugs but I'm not sure how to or what brand of plugs to purchase. I bought the bike used a couple of months ago and want to make sure that I am doing what needs to be done keep the bike in top running condition. what do you suggest ?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've recently changed the oil in my 2005 FZ6 and it has close to 8000 miles on it. I want to change the plugs but I'm not sure how to or what brand of plugs to purchase. I bought the bike used a couple of months ago and want to make sure that I am doing what needs to be done keep the bike in top running condition. what do you suggest ?

All the questions you listed can be answered by using the search function under spark plugs. There are "How to Threads" with pics and a list of different plugs along how much they cost. They're just too many different threads to list, but nevertheless, all the information that you need can be found.

I too am planning to change out my plugs, I've already have purchased my replacement plugs. I'm still on my stock plugs at 19,700 miles.

Last edited:

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
i did replace with exact same plugs, bought from an auto parts store, was cheaper than MC shop also.

i had another thought...have they switched to winter fuel (oxygenated gas) yet?