Changed My Spark Plugs!

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
As the title says, I swapped out my old stock spark plugs (overdue for both years and mileage) for some long life Iridiums. As per reading, I didn't gap them at all - just plug and play. Old plugs were obviously used, but were otherwise in good condition and didn't appear to have been fouled in any way. Idle is slightly smoother, and the engine sounds a bit better when it's purring along. No real difference in power or the likes though, just acoustics. Survived an hour ride into Toronto, and an hour ride back, and I made sure to put the bike through its paces. An easy little thing to do, and although I didn't notice much in the way of benefits - the relief of saying "It's done." makes it worth it!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As the title says, I swapped out my old stock spark plugs (overdue for both years and mileage) for some long life Iridiums. As per reading, I didn't gap them at all - just plug and play. Old plugs were obviously used, but were otherwise in good condition and didn't appear to have been fouled in any way. Idle is slightly smoother, and the engine sounds a bit better when it's purring along. No real difference in power or the likes though, just acoustics. Survived an hour ride into Toronto, and an hour ride back, and I made sure to put the bike through its paces. An easy little thing to do, and although I didn't notice much in the way of benefits - the relief of saying "It's done." makes it worth it!

Too late now but yes, the gap should be checked PER NGK, section 3 (video);

NGK]NGK Spark Plugs USA

One of four plugs were dead on, one was off .001" which I didn't screw with. As you noted, I really didn't feel any difference in performance and mileage either but its done...

Last edited: