Chain

Yammi Dodger

Reaction score
Visit site
When should be the best time to renew your chain/Sprockets. Done 22,000 miles on this chain now from new, and the bike is now three and a half years old.

The reason that I'm asking this question is because when I had my last service at the Yamaha dealers I told them that there was a rattling sound which seem to be coming from the chain/sprocket area. After test riding the bike they told me that there was no problem with the chain & sprockets so I left it at that.

But as I left the dealers the rattle was still there and as been ever since. So I was wondering whether to renew the chain/sprocket any way. any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Phil.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What do the sprockets look like? Are the teeth worn down?

Here's what the manual says to look for...

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
May sound silly, but just check your clutch lever isn't vibrating and causing the rattle. I was convinced it was the sprocket, but no...

v1jay

Reaction score
Visit site
Doger - mine are still on original chain / sprokets. Bike has 26k on it and is a 06.. I ride everyday pretty much too. Chain looks okay on mines, but the rear Sproket has had better days - lol...

Also RE Levers, Titax levers are very wobbley and may make a noise when riding. Pazzo [or ny high end ones] tend not wobble/rattle as much...

Not much i can add to the above really:thumbup:

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Another good check is at the rear sprocket grab the chain and see if it will move sideways on the sprocket,there should be very little ,if any , sideways movement when you move it from side to side.

Yammi Dodger

Reaction score
Visit site
Another good check is at the rear sprocket grab the chain and see if it will move sideways on the sprocket,there should be very little ,if any , sideways movement when you move it from side to side.

Checked the chain today to see if there is any movement on the sprocket, and I was quite surprised how much play there was when I moved it from side to side. Will get it checked out and renewed in the next couple of weeks.

PS thanks Ozfazer6 didn't think of that one. :thumbup:

Yammi Dodger

Reaction score
Visit site
Decided to take my bike and have the chain checked out today, told the mechanic my concerns about the chain and he gave it the once over. Told me the chain is fine even though it as done over 22,000 miles. Also said the rattle which I am getting is coming from the front sprocket and is quite common on the fazer, plus he also adjusted my throttle cable which was slightly two tight. Well pleased with the Mechanic and he did not charge me....Result. :thumbup: