Chain/Sprocket Change

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thought I'd follow up on replacing my chain. I bought a continuous chain, so had to remove the swingarm to install it. I was able to get the swingarm off without removing the exhaust and easily removed the old chain. However; I figured since I was that far in, I may as well remove the swingarm completely and grease it up. So I removed the midpipe and tailpipe without touching the headers and that worked perfectly.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions and tips.

Thanks for the heads up... :thumbup:

BTW, did you have to loosen the muffler at all or was there enough "jiggle room" to just undo the two clamps and sneak the mid pipe out?

shuckle

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up... :thumbup:

BTW, did you have to loosen the muffler at all or was there enough "jiggle room" to just undo the two clamps and sneak the mid pipe out?

I had to loosen the muffler. The mid pipe has almost no wiggle room at all. Getting the muffler and mid pipe back together was the most difficult part of the project.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My chain needs replacing as well, and after reading this thread I have a question.

If I order the genuine OEM DID chain, Yamaha part #94582-11118-00, is it going to come continuous or broken? Does it include a master link? Not much info on any site I check, except that it appears to be 118 links, which to me would mean it is continuous and setup to go on the bike vs. a general DID 530 chain with 120 links that has to have one removed to fit the 6.

I realize I should probably call the local shop and ask these questions, just thought I'd try the forum first.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My chain needs replacing as well, and after reading this thread I have a question.

If I order the genuine OEM DID chain, Yamaha part #94582-11118-00, is it going to come continuous or broken? Does it include a master link? Not much info on any site I check, except that it appears to be 118 links, which to me would mean it is continuous and setup to go on the bike vs. a general DID 530 chain with 120 links that has to have one removed to fit the 6.

I realize I should probably call the local shop and ask these questions, just thought I'd try the forum first.

It should be one continuous chain with NO master link. The only thing is, you have to remove the swing arm bolt and pull the swing arm out just a little bit to get the new (and the old chain if not cutting off) chain on..

Stock sprockets do use the 118 link chain.

Last edited:

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for asking the question, Phrank. I appreciate you posting the results once you get them. Now get back to work on that last exhaust!

FZ6FUN4ALL

FZ 6 WFO
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the middle of putting a new chain on happyker's FZ6. She's on a cross country trip right now and she has a time sched. to meet. We couldn't find a front and rear sprocket locally. The chain is so stretched I could not do an adjustment and wheel alignment. This is how I came to find out how bad it was. So at least we're putting a new chain on and she will have to get her sprockets which are worn up the road.

Don't wait too long those sporckets will riun the new chain quickly !!

redoliander

Reaction score
Visit site
Currently I have a 15 tooth up front and stock rear. I am looking at going with stock 16 tooth and a 48 tooth rear. The stock chain was fine going down 1 in front. But with going up in the rear I'm having trouble figuring out what length chain I need. I'm thinking 122 link but not sure.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Installed the replacement chain today, took longer than expected mostly b/c of family interruptions. But what an excellent Saturday project! I learned a lot more about the bike, cleaned some areas that had probably never been cleaned before (massive amounts of greasy chain goop), and lubed up everything the service manual said to. It's probably mostly mental, but she rides soooo much smoother now.

Below is a pic after everything was apart just prior to pulling the old chain off:

photo_zps5ae28653.jpg

Overall an awesome project, glad I did it!:rockon:

Although I did break my cheapa$$ fender eliminator in the process. Just ordered the kit from Larry on eBay. Happy riding!

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
jeeeeez _ impressive mess that makes :)
well done - I think that is a bit more involved than I'm ready to get any time soon (but to be fair a continuous day without rain here is....well unlikely)
:thumbup:

squirly

Reaction score
Visit site
I am tring to fiqure out how many chain links my 08 fz6 has without counting them the manual does say. and im gonna replace the stockets also.
can anyone here tell me the stock
number of teeth for front and rear spockets and number of chain links?
please.:confused:

foracco

Safe Rider - mostly ;-)
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to this thread, I just ordered my stock Yamaha set from Yamahapart.com. 16/46/118.

I have this guy who does it for 120 bucks. I would have loved to do it myself and someone who knew but a little apprehensive when it comes to a certain level.

More when the parts arrive and I reach the shop.