Chain problem??

atticuss66

Reaction score
Visit site
I adjusted my chain and all seems right until i move my back wheel and the chain seems to too tight....move the wheel some more and it is loose again.

Wats up with this...chain or sprocket or both??

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I adjusted my chain and all seems right until i move my back wheel and the chain seems to too tight....move the wheel some more and it is loose again.

Wats up with this...chain or sprocket or both??

A chain, as it wears will have tight and loose spots. When/if it gets to an extreme, its time for a new chain and sprockets. Links NOT straightening out (coming off the front sprocket), excessive whine are all indicators of a worn chain.. The front sprocket cover, 3 bolts, usually like to hold lots of old chain goo (ie, clean)

Also, when adjusting your chain, adjust it at its tightest spot.

The chain likes to be clean, well lubed and the magic, total up and down # is 2" (just as the manual shows) at the tightest point. If you need an owners manual, I have it as a PDF file, PM me and I'll send it to you..

My chain, between the tight and loose spots, measuring at one link pin, might be 1/16", (6,000 miles on the chain currently).

atticuss66

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the good info.....i will adjust the chain at it's tightest spot and see.
I will check the front sprocket and see wats going on there. Back one looks good.
I am the 5th or 6th owner so who knows what has been done down there.
I have the bike manual but not more detailed tech manual.