Chain maintenance

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
So, the thermometer hit 67 degrees today and my thoughts have now turned the corner to full-on riding season! But, before I get the baby out, I want to do some basic maintenance, starting with the chain and sprockets.

The plan is to pull the rear wheel and completely remove the chain (I'm still running the stock chain) so I can properly clean both it and the sprockets. I remember a thread years ago about soaking the chain to help facilitate the removal of any gunk and there was some dispute over what would be the proper solution to use so as not to damage the o-rings in the chain. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate this thread, so I figured I'd ask and see what kind of responses I get from my friends!

So, what do you recommend for soaking the chain overnight? How about cleaning the sprockets (I'd rather not remove them from the wheel and bike). I'm taking any and all advice and want to hear the pros and cons, please.

:thumbup:

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
being a lazy guy, I use an aerosol can of brake cleaner,
put the bike on the center stand, while rotating the back
tire spray an entire can of the stuff into the chain and
sprockets, cleans awesome but makes a hell of a mess,
that's why I do it in a corner of the parking lot where I
bought the brake clean, it's a flash-dry product, evaporates
away in a few minutes and I immediately apply the chain
lube...the lube will get into the o-ring area before the solvent
has done any damage...then a short ride to warm up again,
and another brief lube application...Bob's yer Uncle

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, macem, for the reply, but just to clarify...I wasn't needing to know how to lube or clean the chain. I do that before or after every ride. I'm talking about actually taking the chain off and doing a VERY thorough job (mainly, getting the wheel-side of the chain which I tend to neglect during routine chain cleaning sessions).

Anyone else?

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
Soak and clean with Kerosene as this will not hurt the O-rings and will degrease and de dirt great.

But I personally would recommend just cleaning it with the kerosene and not soaking it overnight. Soaking it in anything could ?? allow the solution to penetrate inside the links and wash out the lube that is needed in there.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

Marc

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
You do realize you're going to have to remove the swingarm in order to remove the chain without cutting it, right?

You really only need to do the deep clean if you are getting kinks / stiff spots.

I know you have your mind set on this, and by all means have at it, but I'll tell you from experience (dual sports, never a street bike) it's pretty anticlimatic and the benefits to be gained by doing this vs. a regular on the bike thorough cleaning are nil.

Soak and clean with Kerosene as this will not hurt the O-rings and will degrease and de dirt great.

But I personally would recommend just cleaning it with the kerosene and not soaking it overnight. Soaking it in anything could ?? allow the solution to penetrate inside the links and wash out the lube that is needed in there.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

Marc

This ^^^

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Eh...lol...I didn't realize I'd need to remove the swingarm to remove the chain. Sooooo...plan B. :D

Looks like I'll be going with the good old thorough cleaning job while the chain is still ON the bike.

Thanks, guys, for the responses. :thumbup: