Chain and sprocket life span

Chain and sprockets life span

• Total voters

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
Currently on 33.5k miles with the original chain and sprocket. Got a bit of adjustment left and just starting to get the odd tight link but cleaning and lubing solves that.
Going to try and see out the winter with it then swap spring time.

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
Bought my 08 S2 with 11 thou on the clock around Feb this year. Now showing 21,000 miles and the chain is quite worn. My guess is that the former owner hardly ever lubed it as several links are stiff as hell. I've looked at the front sprocket and it clearly needs changing so the new OEM set is waiting in the garage for me plus a new splitter/riveter tool.

Dammit, now the sun has come out! To ride..... or change the chain......hmmm :rockon:

Well, thats todays 'no-brainer' out the way:thumbup:

For lube I prefer the teflon style dry stuff by any brand that I happen to find. Currently using Wurth ( very dry and seemingly invisible with no fling whatsoever ) and some new white lube branded 'ProCycle' available through Get Geared (UK) which is made in Germany. This is not a totally dry formula nor does it leave that horrible white goo stuck all over. It does appear to have minimal fling tho.

I was reminded by a Yam mechanic only yesterday that one should lube the chain after a ride ( every couple of tankfuls of gas ) as the lube has a cure time and is best left to soak in and set on a warm chain.

Makes sense to me ;)

heath_AU

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys

Well as it happens i managed to get 54000kms (33750 miles) from my stock chain/sprocket

Lucky for me i had just returned from a 1700 road trip up to see the MotoGP at Phillip Island 2 weeks ago and only coming back into my hometown the chain basically started siezing. I was able to drop it off at my local shop and they put on a new set for $460 AUD
Not bad at all.
The guy at the Yamaha dealer says they should normally be replaced after 30000kms or so and he was pretty surprised that i managed to get almost double that. Mind you i do ride my FZ quite regularly (daily) and always make sure the chain is free from grit and well lubed (especially when the weather is wet)

H

pointbreak

Reaction score
Visit site
'08 S2. Just clocked 60,000 miles. Visibly the chain looks ok. I've used a Scottoiler with dual injector all it's life. I do 350miles per week. I've got some chain stretch which can be seen when pulling the chain away from the rear sprocket at the 3 o'clock position. I knew it was time to change it.
Bike is no more anyway. Trashed it 2 weeks ago and have a fractured wrist.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently replaced my second set of chain & sprockets at 72,000 Km's (44,000 miles). It's not a hell of a lot but I would like to add that it sit's outside the whole year round, I also ride through the winter which doesn't help.

Sigg79

Reaction score
Visit site
Do I need to replace my chain and sprocket? The chain itself and rear sprocket look good, but the front sprocket is worn:

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

Does it have any life left, or do I need to change it ASAP?

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I only got 12,000 out of mine. Had to replace the chain and both sprockets. I lube my chain religously and that's all they lasted. Must be that heavy right hand. LOL

Azrael

Reaction score
Visit site
Do I need to replace my chain and sprocket? The chain itself and rear sprocket look good, but the front sprocket is worn:

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

Does it have any life left, or do I need to change it ASAP?

I can't really see how scuffed the teeth are from that angle, but they don't look too bad to me at all.

heath_AU

Reaction score
Visit site
My advice would be change the whole set. The front sprocket doesnt look too bad but some bikes allow you to install the sprocket backwards to alleviate any saw-toothing. Not sure if the FZ sprocket can be installed backwards. I would check it out.
But ive been told to not bother about getting a new sprocket with an old chain.
Besides if you are going to the effort of taking the sprockets/chain off you may as well replace all of it so save doing it all over again later

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
The rule of thumb for the dinosaurs was to adjust your chain and then pull it away from the sprocket at the 3 o'clock position on the wheel sprocket (rear) and the 9 o'clock position on the front (main or engine) sprocket. if you can pull it (the chain) far away enough to see daylight (a gap) between sprocket and chain, replace them.
Not sure how workable that is with modern kit. :confused:

Mac fz6n

Reaction score
Visit site
Just replaced my chain and sprockets with 73,000 klm (~45,000 miles) on the dial :eek:

I could have waited another few thousand, but I'm going on a long weekend away and wanted to play it safe.

Chain had a few dodgy links, but it was the teeth on the rear sprocket that had me worried, they were starting to flatten out.

New gear is much quieter and there is less vibration, so I'm happy I did it.

Cheers,
Mac.

Beerdrinker

2^57885161-1
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine as 78000km (48466mi) the sprockets are fine and the chain appearance is great but I need to change all the kit because the chain it's oval (is this the right term?).
I lube the chain every time I fill up the fuel tank and everyday when raining or go for long trips. :wav:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My OEM chain was starting to look a little unrelaxed at spots although the chain and sprockets looked like they had plenty of life left in the wear department. I had to pull the front sprocket to repair a leaky clutch rod seal so I opted to put a new RK 530 with new sprockets all at once. I stayed with the 530 because of the torque my motor makes. I changed it at a little over 19,000 miles. :)

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
I am about to replace my chain and sprockets and they have just over 47,000km (29,000miles). They still have some life but I am heading off for a 5,000km trip at Easter and don't want to take the chance. The chain had been lubed with belray superclean chain lube and only ever cleaned once.

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
My chain is coming up on 19k and starting to show some slight signs of wear, if I was really picky I would change it now but it will see me through this season and I'll do it next winter at about a predicted 24k

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure how to properly answer this question. I'm about to change my chain and sprockets now, but I've had a sticky link for at least the past 1600 miles or so.

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
What is a reputable place to buy the sprocket/chain for our bike? I wanna go with -1 front.
Also, the stock is 530 ('06), but I see some converting to 520. Is there any advantage (besides the wight)?