Ceramic Coated Headers, Mid Pipe & Connector pipe!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well this arvo, i got my headers, mid pipe, and connector pipe back from being ceramic coated...

So basically i had the whole exhaust, apart from the Ti end cans, ceramic coated inside, and out. Which also meant i had the Cat removed from the mid pipe, although, it still looks like the cat is in place, as the "bulge" is still part of the pipe...

I just love the results, the finish is pretty much as good as i could of hoped...45000km old headers came up like new. I cannot wait to get the whole system back on the bike in the next couple of days...

I attached the end cans to the connector pipe tonight, and sorta hung it all together for a quick couple of pic's...

View attachment 31690

View attachment 31691

:thumbup:

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, they look way better then new. :thumbup:
Can't wait to see them on the bike, also let us know how they hold the coat after some miles.

thieu

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Wolf
I was wondering about what you had one to eliminate the connector pipe that goes between the 2nd and 3rd pipe. Also did you have the cats that are part of the headers eliminated as well?

thanks!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Wolf
I was wondering about what you had one to eliminate the connector pipe that goes between the 2nd and 3rd pipe. Also did you have the cats that are part of the headers eliminated as well?

thanks!

First of all, the motor in the bike is an 04-06 motor, so it has no Cat's in the headers, like the 07+ FZ6's...so no issue there, just the bigger Cat further back in the mid pipe to worry about! :thumbup:

As for the connector that goes between 2nd and third pipe, i can only presume, you mean the exhaust gasket??? No problem here, that gasket is in the end pipe on an OEM system, but with the 2 Brothers connector pipe, slipping over the top of the mid pipe, this gasket becomes non existent.

Nice one,

For some mad reason I thought they would be black?

Nelly

There are 3 colours you can get in ceramic coating (as far as i know), Black, White, and Silver.

Wow, they look way better then new. :thumbup:
Can't wait to see them on the bike, also let us know how they hold the coat after some miles.

I have ceramic coated pipes on my other FZ6, and apart from a slight dulling once they got some heat into them, they have stayed as i had them made, pretty much perfect....but you do need to keep them clean for best results. The black does not seem to be quite as durable, and is a quite dull flat black, and as i have seen the black on another FZ6, that gets a lot more everyday riding than either of my FZ6's, and does not cleaned as often, and it has not held up so well, in fact, it looks pretty crappy.

Beautiful Wolf, I wish there was someone close to where I live that could do mine

How resilient is the finish to stone chipping?

Stone chipping does not seem to be an issue, i think because the coating is baked into the surface of the pipe, hence, chipping off of the finish does not happen.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks awesome mate :thumbup: now get it all on & running so we can hear the demonic sounds :rockon:

Won't be going on till next week now...just got a call from the painter...am not getting the sub frame, seat, headlight, etc,back till middle of next week now! Bugger! I am just jumping out of my skin to put the bike back together!!!

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
Those looks awesome!

I was thinking about getting my pipes ceramic coated this winter. I was considering getting black though - since pretty much everything else on the underside of my bike is black... but that comment about the black makes me think twice about that.

Though, to be honest, I have no idea why I want to get them ceramic coated anyway - the bike is still basically new, and I polished the headers a month or so ago and they still look phenomenal.

thieu

Reaction score
Visit site
Ahh - didn't know that about the 06 and older bikes only having one cat -

The pipe i am talking about is about half way down the section of exhaust that drops down from the engine - it's about an inch or two long and goes between the 2nd and 3rd pipe - perpendicular to them. - maybe it's an addition on the 07 plus as well?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ahh - didn't know that about the 06 and older bikes only having one cat -

The pipe i am talking about is about half way down the section of exhaust that drops down from the engine - it's about an inch or two long and goes between the 2nd and 3rd pipe - perpendicular to them. - maybe it's an addition on the 07 plus as well?

I have both an 06 FZ6, and an 07 FZ6, and as such have both exhaust sets up's, and from as far as i can see, both only have 3 parts...the headers, the mid pipe, and the end cans/connector pipe...design is slightly different, but only 3 parts for each...can you take a picture of what you are talking about, i am most confused.

What did it cost Jamie? Then I can double it and multiply by 7.5 for Perth prices ..... :BLAA:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$225. bloody good value i say!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is good value.

Now in Perth, by my calculations it will cost me $3,375 :eek:

;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol.....hate to know how much a full set vof Akro pipes would cost then....2nd mortgage maybe???

:BLAA:

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
I have both an 06 FZ6, and an 07 FZ6, and as such have both exhaust sets up's, and from as far as i can see, both only have 3 parts...the headers, the mid pipe, and the end cans/connector pipe...design is slightly different, but only 3 parts for each...can you take a picture of what you are talking about, i am most confused.

i think what he's talking about is the connector pipe between the 2nd header and the 3rd header right in the middle between. it is horizontal you cannot miss it. it sits in the space between the 2nd and 3rd header.both years have it this connector pipe and is easily visible... its just before the headers bend to join in pairs.

Haelous

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks GREAT, and $225 really isn't that bad for something so visible on this bike. I think it's actually an interesting alternative to the Yamaha Cowl, as the pipes look so good coated I'm not sure I could bring myself to cover them up.

I wonder how black pipes would look on a black bike...

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site

thieu

Reaction score
Visit site

i think what he's talking about is the connector pipe between the 2nd header and the 3rd header right in the middle between. it is horizontal you cannot miss it. it sits in the space between the 2nd and 3rd header.both years have it this connector pipe and is easily visible... its just before the headers bend to join in pairs.

Thanks Turbid! Thats the pipe that i am talking about!! And on Wolfmans pipes it is gone!