Calsci screen 8, 9.5 or 11"

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't stand the wind in my face or helmet!! Even tho in the cage I love the a/c in my face. Really thinking about the Calsci screen. I'm 6'3" and can't decide on which height! I wouln't mind a little on the helmet. Thanks everyone.

Iskyone

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't bother, I am 6' 2" and brought the 11" high and it flows the wind at a point that it sounds like a freight train. The way the screen angles back it deflrcts the wind right into the helmet. I did get the touring screen from Yamaha and its quiter. It's the angle of the faring mount.

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
I got the 11" and it was absolutely perfect for me. But I'm only a puny 5'10".

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have 9.5 and I am not as tall as you (5' 8'') and it is very noisy as the wind hits right top of my helmet. However, I do prefer it to Yamaha touring screen because it has a better protection for my torso IMO which was the main part of me I want it out of the wind. Angle of the screen is pretty steep towards back as mentioned above which is why I chose 9.5 over 11. I thought 11 would be too much on my way while getting on / off the bike. There is another popular one among this group (brand escapes me at the moment, but you can search for screens and you will find it) which supposedly has more upright shape to it which does a better job at reflecting the wind, but their tallest one is about the size of 9.5 (so I have heard).

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I am 6'1" and what bugs me is the noise. I wear custom earplugs but the FZ6 has far more buffeting than my Ninja 250R did. I like some air, especially in Summer, but want a screen that smooths things a bit. Some have suggested cutting down the stock screen. I would like to try the Puig but fear it would not improve things much. Searching this topic finds about equal opinions on both sides of the fence. Ugh!

Tim

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
<stuff snipped>
There is another popular one among this group (brand escapes me at the moment, but you can search for screens and you will find it) which supposedly has more upright shape to it which does a better job at reflecting the wind, but their tallest one is about the size of 9.5 (so I have heard).

Cee Baileys (web site = Cee Bailey's Motorcycle Products - For BMW, Yamaha, Ducati, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda, Harley Davidson, Triumph ... ) is one of them. Here's a partial paste from their site for the FZ6:

"...The OEM shield measures approximately 15"high x 15" wide. We have three sizes to suit most rider heights. All of our shields are approximately +4" wider than the OEM windshield.

Rider
5’7”/shorter - 20”high x 19” wide
5’8”- 5’11” - 22”high x 19” wide
6’0”/taller - 24" high x 19" wide"

I have the 22" high and am thinking I should have purchased the 24" high since I now have more noticeable wind rush on the forehead/top of the helmet (not that I mind too much) but no buffeting. I've switched it for the stock for the summer months for the cooling effects. The Cee Baileys DOES get most of my torso out of the wind; I'll switch back to it for the "post summer" riding (noticed my body stayed MUCH warmer this spring behind the Cee Baileys)

Hope that helps. I think "Puig" is the other brand FZ6ers recommend.

Last edited:

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
This is good. Keep the tesimonials coming. I want to get a really tall one for this winter. I'm tired of having to tuck in for the whole ride to work when it's in the teens...

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
I broke down last nite and bought the Cee Bailey 24"!!! That should break some wind!! What the heck, she is 10 days old!!

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
It takes 8-12 working days to get it!! I will post pics as soon as I can. I hope it breaks what I want it to break. Will look stupid a little but I don't care about looks. I hate the wind when it's cold!!!

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the CalSci +9.5. True, it may be a bit louder, but it really works well on the highway. I am about 5'8". I don't get any buffeting on my head at all. Best of all, it takes away all but the most violent truck wind blasts. I've had it for 2 years now.

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
I ended up buying a Cee Bailey's 24"!! Tried it for 70 miles this morning and I really like it. Being 6'3" tall is bad when you don't like wind. The wind now hits (less forcefully) right at top of my helmet. When I turn my head from side to side there is no snagging. I can actually hear the bike with visor up at 40 mph. If I lean down just 2 or 3 inches there is no wind. Also, at 50 or 60 mph there is no wind hitting my upper body at all! Very nice. I just wish I were 3 inches shorter. I think I'll end up on a V-Star 650 someday!!

Last edited:

clunk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Visit site
I put a Laminar Lip on top of an 11" CalSci to finally get my peace and quiet. Shoots the aesthetics all to hell, but you can't beat the wind/noise protection (or maybe you can with a Cee Bailey?).

View attachment 19384

I like the looks of the Cee Bailey a lot better ...

Last edited:

bcdiesel

Reaction score
Visit site
I ended up buying a Cee Bailey's 24"!! Tried it for 70 miles this morning and I really like it. Being 6'3" tall is bad when you don't like wind. The wind now hits (less forcefully) right at top of my helmet. When I turn my head from side to side there is no snagging. I can actually hear the bike with visor up at 40 mph. If I lean down just 2 or 3 inches there is no wind. Also, at 50 or 60 mph there is no wind hitting my upper body at all! Very nice. I just wish I were 3 inches shorter. I think I'll end up on a V-Star 650 someday!!

Does that little sticker that says "stop" on the front of the windshield come off or is it on there for good?

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
I put a Laminar Lip on top of an 11" CalSci to finally get my peace and quiet. Shoots the aesthetics all to hell, but you can't beat the wind/noise protection (or maybe you can with a Cee Bailey?).

View attachment 19384

I like the looks of the Cee Bailey a lot better ...
Clunk, could you elaborate a little about the Laminar?? I may do it for cool weather!!

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply! How is your vision with regard to the screen height, in other words are you looking over the screen or through it. I'm 6'2" and contemplating getting the same screen as you but in dark tint. I won't get tint though if it'll affect vision.
BC, the screen is really different than stock. I got the light gray and didn't notice any problems looking thru it. But, the top of the screen is STILL 2 inches below my eyes. The screen does have a good curvature. I'm sure I looked thru it 1000 times this morning but I can't remember it bothering me at all. Now the dark gray may be a different story. Maybe somebody will post about that shade. BTW, the website says 8-12 working days. I ordered mine last Sun. afternoon and recieved it this past Sat.!