BYF Glasspacks

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is a slightly different take on phrank's glasspack exhaust which has brough much discussion. Seen here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/43372-glasspacks-anyone.html

I'm not sure if I posted anything on here but i tried the exhaust de-baffling seen on sbn. exhaust mod pics - Sportbikes.net The result was a slightly louder exhaust at idle but had a weedeater effect after about 3k. This is my opinion and I didn't like it. For those that went on the central NJ ride this summer, that is what I had at that time. Before anyone asks, I don't have the exhaust and can't sell it as I have destroyed it in my build.

My ultimate desire is a good sound but I don't want it quite as loud as what phrank's is so I'm going to toy with a removable insert to quiet them down a bit if I can, otherwise my neighbors will have to live with it. I also want to leave the stock plastic shield on, so going for a bit of a sleeper look. I'm not fond of having it off, just looks a bit off to me.

Now the build. I don't have beginning pictures as i got to work and just didn't think about the pictures. I ordered some parts from summit racing and others got chopped from the old exhaust. I'll post details of the order later but the glasspacks, Y pipe and tips are from summit. The rest came from the exhaust I hacked up, including the inlet and mounting tabs. I have uploaded some pictures of where I currently am with it mostly welded up. I wish I still had access to the college shop welder and I could have used a TIG and a much cleaner result but this will do with some work.

This build might take a while to finish as i'm going to be traveling for work. I am also building this on the back porch of my apartment (yes concrete) with a little 110v mig welder (flux core wire), angle grinder, and dremmell for detail work. Due to this, I'm sad to say I am only going to be able to build one of these but if anyone wants additional pictures, dimensions, etc I can do that.

More to come... :)

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Summit Racing order details:
1) 2 x Glasspacks 1.75" inlet & outlet weld on style. part #: JEX-A3009B
Jones Exhaust A3009B - Jones Glasspack Mufflers - Overview - SummitRacing.com
2) 2 x Reducer 1.75ID to 1.625OD Part #: WLK-41930
Dynomax Performance 41930 - Walker Exhaust Pipe Adapters and Reducers - Overview - SummitRacing.com
3) 1 x 1.75" Y-pipe Part #: JEX-U1-1
Jones Exhaust U1-1 - Jones Exhaust U-Pipes - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Summit parts cost ~$60 shipped.

The reducers larger end is cut down and slides into the glasspacks. The smaller outlet is necessary so that the tips will fit into the stock plastic shroud I want to keep.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey man.. I think what you are doing is a very cool idea.

I do already have Leo's and they are hardly discreet.

I like the low cost and the stealth look. And yes.. one of these days I will turn on the mig welder I bought 3 years ago.. just need the right project to get me started

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
This is great! My goal was to offer a cheaper alteratave to some while showing it can be done with minamal mechanical skill! Seeing others drawing inspiration from my post is even better than the (very small) profit I made by building a few!

Thanks for posting and helping to keep some money in the hands of the forumites instead of the big exhaust company's!

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
why is there no after market exhaust for this bike i'm a newbie will the r6 pipe work and what about mapping hit and miss ??
There are loads of after-market exhausts for this bike. Just search for "exhaust". They are easy to fit and relatively cheap. You'll get loads of people chipping in soon saying what they have and what is the best in their opinions. Best way is just to search on Youtube for FZ6 exhaust and you can see each option and choose for yourself. They're all good and vary in price from Scorpion to laser.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
There are loads of after-market exhausts for this bike. Just search for "exhaust". They are easy to fit and relatively cheap. You'll get loads of people chipping in soon saying what they have and what is the best in their opinions. Best way is just to search on Youtube for FZ6 exhaust and you can see each option and choose for yourself. They're all good and vary in price from Scorpion to laser.

Available? Yes. Cheap? Hardly.